IGNORED

High Score Club Week 21: Fast Food

Ze_ro

And I just remembered... I'm not sure about you guys, but when I play on an Emulator versus a console, the game seems much, much faster on the Emu. I'm wondering if there's no software limit on the speed increase of the food since the Atari console has definitive calculation limits that would govern speed, therefore the programmers had no need to put in a software limit.

Thus, on an Emu, the speed increase would max out at the Emu's top calculation speed and not the pseudo-console speed.

Just some food for thought for the programmers...

ò¿ó   smiling_to_games-2.gif

And I just remembered... I'm not sure about you guys, but when I play on an Emulator versus a console, the game seems much, much faster on the Emu. I'm wondering if there's no software limit on the speed increase of the food since the Atari console has definitive calculation limits that would govern speed, therefore the programmers had no need to put in a software limit.

Thus, on an Emu, the speed increase would max out at the Emu's top calculation speed and not the pseudo-console speed.

Nope, the emulators also emulate the console calculation limits (actually this is the easiest and most exact part in emulating the 2600). So, the games will run at identical speed, no matter where you play them, as long as your CPU (everything from PII 200Mhz on) can handle it .

So, I beat my last score by just a little. ;)

Funny story behind this too. All my previous scores for this game were obtained by playing with the TV on the floor, sitting cross-legged in front of it. I won't go into the details why, but let it be known that this is not the most comfortable way to play Atari.

Last night I had a gaming party so I procured an extra table to put the TV and Atari on. I had no intention of playing Fast Food again, but today was so hot that I spent most of the time in the one room in my house that has A.C. (the room with the Atari, naturally!) So after I posted my previous score (which was actually from a couple days ago, I figured I'd give it one more shot with the new set up. I was amazed at how much easier it was!

For most of the game I varied between 1 or no purple pickles, and after the first few thousand points it wasn't getting any harder. Then, as I neared 10,000 points, the unimaginable happened. My Wico Boss joystick, which has never failed me in the 20+ years I've been using it, stopped working! I could no longer move down! Soon I found myself trapped at the top of the screen with nowhere to go.

Fortunately, it was not long before it said "You're getting fatter" and I had a chance to act. I thought for sure the jostick had just come loose, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in making sure it was secure. I pressed the button, and..... augh! It still didn't work! Purple pickle after purple pickle flew into my mouth as I stood still, helpless against the barrage of junk food gone bad. Miraculously, I made to the end of another stage with just 5 pickles. One more and I would have been a goner.

The problem was obviously either my joystick or the Atari itself, but since replacing the Atari in the middle of a game wasn't an option I had to take a chance with another joystick. I grabbed a standard Atari jostick which I knew worked and plugged it in. A press of the button, and.... yes! It works! However, the whole incident threw me off and it wasn't long before my game was over with a final score of 12,833.

post-1753-1093840245_thumb.jpg

Well, that's the end of this week. I'd think of something supporting and congratulatory to say here, but I've still got a lot of work to do with all the Atarilympics stuff, so I'll just say the usual... Congratulations on your scores, and I hope you had a lot of fun!

--Zero