IGNORED

Do you own a NUON as well as a Jaguar? (Survey of sorts...)

justclaws

Do you own a NUON in addition to a Jaguar?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a NUON in addition to a Jaguar?

• Yes, I own both!
    • Jaguar Only
    • NUON Only
    • Neither (I'm so sad!)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I own a NUON with every single game title officially released (I don't count the homebrews). I also had a Jag system, but ultimately didn't find it to appeal to me so I traded it for a 5200.

My setup:

*Samsung N2000

*2 Logitech pads

*4 HPI controllers (2 of each style)

*Ballistic (x2)

*Iron Soldier 3 (legit version with full case and instructions!)

*The Next Tetris (very rare!)

*Merlin Racing (Merlin Racing > Mario Kart!)

*Tempest 3000 (meh, Tempest 2k > Tempest 3K)

*Freefall (tough but fun once you figure out the odd control scheme)

*Space Invaders XL (surprisingly good!)

What if the NUON had been a commercial success? Hmm...it's hard to imagine that given that many doomed it right from the start. I personally enjoy the NUON and which it would have taken off, even just for the DVD player enhancements that it offered. I don't really view this as the Jaguar 3 at all, but rather, a completely independent platform without any ties to previous consoles and or platforms. Kind of like a CD-i with more potential in a way.

I own a Nuon, the Samsung N501, along with a Jaguar. I think it's a pretty cool idea that never caught on (obviously) and never ever even came close to its full potential. I can't even imagine what would have happened had it caught on because of what Adrian said, that it was pretty much doomed from the get go. I went for the Nuon over other DVD players for one reason - the VLM. I enjoyed my Jaguar's so much that this was a must have.

The VLM is kind of an odd curiosity.  

I never got into it nor could I figure out why people are so rabid about it.  

Please explain.

First off, it's unique: nothing to do with a lame beefed VU-meter (PlayStation anybody?) or winAmp and such.

It is the evolution of Minter's idea of light and sound (I bought Colourspace for the 8-bit ages earlier, WOW).

If you like to listen music, it's entertaining watching abstract patterns slightly linked with it, and on a wall projector with a good audio system it's quite an experience.

This is my opinion, of course :)

The VLM is kind of an odd curiosity.  

I never got into it nor could I figure out why people are so rabid about it.  

Please explain.

Do you use any mind altering substances? It comes in especially handy for those moments of psychedelia. You're probably thinking, "well duh!"

No, seriously, in my setup it's very convinient to use. All my sound comes out both my TV and my stereo. Since my DVD player is hooked up to both I can play a CD and enjoy the patterns casually as I do other duties. I don't even bother using the CD player in my stereo anymore... I don't just sit there for hours and watch the pretty colors. But it works great for parties and what I mentioned previously. Since it plays MP3s it can go on for hours. My friends, love it and so do I.

Yeah - I own the Jag, Jag CD, and 2 Nuons (Toshiba 2300 and Samsung N501). I got my Jag for Tempest 2K, the Jag CD for VLM, and the Nuon for VLM2, Tempest 3K, and the open SDK that VMLabs released for it.

And on a related note, I got a Gamecube in anticipation of Unity. Damn that Minter - he has cost me a fortune in hardware - LOL

Stephen Anderson

I've got a Jaguar/Jag CD, with about 50+ games, and i've got both a Samsung N501 and a Toshiba SD-2300 Nuon player, along with all the North American released games including Iron Soldier 3 "demo" and The Next Tetris. I've also got 3 Logitech Nuon gamepads, and a H.P.I. Warrior and Stealth gamepad.

I bought my N501 because I considered it to be the spiritual successor to the Jaguar. With Tempest 3000 on it, and with Jeff Minter doing so much work on it, I just had to get it. But they tried putting the Nuon out at the end of the dot-com bust, and they just couldn't get money to release more games. I really wish a few more titles would have come out, so we could see how far Nuon technology could be pushed.

Merlin Racing is really good (from the makers of Atari Karts, no less) and Freefall 3050 A.D. is really unique, and seriously challenging. The Next Tetris and Space Invaders aren't anything to write home about, though. Iron Soldier 3 is on the PSOne, and it's suprisingly close to the Nuon version.

Hi Stone !

Why 250 Pounds ?

Nuon is dirt cheap these days... I saw some new units for ?20-50 euros on ebay already. Of course those are the european models without joyports, but adding joyports should be easy if you actually want it and have some electronics skills.

