IGNORED

Club Drive: How many people liked it?

SteveW

Everyone seems to enjoy trashing Club Drive. I just did a search of the Jag forum and almost no one said anything nice about it. I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I liked it. In mid '94, there wasn't anything that could touch it. A true 3D driving game that you didn't have to stay on the road for. You could drive around and explore, which I loved to do. That's the way I found the castle and the old Atari building. Sure, there was almost no texture mapping, and without proper shading on the polygons, it was hard to distinguish foreground and background, and the physics were a little questionable, but to me, it was still fun to play despite the problems, and I occasionally pop it in just to have a quick go at it.

Does anyone else want to chime in and admit that it was a fun game (for it's time, anyway)?

I think it's pretty good for an early game. Sure, some of the physics is a bit suspect (OK, a lot) but it works smoothly enough in the less ambitious of the tracks (indoors) and I had fun with it, briefly.

Not a lasting success but not that much of a stinker either.

Stone

I was surprised by how smooth it was (except some strange behaviour in some collisions) compared to other 3d games (ok they had textures, so what?)

It reminds me of the virtuality arcade games (flat shaded, low polys, smoot enough in animation)

I thought the game was kind of fun just not great. A person told me a week or two ago that it was the worst video game ever made and that isn't fair at all. For it's time and even today the multiplayer is fun. It actually has several gameplay modes and that must have been very revolutionary when it was released. I would call it the great grandfather of Midtown Madness if any of you have played that on xbox. Even though the multiplayer is good, the single player is entertaining for only a few minuets. Great music all around, but the sound effects are bad. I would have to say that the worst part about the game is the view. For all the choices of viewpoint none of them are very good at all. This is such a big problem that I don't like the game nearly as much because of it.

I like it too (given an acceptance of some of the faults) and its definitely NOT the worst game of all time.

Checkered Flag for one is worse.

I posted a scan of a preview of that here a while back in which they were trying to justify the lousy controls by saying it behaves like a real indycar/f1, whatever it was supposed to be, and that if a normal person tried to drive one they'd smash it up.

Which was fatuous enough in itself, but also forgetting that nobody would try and drive one of those with a digital joypad.

There was simply NO EXCUSE for Checkered Flag sucking as badly as it did. Rebellion KNEW the controls were appalling and did NOTHING to try to fix it.

Hello,

longe time ago i saw pictures of clubdrive2 somwhere the web.. as i remember there was much more textures..  

anyone got this pics??

Sadly ClubDrive 2 was really only "imagination-ware", the person

who wanted to develop it didn't have Club Drive 1 source code or

any knowledge of programming as I recall, I talked with him then.

However, the improvements he planned were all valid, and would

be practical, if source code I asked about before becomes available,

and a team of programmers could tweak the engine to achieve this.

However, as you and I both know, it would be a difficult project! :-)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Club Drive, like most Jaguar games, suffer from the "if it only had a little more" syndrome. Yeah, there was nothing else out there like it on the market when it came out but unfortunately it still wasn't enough. Only the idea was there, not the polish. It was fun, but some minor touches could have turned it from mediocre into something amazing.

There was simply NO EXCUSE for Checkered Flag sucking as badly as it did. Rebellion KNEW the controls were appalling and did NOTHING to try to fix it.

Oi! I liked Checkered Flag :P

Stone

Dont worry, everyone likes some kind of crap.

Me, ZOOP! :ponder: ;) :P

Club Drive, like most Jaguar games, suffer from the "if it only had a little more" syndrome. Yeah, there was nothing else out there like it on the market when it came out but unfortunately it still wasn't enough. Only the idea was there, not the polish. It was fun, but some minor touches could have turned it from mediocre into something amazing.

