IGNORED

Atari 7800 20th Anniversary - sneak peak

Curt Vendel

Okay, so the 5200 version was released in 1986, meaning that this game could have been simultaneously in development for the 7800, right? So it might not be that the fire button is "missing," it seems to me that it's not supposed to be there yet!

The games for the 5200 were done in 1983-84, the boxes just said 86' on them, the 7800 version was started by late spring/early summer 84'

Curt

From David Fox himself:

"The game was originally conceived as purely a rescue mission (hence one of its working titles, Rescue Mission), with no shooting! You were supposed to force the trailing enemy planes to crash into the mountains through sudden maneuvers."

Lucas made them add the fire button later. Does it make sense for this early version to be on the 7800? I'm not very good with release dates.

The 7800 version was written by Lars Hanning of GCC, I will be putting together all of his emails into a nice webpage in the Atari 7800 section of Atarimuseum.com along with the rom release in the coming couple of weeks.

Curt

From David Fox himself:

"The game was originally conceived as purely a rescue mission (hence one of its working titles, Rescue Mission), with no shooting! You were supposed to force the trailing enemy planes to crash into the mountains through sudden maneuvers."

Lucas made them add the fire button later. Does it make sense for this early version to be on the 7800? I'm not very good with release dates.

The 7800 version was written by Lars Hanning of GCC, I will be putting together all of his emails into a nice webpage in the Atari 7800 section of Atarimuseum.com along with the rom release in the coming couple of weeks.

Curt

Did Lars say that this was the last version he worked on?

Also, once Jack took over, was that the last time GCC worked on any 7800 games?

Allan

From David Fox himself:

Curt

Did Lars say that this was the last version he worked on?

Also, once Jack took over, was that the last time GCC worked on any 7800 games?

Allan

Hi Allan...

Yes this was the only version that had been done. The GCC guys still kept working on items for a few weeks after the sale of Atari in July 84' They were working for Warner, not Atari itself, however Jack didn't want to pay them for the 7800 and the games, however GCC and Warner came to terms since Warner had committed Atari and its resources, they had announced the product, shown it at CES and so forth. Warner was now a 27% stake holder in the new Atari Corp now owned by Jack Tramiel and Warner pressures him to complete the deal which he does.

GCC is basically given a one time "Go Away" check which they quickly cash before it bounces and they turn over the spec's and deliverables for the console and MARIA chip, they also turn over the ROM images (but not the source code) to the original 10 games that were finished. They had 14 games in the works, RoF being one of them, Track & Field being another.

The computer keyboard, OSS/Atari 7800 basic, Videowriter and several other computer programs were not purcahsed and delivered.

So more surprises might be in store soon... :roll:

Curt

Great stuff Curt.  I wish I had more time at the computer show to look at all the stuff you brought with you.  I was very impressed with the 5200/7800 converter and the keyboard.  It would be awesome if they could be released one day.

I'm really sorry we didn't have more time to chat, its such a flood of conversations, questions and so forth, there is never enough time...

Curt

GCC is basically given a one time "Go Away" check which they quickly cash before it bounces and they turn over the spec's and deliverables for the console and MARIA chip, they also turn over the ROM images (but not the source code) to the original 10 games that were finished.    They had 14 games in the works, RoF being one of them, Track & Field being another.

Curt

Just to clarify, does that mean GCC worked on 14 games or 24 games?

Jeff

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...