IGNORED

Decent price for a 1084 moniter

I was talking to a guy who has an extra 1084 Commodore moniter he wanted to sell but had no idea how much he wanted. I'm not in any great need of one of these so I wasn't really making him an offer, but now I might change my mind.

It seems to be in pretty good shape, good picture and he has a cable for it to. Anybody know what these generally go for?

I got my 1080 at a thrift store for maybe $6, but I've seen similar Commodore/Amiga branded monitors at JUNK SHOPS for like $30! It's a damn nice monitor, alright, mono sound, but that's hardly an issue. I use mine primarily for DVD playback, and use the headphone jack on the DVD player for the audio.

I dunno, like I said, it's a damn nice piece of hardware, and makes a perfect complement to anything with composite/rgb output. Pay whatever makes you both happy, but remember that they're not very big in the display size category.

Upon further investigation, it may indeed be more useful than I had thought.http://koti.mbnet.fi/vorne/elektroniikka/mmeamigam.html

Boy, I'm glad I followed that link.. I learned this:

Ostin liikkeestä videon kopiointijohtosarjan. Sen mukana tuli monta turhaa liitintä, mutta myös ne tärkeimmät.

Eli tarvitaan SCART-liitin, jossa on ainakin ulostulo-pinnit kytkettynä.

Now I see why the 1084 is more valuable!!

OK.. um.. SCART.. that's the non-US interface.. and.. er 'videon' I bet that has something to do with video.. er..

:-) :-)

Actually, the link has pictures too.. :-)

The 1084 series (I prefer the S with the built-in stereo) is great for the multiple interfaces it has. I know of many an Arcade game tech who uses the 1084 as a bench monitor for Arcade games.

I've considered getting another 1084s (preferably with an Amiga attached to it. :-) ) so I could use it for the Amiga, other old computers, and I could get my JAMMA Toki running again.

(I pulled the Toki board out of my cab, and rotated the monitor for Vertical games. So, I could put it back in the cab, but I'd have to turn my head to play. :-) )

desiv

i use my as a 2nd screen for import and short attention systems, for long term play i prefer my big screen. with the addition of a VCR for RF hook ups it serves as a good test screen also. i was at the boston museum of science the other week, they had 4 1084s in use for video loops, for some reason that bugged me. maybe it looked low tech or maybe i just want to liberate the monitors.

anyways i'd say $25 is a fair price from another collector, they're very durable monitors.

I was talking to a guy who has an extra 1084 Commodore moniter he wanted to sell but had no idea how much he wanted.  I'm not in any great need of one of these so I wasn't really making him an offer, but now I might change my mind.

First question, already answered, was 1084 or 1084S? The 1084S has stereo and is more useful because of that. A regular 1084, 1702, etc., I'd say $10-$20. Maybe $25 if it's a model that can hook up to an Amiga with RGB, and you need it for that. If you get the right adapter cable (which Fry's sells for five bucks), you can hook them up to S-video.

And for what it's worth, there are multiple versions of the 1084 and 1084S. I have a good 1084S which is different from a broken 1084S that I have. And the US version doesn't have SCART. Most people in the US not only wouldn't know what to do with SCART, they might even think it looks scary.

I've got an NEC monitor myself. I use it for my Dreamcast, Playstation 2, and GameCube, and will probably continue to do so until I can get a television set with S-video output. I'm itching to try all my games with S-video... I've tried running the cable through my video capture card, but the results were less than impressive.

I was amazed by the difference in quality between a computer monitor and a standard television set. My cousin's wife had gotten an off-brand monitor from one of her relatives, and had let me test my Playstation out on it. The clarity was amazing... I was amazed at just how good Rival Schools looked (probably the ONLY time I was amazed by the quality of Rival Schools' graphics, but I digress...).

JR

My estimate was based on 1) having enough Commodore monitors already, and 2) what I can usually get them for at thrift stores.

I just checked ebay and it seems that three of them have gone for $50, $50, and $60. Meanwhile 1084S monitors have gone for $40, $55, and $100, plus a no-bid at $50.

My estimate was based on 1) having enough Commodore monitors already, and 2) what I can usually get them for at thrift stores.

I just checked ebay and it seems that three of them have gone for $50, $50, and $60.  Meanwhile 1084S monitors have gone for $40, $55, and $100, plus a no-bid at $50.

Well, maybe he's not nuts but that's still WAY more than I wanted to spend. If I didn't already have a kick ass 20" moniter in my gameroom I probably would have gone for this. My current one is a professional broadcast moniter with mulitple connections, even BNC inputs. The sound and picture on it are amazing so I'm really not looking to change it out.

These monitors do show up at thrift stores. I have three: One from MS, TN and GA. The last one was priced at $10. I popped the flip cover off of it and stashed it in the record bin. On 1/2 price day I went back, found the monitor, grabbed the flip cover and put it back on. Paid $5 for the monitor.

I did the same thing with a 1970s HP calculator. Removed and stashed the battery pack .. then went back on 1/2 price day and grabbed it for $3.

So go ahead and shame me!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I did the same thing with a 1970s HP calculator.  Removed and stashed the battery pack .. then went back on 1/2 price day and grabbed it for $3.

Oh.. That explains it...

A while back, I was at a Fred Meyer's in the Pacific Northwest and in the "bargain bin" they had an HP graphing calculator marked way down, with a sticker: doesn't work.

But when I looked at it, someone had set it for one of the modes where 2+2 != 4, Can't remember.. maybe it was just Binary, maybe something else..

Anyway, I set it back, checked out it's modes, and it seemed to work great.

So...

I gave it to the guy behind the register and explained someone had just set it up wrong.

And back then, I wanted a graphing calculator.. Physics just wasn't fair when the other kids could push a button and I had to plot (and plot and plot and) and graph..

Oh well.. Hope I didn't mess you up there.. :-) :-)

desiv