IGNORED

Controller port problem...

ApolloBoy

I have the same problem. Mitch said that it is probably the Pokey chip, but it could be the OS Rom and 6502. It was not the Pokey chip, I tried replacing, and I have not tried replacing the OS Rom or 6502, which ever they were.

As I have said before, can we have a section of AtariAge which dissects the units.

Anyway if you find out how to fix yours, let me know.

I have a problem with my last 5200 where the start button won't work.

The joystick works fine on my other 5200's, so it's definitely a system problem.

I would love to know how to fix it, and it sounds like the same type of problem. If you find a solution, please post it.

So, let me get this straight, so I can try it on my motherboard. Did you switch the chip in U10 with the one in U13 or did you get a new chip for U13?

Are the 4052 chips at the bottom all the same? On my "parts" board the chips have a top line of CD4052VEXV, but the second line is different. The are RCA 227, RCA 231, RCA 227. I am missing the chip in the U13 space. Are these chips all the same?

So, let me get this straight, so I can try it on my motherboard.  Did you switch the chip in U10 with the one in U13 or did you get a new chip for U13?

Are the 4052 chips at the bottom all the same?  On my "parts" board the chips have a top line of CD4052VEXV, but the second line is different.  The are RCA  227, RCA 231, RCA 227.  I am missing the chip in the U13 space.  Are these chips all the same?

Yes, I switched U10 with U13. And yes, all the 4052 chips are the same (at least I think so).

Thanks, the top button is working now that I replaced the chip in the U13 position. Luckily I have a broken 5200 that I use for parts. I did not know the chips go bad. I thought that as long as you don't fry the motherboards with the wrong power supply, the console would pretty much last forever.

Thanks, the top button is working now that I replaced the chip in the U13 position.  Luckily I have a broken 5200 that I use for parts.  I did not know the chips go bad.  I thought that as long as you don't fry the motherboards with the wrong power supply, the console would pretty much last forever.

In the nearly 20 years or so that I've had my first 5200 (2 port), I've had to replace those 4052's 3 times, twice in one year when I spent a lot of time playing it. It got to the point where I put sockets in to make it easier. :/