IGNORED

Sytems that had padle controllers

sku_u

Expanding on the trackball thread, which systems had paddle controllers available.

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Atari 2600

Atari 5200 (prototype or modded only)

Atari 7800 (2600 paddles)

Commodore 64

NES (VAUS Controller)

Astrocade (sort of)

I'm sure there must have been others.

Fairchild Channel F has a knob that can be used like a joystick, a paddle knob, or an action button.

I finally saw that at PhillyClassic in like 2002. Great idea, though the construction wasn't reasurring. It would be sweet to have a system that had a controller that could handle Ikari Warriors...unfortunately, given how all of today's stick's need to be thumable, I don't think it's gonna happen...

I think the Playstation had what was called a "Volume Controller" in Japan. It was mostly for racing games and Arkanoid R, Taito's beefed-up sequel to Arkanoid.

Also, racing wheels are essentially heavily modified paddle controllers. I wouldn't use 'em to play Arkanoid, though... trust me on this one.

JR

I always wished the CV superaction stick could turn to make Frontline smoother.  I love that game as is but the turning stick for aim would be way better than the clockwise/counterclockwise buttons.

What the heck was the dial on the bottom of that stick supposed to be for, anyway? All I know is that you can kick a lot of Konami's games into turbo while rolling the dial. Unfortunately, you must CONTINUE to roll the dial while you're playing to sustain the effect. That's some weird, wild stuff, Ed.

JR

The Coleco Gemini had a controller with both a paddle and a stick.  

coleco_gemini.jpg

Yeah, but you needed a splitter cable to get the paddles to work.

I grew up with a rebadged Gemini, the "Columbia Home Arcade". The controller was pretty decent as a stick, and the paddle thing was kinda neat. A cute little device in all.