IGNORED

reintroduce 2600?

LU8

With all the interest in retro gaming and the success of the 10 in 1 game Jakks emulator TV controller, do you think the Atari 2600 could go back into production as a niche novelty product?

Rather than use the original big woodgrain model they could instead make the small 2600jr which is a little larger than a VHS cassette.

Atari 2600 jr.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...tari2600jr.html

You could have 32 games built into the system, some export models even had 128 or more, include one game controller and anyone that has the game carts could still plug those in. Price it at $40 and it might do well. What do you think? 8)

You could have 32 games built into the system, some export models even had 128 or more

I have several of those Atari 2600 clones with built in games and none has 128 or more unique games :)

They basically have a limited number of games (16 or so) and each variation is counted as a different game. They even have the same game in a number of different colorscheme's...

And what about sliderules? They must be ready to make a comeback as well. And I really hope that 8-track players hit the stores again.

A programmable 2600 will never be made again. If you want one, the originals are still available.

Any 2600 system that uses built-in games can be compressed down to the successful joystick size. Why spend extra money just to make a bigger package that only a few thousand people give a shit about anyway? The mass market consumer won't pay more than $20-25 for this kind of classic gaming.

And what about sliderules? They must be ready to make a comeback as well. And I really hope that 8-track players hit the stores again.

A programmable 2600 will never be made again. If you want one, the originals are still available.

Any 2600 system that uses built-in games can be compressed down to the successful joystick size. Why spend extra money just to make a bigger package that only a few thousand people give a shit about anyway? The mass market consumer won't pay more than $20-25 for this kind of classic gaming.

Which is why Jakk's sticks are so popular. You got your classics, its all in one, no need for cartridges, and its cheap. He had a wonderful idea put into place, and its making him rich. Gotta give him credit.

LU8, I remember questions like yours popping up now and then on these boards, and even though it would be nice for all of us to see the 2600 back in the stores as in the good old days, I would say there is no chance.

Basically, people like us - the really devoted ones - never dismissed it and have a houseful of system and games. Personally, I would not purchase a new unit since I already have the original.

The fact that it would attract newbies is - at least - questionable. Though some games are an all-times jar of fun, I can hardly imagine a 12 yrs kid used to Xbox-box (;) this was for the "auction Central"'s devoted) to hook up a 2600 and loving it. Maybe he will find it amusing for few minutes, but soon he'll go back to killing and slaughtering or playing soccer on the sofa instead of a grass field or whatever.

I can hardly see a market for a new 2600. Maybe today many people say that it's "cool", since now it's fashion to say that vintage systems were "cool", but they don't really understand their appeal. The truly devoted ones are all gathered around this website, I think, and we all already own one or more units.

A few thousand? The Jakks 10 in 1 joystick is coming close to selling 3 million units. Radica just released several all in ones recently including a 6 in 1 Sega Genesis controller and some dedicated units as well. This market is quite hot right now, the new Jakks 13 in 1 paddle controller 2 player version is selling for $27.99-$29.99 and is already generating a lot of interest and sales, so people are loving these game systems and are buying.

Curt

I'm well aware of the success of the Jakks games. They are a convenient, low-priced toy that has had great success. That's VERY different from marketing a full 2600 again.

Same thing that I was thinking. I would buy one of those - say - to bring it with me during holidays. No way a full size 2600, with cart slot.

First off I brought up the subject of a new Atari console once months ago and that concerned a new console, not putting one of the old consoles back in production.

Well, I don't think its much of a stretch from the Jakks device to the 2600 jr, because the jr is tiny.

I have seen those famicom 8 bit console clones offered on one of those Guthy Renker (can't remember the name) style shopping networks, that was a whole console with controllers.

In any case the Jakks devices should probably be included in the production total of 2600/clone units made.

Well, I don't think its much of a stretch from the Jakks device to the 2600 jr, because the jr is tiny.

