IGNORED

Arcade ports.

King Atari

When I was around 10 or 11 there was a "Super Value" grocery store we always went to on sundays, it had 3 machines in it Donkey Kong Pac-Man and Vanguard, I played all three like a madman. I am like you I have never tried emulation other than Java games, I am on dialup with a laptop as my main machine so I am afraid to try too much with it :)

Edited by sandmountainslim

Yea, I'm pretty technologically illiterate when it comes to many of the participants on this board. I played Vanguard at a Fishers Big Wheel store at the time--Pac Man was in there too. Spend alot of quarters there. I may have mentioned this somewhere before, but a couple kids with a hammer handle came in and where getting free pac man games by bashing the coin slot. I squealed on them....

Joust is a fairly faithful port too.

A couple of my other faves:

Mario Bros.

Frogger

Popeye

Front Line

Ms. Pac and Jr.

Berserk

moon patrol

missile command

Technically just about all early VCS stuff were "Arcade Ports" and most of them were pretty good translations.

combat - tank

Circus Atari - Circus

outlaw - gunfight

night driver - night driver

indy 500 - sprint

the breakout series

maze craze

Edited by grimbasement

Technically just about all early VCS stuff were "Arcade Ports" and most of them were pretty good translations.

maze craze

What was Maze craze ported from?

It vaguely reminds me of Gotcha! I loved watching the demo for that game. I didn't have any quarters to feed it back then. I would love to see a port of Gotcha!

Arcade ports on the 2600 are always special (or crappy) because the hardware dictates there has to be a certain level of sacrifice, or at least difference. A perfect port is pretty much impossible, but good to excellent ports happen pretty often. There seems to be two kinds of good ports:

Direct ports with minor concessions (Dig Dug, Both Froggers)

Games redesigned somewhat because it's impossible or impractical to port the gameplay or graphic style exactly, but good all the same (Crystal Castles, Battlezone)

maze craze

What was Maze craze ported from?

It vaguely reminds me of Gotcha! I loved watching the demo for that game. I didn't have any quarters to feed it back then. I would love to see a port of Gotcha!

857963[/snapback]

It was a port of the arcade game Amazing Maze from Midway

Amazing Maze KLOV

Grouping by company (and echoing a lot of what has been said):

The best collection of arcade ports comes from Atari during their silver-label and red-label eras. Some titles are better than others, but all demonstrated just how capable the Atari 2600 was in the hands of good programmers. Crystal Castles, Millipede, Stargate, and Jr. Pac-Man stand out in particular, but I really don't think there's a bad one in the bunch.

The Atari black-labels run hot and cold, with Asteroids and Berzerk being hot (even hotter with all the hack work going on nowadays) and Pac-Man being cold.

Parker Brothers did consistently well with their arcade ports. In particular, the Parker Brothers Trilogy, Frogger, Q*Bert, and Popeye are three of the best non-Atari arcade ports you will find.

CBS and Sega generally did good jobs on their arcade ports. Skimpy efforts like Gorf and Tac/Scan were made up for by spectacular releases like Wizard of Wor and Tapper.

Activision and Mattel (M-Network) both came into the arcade porting business late in the game. Both companies also had a policy of discouraging programmers' use of the flicker trick, making their games easier on the eyes but often more predictable. Mattel's efforts, including Burger Time and Bump 'n' Jump, generally hold up well. Unfortunately, Activision's ambitions got the better of them, and while ports like Double Dragon and Rampage look and play better than anybody would have expected, they still prove those games just weren't meant for the 2600.

The only company to be consistently lackluster was Coleco. Every company released arcade ports that could have been better, and Coleco was no exception, with "just okay" titles like Donkey Kong and Venture. The problem is, unlike other companies, Coleco never produced a really great game to make up for the rest. Instead, they sunk even lower with Zaxxon, a game that is literally unplayable at times.

Grouping by company (and echoing a lot of what has been said):

The best collection of arcade ports comes from Atari during their silver-label and red-label eras.  Some titles are better than others, but all demonstrated just how capable the Atari 2600 was in the hands of good programmers.  Crystal Castles, Millipede, Stargate, and Jr. Pac-Man stand out in particular, but I really don't think there's a bad one in the bunch.

The Atari black-labels run hot and cold, with Asteroids and Berzerk being hot (even hotter with all the hack work going on nowadays) and Pac-Man being cold.

858189[/snapback]

Jeeeez. I quit playing the 2600 in '82 because of experiencing the wrong games (ie pac-man) and the feeling that if I didn't have Colecovision, why bother. It amazes me today to see what I missed post '82 for the system.