IGNORED

5200 4 port problems (re-post from 5200 forum)

128Kgames

New 5200 4 port owner here with problems looking for any help:

Hooked up the console and popped in a Pac-Man cart. System came on with a wavy image, sort of diagonal lines slanted right (/) like the picture was out of whack. Tried switching the 5200 to channel 2 but got the same thing. Switched it back to channel 3 and then changed the TV channel to 2. OK, so now I got a stable image so to speak but fuzzy and black and white (which I expected) but stable enough to start a game. Sound came through fine and I could play the game but again, wrong channel and still with a messed up picture on channel 3. (Tried other carts as well, just to be sure!)

Googled for Atari 5200 info and came across this forum (been to this site before but not for 5200 info as I've owned a 7800, now currently just a 2600 plus Coleco's, Bally's and Vectrex's).

Searched for anything that looked related but found nothing. Went back to check on the 5200 only to find a black screen. Yup, looks like it "died" while I was busy searching for a fix. Took it apart for some basic troubleshooting and cleaning with compressed air. Found no broken leads on the board, bad solder, etc. and re-seated all the chips.

Way to go Atari putting all those sockets on the board (de-soldering chips is not my favorite pastime!) but you lose points for the RF shield! (what, no screws?)

Nothing. Black screen remains. So where do I go from here? Any known issues like this? Do I get the board repaired or replaced and where would I go for this? Pick up another 4 port and just swap chips or the whole board?

Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.