It guess that it's not much of a stretch going from an 8-track tape to a CD isn't much of a stretch because they're both tiny as well! So why can't my stero play both?

I have seen those famicom 8 bit console clones offered on one of those Guthy Renker (can't remember the name) style shopping networks, that was a whole console with controllers.

Your point being what? Those NES consoles you speak of are cheaply-made disposable crap. And its a different system with a larger fan base. The two don't relate. And even if a 2600 system was sold for $40-50, few would want it.

In any case the Jakks devices should probably be included in the production total of 2600/clone units made.

No. Because it's neither a 2600 or a clone. It's some reprogrammed games rigged to play on a self-contained system which resembles the performance of a 2600.

To my knowledge the retro console sold on the home shopping networks cannot take any game carts, and they have games like Galaxian built in. So they don't take advantage of the NES fan base, I just mention NES because that's what the case looks like but the similarity ends there. I have noticed that the packaging for the system says "8 bit game system" which I thought was amusing. I just find it interesting that such a device would be offered at all in the 21st century.

Take it easy NovaXpress, this is a topic on a gamer forum, not a life and death matter. :)

I always laugh at debates like this. I can tell you that a unit will never be released. Since the originals sold about 25 million units over the 14 year period they were released, there will never be a shortage out there. And if you were going to sell a new unit, you'd have to release cartridges to support it. The graphics alone will shy away new buyers, and all us collectors pretty much own every popular game they would have released anyway.

As for the new joystick thingies, how sturdy are they? If the controller breaks, your whole system is useless. I never pay attention to anything like this in the game store, so how much is something like this? I guess if it breaks and it's cheap enough, you could always buy another.

As for bringing back 8-tracks, or slide rules, or any other vintage item. There is always someone out there looking for original things. If it becomes popular again, people WILL re-release those items. Look at the resurgence of vinyl. You can now buy record players again. Nothing like a classic hiss and occasional pop from a record.

Phil

As for the new joystick thingies, how sturdy are they? If the controller breaks, your whole system is useless. I never pay attention to anything like this in the game store, so how much is something like this? I guess if it breaks and it's cheap enough, you could always buy another.

The PacMan unit is pretty sturdy. But the nylon disc which limits the degree of stick deflection does wear easily. I added some lubricant to it when I disassembled it. Plus I added an Atari controller port to it for 8-way action. So mine will last! My 16 yo nephew saw mine and modified his also!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

There are certainly still NIB 2600 consoles around, and the prices are nothing to sniff at, and there's always competitive bidding on ebay. I even picked up a 7800 set off eBay recently and it's on my desk as I type, looks good too. 8)

These joystick/game devices are often fragile (just as well Atari controllers are at hand), but I like the fact they are helping to keep the Atari legacy alive. I wouldn't say that all kids say old games are cool because it's cool to do so. I was on another board and when I mentioned retro gaming a youngster said how he enjoyed the 2600 stuff, even though he has only played it on PC using the Stella emulator. :wink:

In the 80s the famicom was so advanced and the 2600's stuff looked old, but if you have played PS1 or younger then the 2600 and NES are both old. Indeed, the NES capabilities over the 2600 seem marginal now when you line them up against PS2 or even Dreamcast. And yet Nintendo have released NES games for Gameboy. :D

I still have my vinyl records from the old days, including the Pete Shelley (ex buzzcocks rocker) 1983 album XL1 which has a program for the UK ZX Spectrum 8 bit home PC on the record. Even I wouldn't have thought record players would be offered again, at least I will be able to replace my stylus when it wears out. :)

The toughest part of pitching an idea like this would be explaining to executiives while people would pay $40 for something in a store that they can get at a flea market, garage sale or thrift store for a fraction of the price. I started a game this summer -- I decided I'd pick up every loose console I found for under $5. I've had to call the game off, as I have five spare 2600's, 10 or so Genesis units, and another 3 or 4 NES units. These all came from thrifts and fleas.

