IGNORED

Does anyone here think Atari sucks?

I for one am a huge fan of anything Atari. In my humble opinion the Atari 2600 is the greatest game system of all time, but I do realize with so many people on this website that there actually might be a couple of people who could care less about atari even if it is called Atariage. I was just wondering if people like this existed on the website. My guess is a couple of them probably post in the politcal forums.

I personally think that 99 percent of the people here love atari. but I do believe that there is atleast one percent of the people here that don't like atari and come for other reasons. Those reasons being that there are many other things to do than talk about Atari. Just think of the forums that have very little to do with Atari. 1)Modern Gaming 2)political Forum 3)Entertainment and sports forum 4)Current events Forum 5)General Chat Forum 6)Pong system forum. Although this site is called Atariage there many things to do here that have nothing to do with Atari.

There's an Atari system or game for everyone. I'd say it's nearly universally liked, considering its broad, broad spectrum of classic games and systems, modern games and modern collections of classics. Even the modern remakes of the classic games are pretty good... the new Pong on PS was great, so was Asteroids and Missile Command. I still need to get Centipede...

And then there are classic games that were on Atari systems from other companies, heh. The new Q Bert, Pac Man World, and the first new Frogger were great, and those all found a nice comfy home on a few Atari systems.

Well, it depends on which Atari you mean. If you're referring to the dark period where Atari was a subsidiary of Hasbro, then yes, I would definitely say that I hate Atari. Hasbro disgraced the brand name with a wide assortment of awful classic remakes (I don't care what ANYONE says... Q*Bert on the Dreamcast blows with the force of a record-breaking hurricane) as well as Glover, the first (and luckily only) game to star the Hamburger Helper hand.

If you're talking about Warner's Atari, Bushnell's Atari, or even Infogrames' Atari, I don't really have a beef with any of them. Even Tramiel's Atari had its moments, when Nintendo forced them to get back into the video game business despite Jack's loud protests. It was awesome to watch the once-dead 2600 make a triumphant comeback in 1987. Some of its later games were so advanced that they blew away nearly everything else that had been released for the system.

JR

Jess hit on the head. I love Atari because it was a fond rememberance of my youth, but I did not not like everything that Atari did or produced. They were one of the reasons for the video game crash with the sheer amount of garbage they produced and the arrogance of the company where one executive bragged that he can put horseshit in a cartridge and it would sell. Some of their practices were mindboggling bad like bad ports, distribution practices under the Tramiels and the production of more carts than machines. I wince at the horribly executed Swordquest series where they tried to cram unplayable "games" down the public's throat for an incredibly half baked contest that they did not follow through on. I am not so much of a fanboy to recognize how much these attitutdes toward the paying public brought the company down. It should serve as a cautionary tale for the existing console and game makers.

Well, when I was growing up, I felt Atari sucked...

Just the home systems and computers...

Why you ask?

Because I didn't have them. :-)

My family got an O2, not a 2600.

First home computer.. Vic-20..

Then, C64, then SX-64, then Amiga 500, then 1200..

So, all my life, it was:

VCS sucks!!! UFO is the best game ever!!!

400 sucks, membrane keyboard? Vic-20 rules!!

800 sucks, too expensive and too big.. C64 rules!!!

EVERYTHING SUCKS, the SX-64 RULES!! (I shouldn't have sold that one! :-( )

ST sucks, GREEN desktop? EEwww.. Amiga!! Amiga!!

Then I got out of all that, got a PC and started developing and working in databases... (Then phone systems, then midrange systems, then networking.. weird, huh? )

After years of PC, I get back into classics thru emulation, and actually play some Atari stuff.. You know what? It's not bad..

In fact.. It's pretty good.. Some of those VCS games are awesome in fact..

I can now admit that I actually wanted an Atari 800 more than the C64. Just something about the design. But I still don't know much about the Atari 8bits..

ST.. er.. um.. Amiga RULEZ!! :-) :-) But I've gained some love for the ST thru emulation...

For me, it was what I didn't have... As a kid, I couldn't appreciate all systems, only mine. :-) Now, apparently, I'm trying to gather one of everything.. Kind of like a half Noah's Ark for consoles and computers. :-)

Actually tho, I was most verbally anti-Nintendo... NES specifically.. Stupid Mario and his ilk..

Yep, I never had an NES. :-)

Then I got a PocketPC, and found a great NES emulator.. And.. Those games ROCK.. Wow.. I won't say I was missing out, because we couldn't have afforded it at the time.. But thru age, I've gained some perspective..

desiv

Now, it's just the Mac's that SUCK!!!

(Kidding, I have one of them now too.. :-) )

I wince at the horribly executed Swordquest series where they tried to cram unplayable "games" down the public's throat for an incredibly half baked contest that they did not follow through on.

Heh, I wonder how receptive the new Atari would be to picking that up again and finally making and releasing the final part of Swordquest. You know, an inexpensive build sorta like the modern remakes of old games, or like that Darkstone game for the PlayStation (loved that game until the data corrupted repeatedly on my Mega Memory Card).

Someone should send them a brief history lesson on Swordquest and ask them if maybe they'll finish the series twenty years later, heh.

Well the old 2600 definately had some good games on it and a very interesting history. When I was young it was already old but I had a very obsessive love for it. Now I more primarily collect Nintendo. I feel more like I get my money's worth. It's hard for me to buy Atari games from a real video game stores, and I tend to get them most from thrift stores.

Having said that, I still play Atari more than just about any other 20 year old that I know. I know that many of the games totally suck and I might spend more time on other systems, but I guess I'll always love Atari. Even if they didn't make a good decision after about 1978!