IGNORED

Are my NES consoles dead?

I have three NES consoles. Had the usual flashing light, game won't load problems. Then I got a cleaning cart, the one that you insert and depress, and move back and forth to clean the connector.

After using it several times, on all 3 consoles, one now works first time everytime, and the other two do not.

Are they ready for the rubbish bin, or is there anything else I can do?

In this case, I think the games need to be cleaned and/or the 72-pin connector is bent so it can not make a good contact with the games. To clean the games use A Q-tip dipped in Windex(or rubbing alcohol) and rub it along the connectors of the games. Alot of dirt might come off so keep cleaning them until no more comes off.

If still the systems do not work, the 72-pin connector is causing the problem. You can order a new one off some sites and replace it yourself, or you could bend the pins back yourself by opening up the NES. A good guide can be found here:

http://www.classicgaming.com/features/arti...cles/nesrepair/

I did this for one of my NES systems and now it works perfectly. Hope this helped :D

Well, you can always buy a new pin connector. They are very easy to replace. Or you could try and clean the connector yourself, if you are prepared to spend some time with it. I am pretty certain that you will get the other two up and running after a good cleaning.

If a connector is in really bad shape use a small file (I use a diamond file) to file each of the pins on the connector and then use Ispopropanol or some similar cleaning alcohol to clean the pins. And also you could try to bend the pins carefully upwards, to make better contact with the carts. With this method I have gotten every single NES to work I have bought, but it does take quite some time to do ...

Although a cleaning kit helps keep your NES in working order, it doesn't completely cleans it. Probably the connectors on your NES units have become too dirty for your cleaner to make a difference.

Also try cleaning the NES carts with a qtip with alcohol before using it. If you want more stringent results, then get a security bit to open the carts and clean them by using a standard pencil eraser on the contacts. Unlike some rumors say, this method does not scrape nor damages the cart's pins.

Another reason could be one or some of the connector pins has lost its bending ability staying in a position that does not touch an inserted NES cart. I recommend you replace the connectors with a new one. 72-pin connectors are cheap and abundantly available on E-bay. The new ones have a tighter design which helps reduce the blinking problem. It doesn't really matter if you get them gold plated or plain silver, but preferences may vary. Replacing the connector is very easy to do. Do a search on the forum's archives to find out more.

Although a cleaning kit helps keep your NES in working order, it doesn't completely cleans it. Probably the connectors on your NES units have become too dirty for your cleaner to make a difference.  

Or that after cleaning the first deck the CLEANING KIT was too dirty.

I had tha tproblem when I was fixing my deck up. Had to scrub teh dirt of my deckc leaner several times during the process.