IGNORED

Genesis AV cord

egdinger

A while back, I had a copy of THE LEGEND OF ZELDA for NES, the 5 screw version. Easy to take apart. The battery was dead, the game wouldn't retain saves at all. Well, most games and systems use CR2032 button cells. By no means a rare battery. I bought a twin pack of CR2032s, a CR2032 mount, and a soldering kit.

trivolt01.jpg

As you can see, I was planning on replacing the battery, but the way they're bonded to the board, they can't simply be swapped out. I had to install a socket for the battery to eliminate the need for soldering in the future. For this cartridge, at least. Checked the board over, positive, negative, check. Wired up the mount properly, soldered everything securely.

trivolt02.jpg

It's certainly factory-quality, and it's definitely ugly, but the connections are solid, and won't come loose. I popped the battery in, put the cart back together, and fired it up. Started a game, got a few heart containers, and saved. Reset. Save file was still there. Shut the game off. Turned it back on, and my save file was still there. I shut the game off and shook the cartridge like a British nanny. Save file wasn't lost. Battery didn't come loose at all, a later inspection proved. Okay, put the game away. A month or so later, I dragged it out again. My save was gone. Wtf? The battery was BRAND NEW, and hadn't been accidentally discharged in the installation process. I'm well aware that CR2032s output a constant level of charge until they die. Anyway, now the game randomly erases, as if it were powered by a dying AA battery. Shaking it or rapidly cycling the power don't do it, either.

Replacing the battery in Zelda was a waste of effort, and it wasn't my soldering that made the project fail. If there's one thing I learned in Electronics class, it's how to fucking solder properly.

A while back, I had a copy of THE LEGEND OF ZELDA for NES, the 5 screw version. Easy to take apart. The battery was dead, the game wouldn't retain saves at all. Well, most games and systems use CR2032 button cells. By no means a rare battery. I bought a twin pack of CR2032s, a CR2032 mount, and a soldering kit.

trivolt01.jpg

As you can see, I was planning on replacing the battery, but the way they're bonded to the board, they can't simply be swapped out. I had to install a socket for the battery to eliminate the need for soldering in the future. For this cartridge, at least. Checked the board over, positive, negative, check. Wired up the mount properly, soldered everything securely.

trivolt02.jpg

It's certainly factory-quality, and it's definitely ugly, but the connections are solid, and won't come loose. I popped the battery in, put the cart back together, and fired it up. Started a game, got a few heart containers, and saved. Reset. Save file was still there. Shut the game off. Turned it back on, and my save file was still there. I shut the game off and shook the cartridge like a British nanny. Save file wasn't lost. Battery didn't come loose at all, a later inspection proved. Okay, put the game away. A month or so later, I dragged it out again. My save was gone. Wtf? The battery was BRAND NEW, and hadn't been accidentally discharged in the installation process. I'm well aware that CR2032s output a constant level of charge until they die. Anyway, now the game randomly erases, as if it were powered by a dying AA battery. Shaking it or rapidly cycling the power don't do it, either.

Replacing the battery in Zelda was a waste of effort, and it wasn't my soldering that made the project fail. If there's one thing I learned in Electronics class, it's how to fucking solder properly.

Bummer about the battery... strange... Maybe it was a bad battery, unlikely as it may be... or maybe a short circuit somewhere on the circuit board... I dunno...

I wasn't being to serious about the "how good you are with a soldering iron", and I certainly wasn't questioning your soldering skills Raijin Z :) . Hell, pretty much the only good thing I learned in electronics class was to solder :D ... But my point is if you have the components around; a RCA cord and a 5 pin DIN connector. You can solder a cable fairly quickly.

Thanks for the link, but I know where I can get a genesis for that much, so I don't think I'll go that route. What really bugs me is my soldering looked fairly good, and it was only 3 connections (unless I'm mistaken). Now I don't want to mod my xbox :sad:. It was werid, my soldering iron would leav big globs of solder, an dthey were coming from the tip of the iron, so I bet I broke a connection somewhere else trying to get the globs off.