IGNORED

Worst...Port....Ever

Rocko

Doom for gba is awful. graphics are very  low res . blood is green goo. unplayable on non backlit gba.  sligthly playable on gba sp. bosses and cusscenes here cut from the game . control is a nigthmare.total half assed port  effort at a classic fps
Bullshit!

The GBA DOOM is one of the best, AND MOST COMPLETE Console ports of DOOM ever released! It's number two only behind the PSX version. For a 3D GBA game, it's pretty fucking awesome. And who cares if the blood is green? Cut scenes are still there. What are you talking about? This is the only console version that actually has the between-level map screens. I can agree that it's unplayable on a non lit GBA. But it is totally playable on a GBA SP. As for bosses, well, there haven't been many console DOOM's with the big bosses in them. It's just a fact. Though, DOOM II for GBA does have them. As well as almost every level from the original game.

If you want a HALF-ASSED Port, try the OTHER DOOM ports out there. This is number two. Halfassed is a port like the SNES port. Or the Saturn port. Or even the 32X or Jaguar ones. Those ones are terrible in comparison. This one is actually good. :roll:

The worst Game Boy port I have played is Pole Position on the Namco Museum.   It's very difficult to control IMHO.

Wait . . . Have they released that more than once? I find that Pole Position on Namco Museum has great controls. . .

Now, Super Breakout on the Atari Anniversary, OTOH . . . Blecch!

If you want a HALF-ASSED Port, try the OTHER DOOM ports out there. This is number two. Halfassed is a port like the SNES port. Or the Saturn port. Or even the 32X or Jaguar ones. Those ones are terrible in comparison. This one is actually good. :roll:

Hehehe... The GBA port *IS* the Jaguar version. :P

I don't care about the blood, but does the GBA sweep away the dead bodies? If I can't leave a trail of corpses like breadcrumbs marking where I've been, then it just ain't DOOM to me :-)

(Seriously, leaving bodies around was one of the hallmarks of DOOM and what it could get away with its sprite based engine...most other games in the genre haul the bodies away)

Good Gawd I was sooooooo dissapointed with Mat Mania for the Atari 7800. I mean come on! Where is the announcer? Where is Insane Warrior? Where is Golden Hulk? I loved the arcade version but this version was TERRIBLE!

Amen to that! Right on the money! Good lord what a screwed up job on that one.

CV

Two really bad ports:

Xenophobe for NES. That was so bad that (back in the early to mid '90s), I traded away the first copy of it that I found. I do have a copy now, but that's because I'm on a slow quest to collect NES games. The controls are all wrong, and it's like whoever wrote it only had ad copy of the original arcade to work from. The 7800 conversion is much better, except I remember there's a bug when you only play player 2 that starts player 1 after like 15 minutes.

Missile Command/Centipede (and maybe something else?) for Genesis. I first saw this on a demo unit at a Toys R Us. It was such a bad port, it almost stank up the whole aisle.

Missile Command/Centipede (and maybe something else?) for Genesis.  I first saw this on a demo unit at a Toys R Us.  It was such a bad port, it almost stank up the whole aisle.

The Arcade Classics for the Genesis, with the above two, plus Pong. That was the best out of the three, which was pretty sad. We were bitching about that on here a couple weeks ago, as a matter of fact. Too lazy to look around for it and do a link for you though, sorry :D

Parker Brothers' "Q*Bert" for the VIC-20 is rather dull. I know the VIC, in particular in 1983 may have been an inferior machine, but even I can make a somewhat better looking Q*Bert clone.

The Atarisoft titles (Jungle Hunt, Pole Position, Moon Patrol?) are quite OK on the VIC, at least compared with the C64 ports - haven't really played the arcade or Atari originals.

If you want a HALF-ASSED Port' date=' try the OTHER DOOM ports out there. This is number two. Halfassed is a port like the SNES port. Or the Saturn port. Or even the 32X or Jaguar ones. Those ones are terrible in comparison. This one is actually good. :roll:[/quote']

Uh.. no it isn't. I don't know what GBA one you played' date=' but this one is far from a Jaguar port. The Framerate is actually playable. And I've played them all and the GBA's framerate is by FAR the fastest. (Not counting the N64 or PSX.)

GBA DOOM has 32 levels. Jaguar has 24. (A few are DM maps.)

Jaguar has no music during gameplay.

Jaguar has no messages on screen.

Jaguar has no story text.

GBA has more cheats.

Jaguar has no Invunerability Sphere, Berserk, Radiation Suit or Automap.

Jaguar DOOM has one episode with all the levels. GBA has levels split into 3 episodes like the PC.

It may use the Jaguar mapset like many, but it was most definitely not a Jaguar port IMHO. There are too many differences, especially framerate. I find I can actually enjoy playing the GBA version. Same as the PSX version. Especially with Strafe. Jaguar doesn't have that. (Nor do a few others. Lack of L or R buttons.)

