IGNORED

Stelladapter question

Blackjack

Yes, the Stelladaptor will work with other emulators that recognize USB Gamepad controllers. I have not personally tried any Amiga or C64 emulators, but I did see a discussion on usenet where someone says it works great with VICE. I have used it with several Mac emulators, including Atari800MacX, StellaOSX, and MacMAME, and in Windows I know it also works fine with Stella 1.4 and WinMAME.

..Al

Yes, the Stelladaptor will work with other emulators that recognize USB Gamepad controllers.  I have not personally tried any Amiga or C64 emulators, but I did see a discussion on usenet where someone says it works great with VICE.  I have used it with several Mac emulators, including Atari800MacX, StellaOSX, and MacMAME, and in Windows I know it also works fine with Stella 1.4 and WinMAME.  

..Al

Just wanted to add that the Stelladaptor also works with version 1.4 of Stella for Linux. Since Stella has a unified codebase as of version 1.4, any feature is available in all ports (Linux, OSX and Windows).

Steve

one question...i just got the Stelladaptor (but was silly not to have also ordered the cable...thinking that there had to be a brick n mortar place that had relatively inexpensive cables ...:P...), but hadn't found a cable in a store less than like $25 o_O...before I go ahead with doing another order, does anybody know a store chain that would have a decent cheap USB cable ?...

gavv

Yes... Check your local "Big Lots" I've bought both usb and cat5 cables there dirt cheap, and I'm thinking Wal-Mart has some pretty cheap ones.

For the record though, the cable Atari Age sells with it is not usb2 and says something about usb2 not working (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm using a spare usb2 cable I had laying around and it works great.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there any software that would let you assign keypresses to the movements of a joystick connected to the Stelladaptor?

In other words, moving the stick would make Windows think that keys on the keyboard were being pressed and pass them on to the active Window.

This way, even if an emulator doesn't directly support such controllers, the emulator could be fooled into thinking you were using the keyboard.

I used to have a small ML program for the C64 that did exactly this and I was able to use it with a couple games that didn't directly support joystick control.

Not a dumb question at all. Joy2key promises to do what you ask, someone on here pointed it out to me the other day and said they had successfully used it although I haven't tried it myself yet.

http://interreality.org/~tetron/technology/joy2key/

Post back or send me a pm or something once you've tried it. I'm curious:)

Not a dumb question at all. Joy2key promises to do what you ask, someone on here pointed it out to me the other day and said they had successfully used it although I haven't tried it myself yet.  

http://interreality.org/~tetron/technology/joy2key/  

Post back or send me a pm or something once you've tried it. I'm curious:)

Unfortunately, that program is designed for Linux systems and I'm using Windows, so it won't do me much good.

Also, I don't currently have a Stelladaptor, but I'm thinking of getting one.

Anyone know of a similar program for Windows?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there any software that would let you assign keypresses to the movements of a joystick connected to the Stelladaptor?

In other words, moving the stick would make Windows think that keys on the keyboard were being pressed and pass them on to the active Window.

This way, even if an emulator doesn't directly support such controllers, the emulator could be fooled into thinking you were using the keyboard.

I used to have a small ML program for the C64 that did exactly this and I was able to use it with a couple games that didn't directly support joystick control.

Try this, it's called JoytoKey, and it's for windows

• 1 month later...
Does anybody know if the stelladapter works with emus other than Z26? For instance, Amiga or C64 emulators.

Thanks in advance

I got my Stelladapter today, and I successfully tested it with CCS64 (C64 emulator), StellaX (Atari 2600 emulator), and WinUAE (Amiga emulator). I am using an original Atari CX40 joystick, and it works like a dream!!! The Stelladapter rocks!

• 2 months later...

I would like to add a two more questions to this thread. I just got my Stelladaptor today and love being able to use the old-school Atari joysticks with both MAME and my Stella emulators. Now...

(1) When playing Atari games with the newest version of Stella, will it recognize TWO Stelladaptors if I want to play a competitive game (like Combat) or a game that requires two joysticks (like Raiders of the Lost Ark)?

(2) I'm having some trouble with other controllers and was wondering if it's me or if there is a work-around for this. For instance, the Trak-Ball works, but it doesn't allow very smooth control in games like Centipede, so I had to go back to using a joystick. But my biggest concern is with the paddle controls. It doesn't seem to work right at all with these. I was trying Night Driver, and I just kept crashing off the side of the road without any ability to steer. (However, going into "Properties" for my game controllers does show the Stelladaptor responds correctly to the paddle even though, in the actual game, it no longer seems to function correctly.)

I just tried the paddles with Breakout and they seem to work fine. So it looks like the only real problem may be with Night Driver. (And that is definitely a paddle game as well.) For some reason, I can only get the mouse to work with that game - even if I change the mouse/paddle options before starting the game.

Oh well, I'm still pretty pleased with this handly little device. I did find out that Stella supports two controllers if necessary, so I just ordered another Stelladaptor.

(1) When playing Atari games with the newest version of Stella, will it recognize TWO Stelladaptors if I want to play a competitive game (like Combat) or a game that requires two joysticks (like Raiders of the Lost Ark)?

Yes, as long as the emulator supports multiple joystick controllers plugged into your computer, it should also support multiple Stelladaptors plugged in.

(2) I'm having some trouble with other controllers and was wondering if it's me or if there is a work-around for this.  For instance, the Trak-Ball works, but it doesn't allow very smooth control in games like Centipede, so I had to go back to using a joystick.  But my biggest concern is with the paddle controls.  It doesn't seem to work right at all with these.  I was trying Night Driver, and I just kept crashing off the side of the road without any ability to steer.  (However, going into "Properties" for my game controllers does show the Stelladaptor responds correctly to the paddle even though, in the actual game, it no longer seems to function correctly.)

Well, the only supported controllers are Atari-compatible joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers. The Trak-Ball is not supported, and I'm surprised it works at all. The paddle controllers should work fine in the latest version of Stella (1.4) as well as in z26 for Windows. I've used them before with just about every paddle game on the 2600. The paddles can be a little twitchy in some games, but overall they work pretty well for me. Which version of Stella are you using, and for which operating system?

..Al