IGNORED

Thoughts about Odyssey?

BassGuitari

A couple years ago I bought a complete Magnavox Odyssey (the chips and game pieces are still wrapped) because I thought it would be neat to own the first video game system ever.

Now it has occurred to me than in these two or so years of owning the Odyssey, I've only set it up two or three times.

Question for Odyssey owners: do you actually play yours, or do you consider it merely a collectors' item? For me personally, it's just something to say you have. I think having to set the games up and stuff like that has probably prevented me from playing it more than anything. The tennis game is neat (as neat as Pong can be), but I have Odyssey 100 and 300, so those are two more reasons not to bother setting up my Odyssey.

I have a NIB Magnavox Odyssey thats still in it's shrinkwrap, and signed by Ralph Baer himself!! and he dated his signature, 1968!!!!!!!!!

And I know it's his signature, because I e-mailed him and sent him a scan of the box, and he said that he indeed had pesonally signed that box. It was a gift, from him, to a co-worker. And as far as he knew that co-woker had died.

cha-ching I have the most valuable model around!

My parents' Odyssey is still in its box in the closet next to my old room. They gave the Odyssey2 away 20 years ago though. The Odyssey probably hasn't been set up in longer than that, and I would imagine some of the game pieces and overlays are missing. I would also imagine that before long it'll be tough to find a TV you can plug that thing into.

I wouldn't want them to give it away or throw it out or sell it, but I also would rather play it in emulation (or simulation, whichever :D ) than uncrate the real thing and set it up on a sufficiently old TV.

I have a NIB Magnavox Odyssey thats still in it's shrinkwrap, and signed by Ralph Baer himself!! and he dated his signature, 1968!!!!!!!!!

How is that possible? The system came out in 1972, it was still in development stages in 1968.