DOOM Comparison Guide covers all versions.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/fil...le/doom_all.txt

(Might need to copy and paste a second time.)

Worst port in the classic games to modern consoles category:

Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits for the GBA. Published by Majesco, none of the actual games are emulated... only bits of the game's attract mode. But even then, the emulation is far too slow to warrant good gameplay, should they have used emulators.

But what bothers me isn't the fact that the games are all reprogrammed for the GBA. Reason I'm picky is because none of the games feel right. The only game on there that even remotely feels like its arcade counterpart is Defender. Overall, I say a very sloppy port of four games that deserve so much better!

Where was Digital Eclipse when this monstrosity went out the door? :sad:

If you want a HALF-ASSED Port' date=' try the OTHER DOOM ports out there. This is number two. Halfassed is a port like the SNES port. Or the Saturn port. Or even the 32X or Jaguar ones. Those ones are terrible in comparison. This one is actually good. :roll:[/quote']

Uh.. no it isn't.

Yes it is' date=' smart guy.

http://next.videogame.it/html/articolo.php?id=2002

Nextgame.it: Speaking of the game: will it be a full conversion of the original, or will there be "cuts" or (in opposite way) new levels, news monsters, new weapons, new multiplayer modes?

David Palmer: The game is a full conversion of the DOOM Jaguar code to the Game Boy Advance. So while some of the levels don't exactly match the PC version of DOOM, the translation is very close to the original. There are 24 levels for single player, divided into 3 episodes. The weapons and monsters are pretty much the same as the PC version (but there's no Cyber Demon or Spider Mastermind, since those two weren't included in the Jaguar version).

It's not in my view. The GBA is FAR from the Jaguar version. Maybe the engine is, but the GBA version has so much more. So it's no where near a Jaguar port in my view.

If it were simply a Jaguar conversion, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Why port the Jag version of Doom to the GBA?

It seems that porting from the original PC code or even the 32X would've been smaller steps code-wise . . . And those versions were infinitely better.

All GBA FPS's suck oceans upon oceans of ass . . . It's not designed to handle them. Maybe if it had an analog stick instead of 4 position, and slightly smoother pseudo3D, they would work . . .

Hhhmmm, are any planned for the DS? Those might just be playable.

GBA DOOM has 32 levels. Jaguar has 24. (A few are DM maps.)

Your website says the Jaguar version has 28?

I wonder where I got 28 from. Whatever. It's still less than the GBA has.

Yes' date=' but IT IS THE JAGUAR port. That is a FACT. Sheesh. :roll:[/quote']

Heretic, Hexen, Strife were all created from the DOOM Engine, but I dare you to call them a port of DOOM.

Doesn't matter anymore. The POINT IS that the name of the thread is "Worst port ever" and the GBA port is NOT the Worst. It is STILL better than most of the other DOOM ports out there. If you want a "Worst Port" of DOOM, why choose the GBA one? You should pick the REAL bad ones. Saturn. 32X. SNES!! Not GBA! I mean, sheesh!

If you want a "Worst Port" of DOOM' date=' why choose the GBA one? You should pick the REAL bad ones. Saturn. 32X. SNES!! Not GBA! I mean' date=' sheesh![/quote'']

Fair enough... how about the Atari 2600 port? :ponder: :P

LOL. Non-existant. But if it did exist, you know I'd be looking for one! :D

If you want a "Worst Port" of DOOM' date=' why choose the GBA one? You should pick the REAL bad ones. Saturn. 32X. SNES!! Not GBA! I mean' date=' sheesh![/quote'']

Fair enough... how about the Atari 2600 port? :ponder: :P

LOL. Non-existant. But if it did exist, you know I'd be looking for one! :D

Not quite non-existent ... just fictional.

(Unfortunately, the official and semi-official pages for it seem to be going away...)

Yep. They went all out, though it's not too hard really to make that now-a-days. Didn't someone code some sort of Image scanning program to put images in 2600 games? Then they just dump it onto a EPROM or whatever and make a fancy label. It's a neat gag though. They should have given it away in a contest.

id should do the same with DOOM 3.. but it's already coming out, so oh well. Still.. a fake DOOM on the NES.. They could make it a top down shooter like Smash TV.

Williams Arcade Classics on Tiger game.com. The g.c just can't handle action games; Sinistar in particular is horrible- blurring makes the game stupidly difficult to play. Centipede and Frogger are barely much better.

Rastan on C64; it's a port of the Spectrum version, utilizing none of the C64's features, and catering to all of the Speccy's weaknesses. Everything is done in character graphics (no sprites were harmed... or used... in the making of this game), the characters are monochrome, controls are jerky... I tend to dislike any Spec-to-64 port on principle, simply because the 64's capabilities are never used.

Asteroids on LCD handhelds by MGA; released alongside Missile Command, Super Breakout, and others... while MGA tried to maintain at least a modicum of the original gameplay mechanic in the other ports, Asteroids became a slide-and-shoot game with slightly more play value than My First Pac-Man.