IGNORED

Pinball machine that was the size of a car, what was it?

Spud

I remember playing a pinball machine when I was younger that was just freaking huge, the play table was like twice the normal size. Can't really remember anything else about it. Anyone know what it was?

Are you sure it was a pinball and not a shuffle or puck bowler?

If it was  apinball then it can only be Atari's Hercules.

Hercules

I used to play one at the Old Towne Arcade in Toledo. It was a monster of a machine, but definitely not the size of a car.

those things are f*ckin huge, i saw one at an arcade and wondered what someone was smoking when they came up with that idea

As late as the early 90's (1993), there was one in Ocean City, Maryland. I threw money in it just because it was so bizarre. They had swapped out an 8 ball for the regular cue ball. Took like 5 minutes to play, and was incredibly boring.

I have only seen one other one, at auction, in North Carolina. Went cheap, wonder why?.... :)

Cassidy

• 1 month later...

They used to have one at Marvelous Marvins in Michigan (at least they did 5 years ago). It was definitely a gimmick machine, it was slow and hard to play. I could never hit the ball with enough force to make it work well enough. Still, it was cool to try once or twice.

Tempest

Last I remember they still had one at an amusement park I used to frequent as a youth.  Canobie Lake Park, located in Salem NH.  

It was ridiculously huge.

I remember this too... but it wasn't that one. The one at Canobie Lake was probably one of a kind. It was like 15'x15'... in by that fake bingo gameroom.

I'm pretty certain it was the Hercules machine.

It was in that fake Bingo hall as you stated at the far end of the park. Nearby there was a Chinese Heroes coin-op game.

The pinball machine was just sitting out there in the middle of the hall.

It was in that fake Bingo hall as you stated at the far end of the park.  Nearby there was a Chinese Heroes coin-op game.  

Maybe they changed it at some point? I remember there was a hugely disproportionate one there. Bigger than Hercules. Or maybe I just remember it as a 9 year old kid.

It was in that fake Bingo hall as you stated at the far end of the park.  Nearby there was a Chinese Heroes coin-op game.  

Maybe they changed it at some point? I remember there was a hugely disproportionate one there. Bigger than Hercules. Or maybe I just remember it as a 9 year old kid.

Dunno. I always remember it as being the Hercules machine. The last time I was Canobie was back in 1996. Perhaps it has changed since then.

Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio still has two of them I believe. I've played it a few times and I have to agree with the other comments -- the game is really disappointing. It's a neat idea, but it is way too slow and gives you none of the fun of a smaller table. If the game was put on more of a tilt and the elements were increased, it would've been better, but it probably would've cost even more to manufacture / purchase.

An interesting machine though...

cedar point does indeed have two agains the back wall in the main arcade. If anyone is into visual pinball/pinmame, there is a very well done recreation of the table. it really does have the feel of the big table, and does not have the quickness of the smaller ones. for the record, i was at marvins in michiganm last year, and it was gone...

herculees for visual pinball can be found at:

http://irpinball.ztnet.com/ click on download, and then 1970-1979 and scroll down to H

for Pinmame, it is at:

http://www.vpforums.com/vptables/tables.php

enjoy

1ej

cedar point does indeed have two agains the back wall in the main arcade.  If anyone is into visual pinball/pinmame, there is a very well done recreation of the table.  it really does have the feel of the big table, and does not have the quickness of the smaller ones.  for the record, i was at marvins in michiganm last year, and it was gone...

herculees for visual pinball can be found at:

http://irpinball.ztnet.com/   click on download, and then 1970-1979 and scroll down to H

for Pinmame, it is at:

http://www.vpforums.com/vptables/tables.php

enjoy

1ej

yeah.. that's where i go to , the vpforums thing.

i make a lot of original tables there in visual pinball.

i'd say, last time i played hercules was in corpus christi, tx some years ago.. it was a pretty good place to find games once in a while.. nowadays mostly you'll find stuff at thrifts more like stuffed animals and clothes.. the hercules machine was a big thing. even though i'm not little (6 '4 and 300 or so pounds), it was a effort for me to flip the flippers effectively. but it was mildly amusing to play while on vacation.

it may also be of note that it was one of the few atari pinballs ever made, a very small handful . perhaps now that infogrames will bring back atari video games, perhaps they'll also consider going up against stern in pinball someday..

ah, memories.

maybe it's nearly time for me to go somewhere on the bus... and make some more.