IGNORED

Vader vs Luke

Blinky

I especially like the side view of Darths ship and how you switched up the different views of the ship itself. Nice work! 8)

The original game just had two symetric sprites, one horizontal, and one vertical. I thought it would be more fun to have (and watch) seperate sprites for each direction and do not need to be symetrical. So I spent some time hacking the code to make it possible and it worked out pretty well.

I'm now looking into a way to add a 4th score digit. The original game was limited to a perfect score of 1080 points in 15 heats so a 4th digit was not that important. But since I hacked it to have unlimited heats a 4th digit would be fun for a hi-score challenge.

Any possibility of a cart?

Love to see it on on a cart too. I really have to solder my multicart now

so I can play it on the real thing. 'Cause the keys in emulators are just

not fast enough for a trick I used to do playing the original game.

I managed to hack a 4th score digit into the game as you can see below.

Now lets get that high score !

vdrvslk2.gif

Here's the new archive. with the new PAL and NTSC versions.

vadervsluke2.zip

I feel like I'm in the Death Star Trenches!

Yeah thats it ! I think I should change the story.

Yesterday I was playing my hack intensively and found out that there was a problem caused by the bigger sprites I use. Sometimes a collision happens when the ships are in different trenches (I really like the sound of that!).

I could fix this problem by shifting the X-wing up by 1 pixel. So heres release 3 of my hack.

I'd love to see my hack on a cart and plug it in for real. But I don't now

where to start and if it would be possible because of copyrights to the original game and using star wars trademarks. But if that's no problem then I need help with the label, manual and packaging.

vadervsluke3.zip

In both spites (luke and vader) one line is only one pixel high, the others are 2 pixels. It's the same in dodge'em. Can you fix it or is it a very bad error in the original rom?

I it is caused by timing differences for drawing the main race track and the one with the dots. Havn't found a fix for it. But will give it one more try.

In both spites (luke and vader) one line is only one pixel high, the others are 2 pixels.

I managed to fix it !

Both sprites have nice square dixels (double pixels) now. Darth Vaders Tie Fighter is still updated during screen time. so you can see a smal dixel shift. But the X-Wing is perfect though !

For the PAL version I also fixed a bug that when two lanes are changed at once the correct vertical distance is used.

vadervsluke4.zip

• 2 weeks later...