IGNORED

My first 7800

liveinabin

YAY! Just won an ebay auction for a 7800...from France!! Why from France? because there they were available in a variant fitted with a SCART lead (better than composite), my 2600 games are gonna look sweet!

Right, as I've never owned (or in fact used) a 7800 before, what's good? I like more 'old school' games, not really a fan of late 80's style platformers - so what's worth geting hold of (and don't tempt me with NTSC only releases )

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

YAY! Just won an ebay auction for a 7800...from France!! Why from France? because there they were available in a variant fitted with a SCART lead (better than composite), my 2600 games are gonna look sweet!

Does the French version have a redesigned motherboard or is it a modied PAL 7800? If its a modified PAL board, are there schematics of it so I can add scart output to my PAL 7800?

Robert

I've heard tell that a SECAM 2600 only displays 16 colors...

I wonder if the 7800 is similarly specified or do SECAM 7800 games come out in full color and the 2600 ones in 16 colors on this machine?

Maybe the 16 color limit is coded into SECAM carts and PAL ones will give a proper color display?

sTeVE

Even if you like the old school type games, a few late eighties games are MUST haves for the 7800 and I garantee that you won't be disappointed; Commando, Ikari Warriors and TowerToppler are just three of quite a few good ones...of course classics like Asteroids, Dig Dug, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong&jr., Galaga, Joust, etc. have definative versions on the 7800 (minus the actual arcade sound do to the 2600's TIA chip-well Commando and Ballblazer use the 8-bit POKEY chip).

SECAM 2600s only do 8 colours normally. (There have been reports on some strange colour effects in some games). Also the Colour/BW switch will alway be read as BW. The BW switch itself still would allow you to turn off the colours in hardware though.

There are no special SECAM 2600 games. Atari put a special SECAM colour mode into most of their PAL games, which gets selected via the Colour/BW switch.

The French 7800 with the SCART output (there also are models with normal RF output in France) is just a modified PAL 7800. The PAL RF modulator circuit has be replaced with a special RGB daughter-board. I think khryssun had some fuzzy pictures of his Frech 7800 console including with the pinout of the RGB connector on his website. I don't remember the url right now, but a search in the AtariAge message board data base should help you to find it.

BTW, another advantage of the SCART 7800 is that it doesn't suffer from the colour-loss problem, that the normal PAL 2600/7800 consoles have with some NTSC 2600 games. The colours would still be wrong, but at least they won't go away completely anymore.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Cool, thanks Eckhard. I was a little worried how big a part the Secam thing would play in this console. So its just PAL with a better lead. great.

Cheers for the recommendations Gunstar, I'll get the Classics (though I wasnt a fan of Commando or Ikari Warriors first time round - army stuff never did it for me). I've heard tower-toppler is good.

keep em coming! Is 7800 Xenophobe as good as it is on other systems?

7800 Xenophobe was the sole reason I wanted the 7800 in the first place!!!

Yes...it is good. I actually prefer it over all other home console versions I have played...The Lynx has the best port, and Nintendos looks good..but the colors are faded and it seems like they only used a palette of like 4 colors on the NES for that game. The 7800 version doesn't have quite the variety of the others...but the gameplay is 100% intact.

Ikari Warriors and Commando are other must haves for that system.

I think Eckhard covered pretty much everything, but I'll just add that khryssun web site is here.

Also, I have a SCART 7800 as well. Judging by the serial numbers, it seems to be a later model than the one on khryssun's site. There also is a difference between our models. In his pictures there is only one daughterboard shown, on mine there are two.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org