And getting T3k shouldn't be that expensive either ;)

Although I can understand your statement. I own a nuon player without controller ports as well and even though I could add controller ports I guess I'm simply too busy with other things (or too lazy ;) ) to do it.

It's not a question of money though, in my opinion.

Regards, Lars.

I have only the Jaguar, right now, but I have always intended, and still do, to get a NUON. When it first came out I wanted one for IS3, T3K, Freefall, VLM and becuase I hadn't yet upgraded to DVD. I've since bought a DVD player, but only a cheap $50 one becuase I still intend to get a NUON for the other stuff above. I too, would consider it a spiritial successor to the Jag, only becuase of the Jaguar Sequels on it(including the VLM). Freefall just sounds SOOO cool and unique, I MUST have this game! I would have had it by now if more games had come out for it.

So, What is the best version I should be looking for, and is it still possible to get IS3?

To Adrian M.-The VLM rocks! I also, never play music cd's in anything but my Jaguar anymore, I have it all hooked up to my surround sound and with a big TV or projection screen it's awsome! it's cool to relax too, or to leave running at parties etc. and basicall can turn your place into a dance club if you have the room, the soundsystem and VLM on the wall playing, too cool! I'd love to get the VLM 2 for this same purpose, to enjoy it's faster&higher res graphics, and to give my aging Jagcd a restbit.

So, What is the best version I should be looking for, and is it still possible to get IS3?  

It seems to pop up on eBay a lot less frequently than before. And I've since sold off all my free loose copies that I got from various deals in the past.

Gotta tell you though...having a complete disc/case/manual copy of IS3 really is something...I consider it one of the holy grails of all my gaming collections! :)

I have both. Two Jags(one K and one M) and one Jag CD and about 60 Jaguar games. I have two Nuons, one Toshiba SD2300 and one Samsung N501 and every commercially realeased Nuon game. My copy of Iron Soldier 3 is the recalled/demo copy that Nuon-Dome gave out a few years ago. Thanks Nuon-Dome. :) The SD2300 is hooked up to my TV in the living room, because it has better movie playback. The screen capture/screen saver on my SD2300 is from Blade Runner, where Harrison Ford is running through the streets with the big neon Atari logo in the background. Since I'm a big Atari geek, it's very cool to me. :D My N501 is in my game room, it has the better VLM and has the ability to play home brews. I bought a Nuon for Tempest 3000, new VLM and to complete the Iron Soldier trilogy.

Like Stephen, I mainly bought a Gamecube for Unity. I hope an Xbox version of Unity comes out though. Isn't there going to be some kind of new VLM included with Unity, the GC can't even play music CD's and has no hard drive to store music, so it's kinda limited on the GC platform.

Both my parents and I have a NUON player -- the N501. As a standalone DVD player, it rocks. My parents bought theirs and have had no problems. Because I liked it so much, I purchased my own a year later, and it has since stopped playing regular DVDs altogether, so I disconnected it. I was really impressed with the DVD features that the system has, and it stinks it was doomed from the start. As a $75.00 budget DVD system though, it was great until it died.

I loved the fact you could play VCDs and MP3s built in. I bought an Xbox for its CD storage capacity mostly, and it doesn't have built-in support for either of those...

Hi Stone !

Why 250 Pounds ?

Nuon is dirt cheap these days... I saw some new units for ?20-50 euros on ebay already. Of course those are the european models without joyports, but adding joyports should be easy if you actually want it and have some electronics skills.  

And getting T3k shouldn't be that expensive either  ;)  

Although I can understand your statement. I own a nuon player without controller ports as well and even though I could add controller ports I guess I'm simply too busy with other things (or too lazy ;) ) to do it.

It's not a question of money though, in my opinion.

Regards, Lars.

N504s are expensive...;)

I know I could do it, but it's a lot of effort which would be better spent elsewhere. Maybe another time...

Stone

Yeah, you're thinking about the RCA DRC480N. Unfortunately it's kind of a lobotomized NUON player - it has the VLM built in and it runs at a higher res than the Samsung N501, but it has no controller ports and won't run commercial games. But it will play homebrew games, which you can control using the remote.

Kind of a cool footnote in NUON history, but not a very useful player for gaming. It is my main DVD player in my living room, though, and works very well.