IGNORED

Atari 7800 20th Anniversary - sneak peak

Curt Vendel

Wow! I mean, REALLY WOW!

I'm totally floored by the 5200 module and the 'Rescue On Fractalus' proto. Kurt, please let us know some more details about both of them.

I assume that the description of "working" for the 5200 module means that it will actually run 7800 games on a 5200 system? Amazing! I am guessing that there would pretty much have to be an almost complete 7800 stuffed inside of the thing and the 5200 hardware would be used simply for the video/audio output? Would you use 5200 or ProLine controllers for the thing? It just boggles the mind!

As for 'Rescue On Fractalus', how complete is it? Is it even playable? What do the graphics look like? This is really exciting! :D

Wow!  I mean, REALLY WOW!

I'm totally floored by the 5200 module and the 'Rescue On Fractalus' proto.  Kurt, please let us know some more details about both of them.  

I assume that the description of "working" for the 5200 module means that it will actually run 7800 games on a 5200 system?  Amazing!  I am guessing that there would pretty much have to be an almost complete 7800 stuffed inside of the thing and the 5200 hardware would be used simply for the video/audio output?  Would you use 5200 or ProLine controllers for the thing?  It just boggles the mind!

As for 'Rescue On Fractalus', how complete is it?  Is it even playable?  What do the graphics look like?  This is really exciting!  :D

Hi Stan,

The module is exactly the same type as the CX-55 Atari 2600 adapter, basically its an entire 7800 board in box, you plug in a 7800 joystick into it and a 7800 cart and you're good to go.

Rescue on Fractalus is a working demo, you can fly around, the displays are rotating info, you can't fire and there is no sound... just working out some issues with the emulation version, will get it out very soon for everyone....

Curt

Wow!  I mean, REALLY WOW!

I assume that the description of "working" for the 5200 module means that it will actually run 7800 games on a 5200 system?  Amazing!  I am guessing that there would pretty much have to be an almost complete 7800 stuffed

If it's built like the schematics, it doesn't have a ROM, so you have to flip a switch to select 2600 vs 7800 mode. Either way, it's still a "parasite" module, just using the base for power in and A/V out.

I guess that kills the rumor that Rescue on Fractulus used a Pokey chip. Unless, of course, they planned to add it later. Too bad it wasn't a completed game, but it will still be nice to check out though. :)

Mitch

If it's "missing", where does it go? He has a picture of the wire wrap board, and it's two ROM chips, a RAM chip, and a TTL chip. No sign of any room for a Pokey.

Although I have been thinking of the possibility that there may have been a different dev board with a Pokey (since I've heard most 7800 development was done with RAM carts and/or EPROM emulation), why wouldn't this one have it?

I was just looking at the pictures again and now I'm wondering. Are the two Atari Lab modules (temperature and light) both on the same cart? I know that the Atari 800 versions are seperate but I couldn't really tell for sure on the 7800 versions.

Mitch

Rescue on Fractalus is a working demo, you can fly around, the displays are rotating info, you can't fire and there is no sound... just working out some issues with the emulation version, will get it out very soon for everyone....

This begs for some screenshots while you're working on it. :)

..Al

I was just looking at the VCS Cartridge Adapter for the 5200 and noticed that the 7800 Adapter doesn't have the Select and Reset switches on the front. Are they on the side or in the back? Are they there at all?

Allan

There are push buttons on the top to select those items as well as a 2600/7800 mode switch.

Curt

Atari 7800 Atarilab Light Module App:

7800-light.gif

Atari 7800 Atarilab Temp Module App:

7800-temp.gif

Atari 7800 Rescue on Fractalus:

7800-rof-1.gif

Rescue appears to be a fairly well along game, though I'd estimate it was about 60% done, firing doesn't work, nor have I found a way to land, you start off above the planet instead of the launch from the docking bay and down to the planet surface... you can hit the mountains, steer and pick up craft below, there is an issue with a band across the front cockpit area, this may be due to MESS not knowing how to deal with the games need for an extra 2K of sram (perhaps...)

Will get these games released shortly, plus some others.

Curt

Mitch-

Can you elaborate on that?  I've never seen the A78 header explained.

Here you go.

/*	Header format

0   Header version  - 1 byte

1..16  "ATARI7800   "  - 16 bytes

17..48 Cart title   - 32 bytes

49..52 data length  - 4 bytes

53..54 cart type    - 2 bytes

bit 0 0x01 - pokey cart

bit 1 0x02 - supercart bank switched

bit 2 0x04 - supercart RAM at $4000

bit 3 0x08 - additional ROM at $4000

bit 8-15 - Special

0 = Normal cart

1 = Absolute (F18 Hornet)

2 = Activision

55  controller 1 type  - 1 byte

56  controller 2 type  - 1 byte

0 = None

1 = Joystick

2 = Light Gun

57  0 = NTSC/1 = PAL

100..127 "ACTUAL CART DATA STARTS HERE" - 28 bytes

Versions:

Version 0: Initial release

Version 1: Added PAL/NTSC bit. Added Special cart byte.

Changed 53 bit 2, added bit 3

*/

Mitch

From David Fox himself:

"The game was originally conceived as purely a rescue mission (hence one of its working titles, Rescue Mission), with no shooting! You were supposed to force the trailing enemy planes to crash into the mountains through sudden maneuvers."

Lucas made them add the fire button later. Does it make sense for this early version to be on the 7800? I'm not very good with release dates.