IGNORED

Colecovision project

Dav

I'm working on a colecovision expansion module. It attaches a CF card. Right now it's basically just a hard drive controller with some extra ram. The hardware is pretty much done, but I have some more software to write. So far all I've written is test software to verify I can read and write to the drive and ram. The actual firmware is not much more complicated than my test software. The firmware will load an OS type software from a file on the CF. I haven't even started that part yet, but it's fairly simple and I don't foresee any problems.

I can still make small changes before I order more pcb's. Anyone have any ideas for other stuff to add as long as I'm doing it. For example I/O ports, LED's etc? Originally I planned on adding an alternate bios, but I'm going to just add more ram instead so you can load your own from the cf. Also anyone know anything about Adam software? Like what would it take to run adam games on a colecovision? Is it even worth the trouble? I had an Adam, still do, but I never did any serious programming on it, just typing. Also is anyone else interested in this? or is it just for me:)

Thanks,

Dave

So basiclly this is a Cuttle Cart but instead of a cart it's on an expansion module, right?

What do you plan on using as the case?

As far as suggestions on what to add, how about the ability to store instructions on it like the Cuttle Cart?

As for the ram, could this be used to increase the size of ram, aka, like bank switching?

Allan

So basiclly this is a Cuttle Cart but instead of a cart it's on an expansion module, right?

What do you plan on using as the case?

As far as suggestions on what to add, how about the ability to store instructions on it like the Cuttle Cart?

As for the ram, could this be used to increase the size of ram, aka, like bank switching?

Allan

Well it would store all of them, It would boot to a directory list. I don't really know much about the cuttle cart. The entire OS loads from cf so you can change anything you want.

I haven't really thought about a case. I like bare pcb's but then I come from an arcade background.

I'm thinking 2 32k banks that can be loaded either hi or low. I thought I'd use the file extension to decide how it loads. 1 32k hi for carts or 2 32k hi for banked or 1 hi 1 low for cart +custom bios. Ram's cheap, I can add as much as I need. Current version has 32k but I can stack another 32k on top of it.

This sounds like a VERY promising project! Even though the CV does not have the kind of following like Atari consoles do, I really see this being very BIG and I'm certain many people would be interested! You can count me in for one for sure! Matter of fact, if you need a hardware beta tester, let me know! :D

I still haven't done any EPROM hacks for my CV (still have to find those EPROM programmer that dissapeared when I moved) but when I do, I just may want to try and integrate that CF slot into CV and include an extra CF card for eBay auction. You think those AV and BIOS modded were expensive on eBay? :D

-wishing AA had a emoticon that has dollar signs for eyes

Would that device be available from the ADAM at all??

(other than it would as a coleco expansion)

If I recall, I was told that the Colecovision part of the ADAM is seperate from the Computer (ADAM) part, but it would be very kual if it was accessable from the ADAM side...

Just wondering..

desiv

Unforunately it kind of defeats the purpose of collecting, if you can download all the rom files onto a flash disk.  It might as well be running on an emulator.

I disagree. I own a "Cuttle Cart 2" and just got three new (to me) games in the mail today. Plus, even if you don't collect the actual carts, the experience of playing the games on a real machine is WAY better than playing them via an emulator on a PC. 8)

Unforunately it kind of defeats the purpose of collecting, if you can download all the rom files onto a flash disk.  It might as well be running on an emulator.

I disagree. I own a "Cuttle Cart 2" and just got three new (to me) games in the mail today. Plus, even if you don't collect the actual carts, the experience of playing the games on a real machine is WAY better than playing them via an emulator on a PC. 8)

Yep, fuck emulators. :D

Yep, fuck emulators. :D

They lack the proper orifices for that...

I don't really play any games using emualation, it's just not the same as real hardware. I haven't even turned my mame cab on in a year or more, and I wrote a couple of the drivers for it. I'd like to take the good things about emulation and combine them with the real hardware.

It almost certainly would not work with the adam. I haven't really looked at it but there's a lot more going on in the adam memory map. I don't remember if there's an expansion port on the adam or not.

BTW here's a pic of it attached to a CV board. The ide cable and cf adapter aren't shown. I haven't decided exactly how that's going to work physically. Ide adapters are about $8 on ebay and I probably counldn't mount one on the board for less than that, but it would be messy if i didn't.

The giant rom in the pic will be replaced by a much smaller one and I can shrink the board horizontally. If I build the cf socket into the board then it obviously will have to extend out much more. I hadn't considered an internal mounting but I guess I could look at it as an option .

post-1541-1091512644_thumb.jpg

I will buy one if they are under $200. Looks tome like it would fit in amodified atari 5200 cart casing. :ponder: I would be glad to beta test also. I have quite the colecovision collection with everyaccesory ever made for testing purposes.

I may be crazy but if you had a 2600 cuttle toplug into the existing CV expansion module AND this could you not play every single 2600 and CV game on the same console. Or better yet, integrate this device into the 2600 adapter directy. :ponder:

It's too early to tell about the pricing. I normally sell a board the size and complexity of this one for around $60. Then there'd be an ide cable and a cf adapter($8-$10) That solution would be kind of messy, even if I attached the ide adapter to my board and used a 3" ide cable. Integrating the cf socket will raise the price, very possibly 50% or more. I have a feeling the housing could be very expensive too. There's a clip in the coleco for it to fit into. So as a bare board I'd guess <$100 I couldn't even guess what it would cost with a custom made housing.

The one drawback would be that since it uses the expansion port you

could not play any games that require the trackball or steering wheel.

But there is only a handful of them and they are mostly common.

The expansion port was never used for anything except the Atari 2600 adapter and the Adam computer (the add-on version). Otherwise, every other "expansion module" plugged into the controller ports.

Interestingly, there was talk of Mattel using the expansion port for game cartridges with speech chips in them. Of course the crash happened, so this never happened, but it would have been interesting (perhaps more sophisticated than the two talking Interphase normal cartridges).