I agree with you. I remember first getting Club Drive, although it wasn't until about half way through '95, so I'd seen The Need For Speed on the 3DO and such. I was immediately disappointed in the graphics, even AFTER playing Checkered Flag, though the frame rate and controls were immensely superior to CF, even if they were questionable on their own merits. My nephew was over at my house at the time and we tried it out together. We couldn't get enough of the 2 player 'western' and [very hotwheel's like] race track. The physics were very questionable as others have stated as well as the graphics, but even back then, for some reason the control and pyshics felt right to me at least for those two courses. it wasn't until years later when I played Revolt (the DC version) that I realized how much it reminded me of Club Drive. Then it occured to me that the physics of Club Drive, even if by shear chance, were VERY similiar to Revolt's physic engine that was attempting to recreate (very well I might add, no matter what others have said of Revolt itself, which also gets a lot of flack) the real-world physics of remote-controlled cars. Someone else also mentioned that the physics were similiar to those of real-world hotwheels cars. That's when the "hotwheels" orange track on Club Drive just sort of clicked for me, and I began to wonder, whether if the physics of hotwheels/RC cars wasn't intenional, or at least, the programmers realized themselves that the physics were similiar to these real-world toys and so specifically created the race track to take advantage of it. I like the gameplay of Club Drive years ago, and have since learned to appreciate it for what it is, along the line above, whether it was intensional or just one big fat accidental coincidence. 8)

my favorite level is the 'house' level where your car is matchbox sized, so maybe it was intended as an r/c car type game all along? I've always liked (not loved,) club drive, and have defended it many times. Its not an A+ Killer app or anything, but it is, simply, fun.

Hello,

Everyone seems to enjoy trashing Club Drive.  

[...]  

Does anyone else want to chime in and admit that it was a fun game (for it's time, anyway)?

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for ages...

I enjoyed Club Drive quite a bit, but the control and camera were

the problems for me, also the gravity setting which was too low,

making the car rather bizarre. Also, I'd have preferred no texture

mapping (except the Pong on TV), and a few better models. (Cat?)

It seemed like a game that should have been a killer, but without

the time to complete it nicely, because it was an early title to get

Atari game numbers up, it did the opposite, and damaged Jaguar

reputation, due to the glitchy camera, controls, and game worlds.

A planned theme could have been more like San Francisco Rush,

with game freedom, that model showed the most potential for me!

Now since Curt Vendel posted a message here around a year ago

saying he'd got the sources and wanted to post them, I've been

on the hunt for these again. I now know two people have them,

one is contributing his set (for now anyway) to a secret project,

the other set is knocking around from Curt, recipient forgotten.

This is one game where the dream of a Club Drive 2 is distant,

but not ridiculous, if the full source code is available, with the

3D models. Bitmaps for texture mapping/menus, I think could

be done without! Just a few tweaks and new models might be

a great possibility. I live in hope something may come of this!

So yes, I'd play a session of of Club Drive 2-player with you.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

In mid '94, there wasn't anything that could touch it. A true 3D driving game that you didn't have to stay on the road for.  

I must insist to disagree with you - its pretty inferior to Stunt Race FX on the Super Nintendo, and this is running on the quite weak Super FX chip.

Club Drive is simply a pointless game (you may call it exploring - but what to explore actually? - bad polygon models?)

with zero, ZERO game design - surely one of worst games regarding the hardware (hey, did you think ol' Grandpa Hard Driving is superior to this - I do!)

It was bad and it still IS bad, even if time heals all wounds, but it sucks, even if it this doesn't bug me anymore like it did back then.(Yes, I cursed Atari for that!)

I always thought about this game as a remote controlled cars game, and I did like it. But if something based on its source comes out, well, I think I'll love it :)

A better phisics in the 'snake rail' could be compared to the ST stunt racer (that is discussed in the 'porting games from ST' thread)

And of course better models (the cat is great :D ) and better control on the backgrounds

Who knows... we'll see...

I think I really enjoyed Club Drive when I first got it (although it has joined the dusty ranks of the 'rarely played' section of my collection.). I loved the car tag feature of it and liked most of the tracks for it. It's been awhile since I played it, but I really didn't have *too* many complaints about it (except the previously mentioned track size, etc).