From what I understand, most companies make money off of game sales but lose money on their consoles. Assuming the 2600 Jr. Jr. (?) is sold at a break-even price, it would be tough to get financial backing for a product that plays "those old black tapes that cost a buck at the flea market."

Because most people don't shop at flea markets or thrift stores. I'd say that most average people either don't know about them or are barely aware of them. Or for whatever reason, the idea of buying something used is unattractive to them. And then there's all the silly people buying up the $5 consoles all the time.

Soccer Moms want something that's easy to find on a whim (just take the SUV down to the nearest big box store), and that can be wrapped up in nice paper for Johnny's birthday or for the pile of Christmas presents. If someone asked you to buy a 2600 and bring it back in one hour, you might be able to do it. Most people wouldn't.

All that said, I'll just repeat my opinion on this. As long as there are holes on the circuit board to add a cartridge slot, and holes for a switch to disable the on-board ROM, I'll be happy. Because something like this could make a portable 2600 very easy to build.

Just about all the consoles, games I have were bought new, both my woodgrain 2600 and later 2600jr. The 7800 console is the first 2nd hand electronic item I have ever purchased. When I got it I disinfected the exterior casing with Detol and shined it with furniture polish. Being a PAL unit I was concerned whether the built in game Asteroids would work.Thankfully it works perfectly. It came with an unboxed River Raid game cart, dirty, case label ripped and the exposed board wobbled. All my games still have the boxes and instruction booklets so the used experience was new to me, but it was worth it to get a 7800.

It's certainly the case that they make money on the games rather than the consoles, even when the VCS first came out this was the case. Going back to the 8 bit clone from the TV home shopping network it must be doing adequately because it has been available now for a couple of years. I laughed when I saw Jakks' new 13 in 1 because I thought of my paddle controllers and Street Racer.

I'm not a fan of built-in units to be quite honest. I have absolutely no interest in the Jakks unit or any xx in 1 units.

I've talked to people who went out and bought units with built-in NES games as well.

WHY?

2600s and NES systems are very common to find now. They aren't hard to hook up. The games have to be cheap somehow (unless you want the really rare ones).

What's the piont?

The point is, and I think Jakks has proved it, is that there's a market for people who want to play these retro games but either don't have the knowledge, the skill, or the desire to seek out classic ones, so they pick up these X in 1 joysticks instead. I completely understand that, because they're all in one units. They're not expandable.

What I read in the original post, however, was the rerelease of an Atari. Like I stated, from what I understand most companies lose money on their consoles and make money on their games. Of course you wouldn't have the development costs in a new 2600, but still ... setting up a run of these I'm sure would cost quite a bit.

Then you've got to convince the average gamer that buying a repro Atari is better than A, emulation, B, buying one of the several Atari compilations for either their computer or a console that they already own, and C, one of those Jakks joysticks. I say the average gamer because the rest already have a 2600 or ten.

The problem isnt so much a new Atari, but what about carts and what that brings.

The all in ones are a single product with the "popular" titles. taking up little shelf space.

A console version would require carts which would make the project much more of a headache sales wise. Are the stores going to start stocking 100 different VCS titles? When you can get 10 in a dedicated joystick system for $20 whats the point?

Like someone else said, if someone wants a real Atari goto ebay.

Telegames may have some stock left, but Atari under Infogrames does not. Most people on this planet do not know what Telegames is... but they know what Sears is. And Target. And Walmart. And Toys R Us.

Atari would sell millions more of the 2600 units if it were to be reintroduced, especially if it had 7800 compatability and modern connections. What is important is that it "feel" like an Atari... I dont want to be playing a crappy Jakks controler, I want a real Atari product.

Obviously built-in games are a must... what would be nice is if some people at Atari could learn to program for the Maria chip again and possibly come up with something new... say Crystal Castles built into the unit running for the 7800 with graphics from the Maria chip. Or even 7800 Tempest. Or Lunar Lander. Or Battlezone. Or Gravitar. Or Missile Command. Or Roadblasters.

Justin