IGNORED

2nd Joystick problem

rxd

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the second joystick port of my 4 port 5200. The second joystick can't see to shoot straight up or down. Side to side works fine and so do all the diagonals. Joystick port 1 works fine and when I switch the joysticks port 2 still has the same problem, so it's not the sticks. Kinda makes Robotron and Space dungeon a pain when I can't shoot up or down. Anyone have any ideas why this would be? I would have thought the diagonals wouldn't work if it was an up/down problem so I'm kinda confused...

Thanks

Is there trouble with joystick 2 on other games besides Space Dungeon and Robotron? If you have Missle Command and try moving the cursor all the way up, down, left and right, it might be able to tell us more. Does joystick 1 and 2 both go about the same distances with the cursor? Or does 2 not go as far up & down?

Can you move Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man up and down through the mazes on joystick 2?

Is there trouble with joystick 2 on other games besides Space Dungeon and Robotron?  If you have Missle Command and try moving the cursor all the way up, down, left and right, it might be able to tell us more.  Does joystick 1 and 2 both go about the same distances with the cursor?  Or does 2 not go as far up & down?

Can you move Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man up and down through the mazes on joystick 2?

I tried both joysticks using Missle Command. Port 2 is even more screwed up than I thought. When I go left or right its acts like it's digital, it only jumps from one side to the other. The up and down actually seems to work fine. I guess thats why the diagonals work and the straight up and down doesn't. It's actually the left right jumping from one extreme to the other that's the problem...

Either the joystick port itself has some cracked solder joints or the 4052 for the second port is bad.

Open up your 5200 and look at the port connection to see if there is a problem. If it looks OK, then swap the 4052 from one of the other ports (port 4 would probably be the best) and see if the problem moves to the other port.

Mitch

Swap the 4052?  Those things are soldered in, so it's not quite that easy.

Actually it is, back in the day when I did not have a motorized de-soldering gun, I would simply snip the 5V line of the faulty chip and piggy back a new one on top. ;)