IGNORED

How much is too much?

Ze_ro

Have any of you ever thought that perhaps your collections were "too big"? I know it sounds stupid, and I know I haven't even half of the cartridges that I look forward to getting... but the other day a friend looked at my collection and said "Wow, you could play a different game each day for over a year before you'd end up repeating games!". It wasn't until then that I realized just how many games I had. Of course, I've bought games since then, so it obviously didn't affect me much, but I still have to wonder: How many games is "too much"? Especially considering there are those of you who probably have about 5 times the number of games I do (5 years worth of games? Crazy!)

Come to think of it, I actually sort of hit the "wall" with DVD's a while back when I realized that I had about $700 worth of them. This freaked me into not spending money on them, since that money could be spent much more wisely (for example, on video games).

--Zero

• Like 1

It is so easy to get carried away with buying games. I started collecting this summer and now almost have every 7800 games. The good thing is that I play most of them. I also have a bunch of 2600 games that I don't play as much. I have certain favorites. I feel that if you enjoy the game, it is worth buying it.

While I don't consider my collection too big (that's not to say it doesn't take a good deal of space), what's killing me is the amount of duplicate items I have. I have hundreds and hundreds of extra carts, around 40 2600 consoles, and a huge amount of other miscellaneous hardware. Most of it is sitting in a storage unit right now, just waiting for me to dig it all out and sell it. Someday I'll get around to it, with any luck it's just appreciating in value until then.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Nateo:

It's hard to get my dad to let me buy more Atari games. I have 60 Atari VCS games. I don't consider this near as much as I should have now, and my dad thinks I've had too many since I hit 30 Atari carts. What do you guys think?

I think you need to find some way to hide your Atari collection from your father. Seriously, 60 VCS cartridges is not that many when you consider how many were released in the US. Cartridges by themselves are pretty easy to store in a relatively compact space. Hardware, on the other hand, can quickly consume room, especially if you have multiple systems and actually want to have easy access to them.

..Al

• Like 1

Maybe you can pull on your dad's heart-strings a bit. Find out how old he was back in the late 70's. Ask if he had one of these games or knew someone who did and if he liked playing it.

If he did, plug him into your game and let him slaughter you in combat or something easy like that.

If he doesn't bite on any of that, try to convince him that it's a collection, an obsession of sorts, and that these things don't follow normal logical lines.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

While I don't consider my collection too big (that's not to say it doesn't take a good deal of space), what's killing me is the amount of duplicate items I have.

Yeesh, that's a bit much I'd think... How did you manage to get so many Atari's anyways? I usually pass on stuff that I already have (Unless it's damn cheap and I know someone who will want it).

--Zero

I got like 604 atari carts now ( all different in there own ways) nothing that is really a duplicate. anywho , a good way to tell if you got too much atari is when the walls and ceiling start to show cracks in it. That what happened here but i found put 50 here 30 there 100 here all around me 2 rooms and a few in the bathroom. it evens things out. how many systems are too much ( there are only 20 or 25 officail atari systems and stand alones combined) so i think 25 isnt that many. as long as there is atari to be had and i can get it then it will never be too big

Lucky for me I just moved into a new house and the upstairs attic/room is almost completely my collection. It came with built in shelves, and each one has a different system in it.

It also allows me to have my IMac, and two TVs hooked up at all times!!!

As for being too big, my collection is around (all systems this is) 800 different carts, so I am nowhere near ready to give up.

And as for DVDs and VHS tapes, I've got about 400 of those as well. Can't tell you how many times I've watched Barton Fink by now.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

While I don't consider my collection too big (that's not to say it doesn't take a good deal of space), what's killing me is the amount of duplicate items I have. I have hundreds and hundreds of extra carts, around 40 2600 consoles, and a huge amount of other miscellaneous hardware. Most of it is sitting in a storage unit right now, just waiting for me to dig it all out and sell it. Someday I'll get around to it, with any luck it's just appreciating in value until then.

..Al

40 2600 consoles it's a good future invest, think about it, in like 30 more years, those consoles will be even more worth than today...

OsBo

osbo yea it is

i got every unit but about 4 or 5 SYSTEMS

1 2600 darth vader

1 7800 prosystem (1984)

1 LYNX 1

1 2000

1 2500

1 2700

1 2800

thats about it

i got all other units

atari falcon doesnt go under video game system i dont think i think its more a PC.

also i got this DECO 1970s vintage B/W TV ( Bright Orange ) . needs a new attena and untill then the screen is fuzzy when i put games on to play. but its neat ( RETRO 1970s look .

And AL & ALEX i got that wierd system in the mail ( the 2600 with the heavy sixer bottom I am pulling out my other light 4 woody and gonna see if the boards are the same if not i want one of you to please make the effort to email me after i repost my reply cause it will be news worthy . if they are both differnt beyond the case . ( like i thnk the boards are differnt.

Heres the finding

1st the boards are very simular.

2nd The board on the heavy 4 ( odd one ) is with little L's on the back all over the back and has 2 ink marks ( my other one dont have anything like that) . one mark is 212 and another is 2B.

3rd the back is where i see a big difference.

on the noraml looking 4 switch wood. it says on the back:

Atari Inc

C015519

Rev. 13

© 1980

on the abnormal one is

Atari Inc.

C015519 ( with a A at the end which looked like it wasnt engraved with the rest might have been carved after when it might have been redesigned. if so. ) also

©1980

also says

271 under the date

looks like

Abnormal looking Normal looking one

ATARI INC ATARI INC

C015519A C015519

Rev 13 Rev 13

©1980 ©1980

this is being sent to curt vendel see what he says but what can you all say on this

quote:

Originally posted by Malathion5:

Atari 2000, 2500, 2700, 2800?

I have heard of a couple of these, but not all. Is there a pic of these in Atariage anywhere?

I don't have any links handy except to say that you can probably find a lot more info at http://www.atarihq.com . Here's what I know:

Atari 2000: I think this was an early attempt at a 2600 Jr... it was a small 2600 with joysticks built into the side of it. I don't think it was ever released.

Atari 2700: Aka RC Stella. This one had the remote control joysticks built into it. Also never released, though one was sold on eBay a while back.

Atari 2800: The Japanese version of the 2600. I think this actually did come out, but I don't keep track of the japanese market, so I don't know what kinda numbers we're talking here.

Atari 2500: Not sure about this one... I'm guess it was either a prototype name for the 5200/7800, or it might have been another attempt at a smaller 2600 (similar to the 2600 Jr or the 2000).

--Zero

The 2000 was an attempt at the 2600JR in 1982. teh 2500 was a different system but identical design concept supposed to have special Super Charged carts simular to the 2600's also this was 1982. the 5200 prototype your thinking of was teh 5100 aka 5200JR which was under development never made it out the lab door. i still think i have a slim shot at these as well ( never say never)

• 16 years later...

Heh, this seems to be an evergreen topic -- I found this when looking for the 2018 version.

Hah, wow. What a necro-bump! Could be a record breaker.

Well, when this thread was new, my collection was definitely nowhere near where it is now! And everything else was so different. No flatscreens. The 'big' TV was 32". What's HDMI? Hah suckers, my work pays for a T-1 line to my house, 1.5 megabits down AND up, baby!

Hah suckers, my work pays for a T-1 line to my house, 1.5 megabits down AND up, baby!

OMG

and you don't even have to stop talking on the phone to use it!! AMAZING

I remember when the 60MB demo of Diablo was an unreasonably large download.

I was looking for this "modern" thread when this same one with the exact title popped up.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281597-how-much-is-too-much/

• 2 weeks later...