IGNORED

50 Worst Atari 2600 Games Ever

Radio F Software

Ok i vote for Raider of the Lost Ark on teh merit that I cant get out of the bloody title screen the fire key, reset , anything , no matter what i do i cant get out of the damn screen and ive tried different carts. i think this makes it the worse game. totally blows when you can not get out of the 1982 © atari inc

Too bad I missed this thread earlier. Yeah, E.T. certainly isn't the worst game.

Here are some of the games I dislike:

Sorcerer, Fire Fly, the Swordquest games, Airlock, Freeway, Ghost Manor, Tax Avoiders, Entombed, and Pac-Man.

Edited by Random Terrain

Ok i vote for Raider of the Lost Ark on teh merit that I cant get out of the bloody title screen the fire key, reset , anything , no matter what i do i cant get out of the damn screen and ive tried different carts. i think this makes it the worse game. totally blows when you can not get out of the 1982 © atari inc

Did you try using the right joystick? I don't remember offhand but I think ROTLA uses the right one...I had that same issue last time I tried to play it.

I don't think there's any game I truely don't like, it's just a matter of what I play the most at the time. I'll give just about anything a fair shake.

Did you try using the right joystick? I don't remember offhand but I think ROTLA uses the right one...I had that same issue last time I tried to play it.

AtariAge has instructions for many Atari 2600 games:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.h...wareLabelID=393

3. USING THE CONTROLLERS

Use both of you're Joystick Controllers with this ATARI Game

Program cartridge. Be sure the controller cables are firmly

plugged into the CONTROLLER jacks at the back of you're Video

Computer System game. Hold the Joysticks with the red

controller buttons to you're upper left, toward the television

screen. (See Section 3 of you're Owner's Manual for furthur

[sic]  details.)

STARTING THE GAME

Start the game by pushing the POWER switch to the ON position.

Indy will be lowered down on a pedestal in the middle of the

screen. When Indy reaches the bottom of the pedestal, press

the red button on the right controller. You'll immediately

appear in an Entrance Room containing a rock and a whip. Watch

out for snakes in this room - if they bite you, you're a

goner!

RIGHT CONTROLLER

Use the Joystick on the right controller to move Indy on the

screen. He moves up, down, right, left, and diagonally in the

direction you move the Joystick. To pick yp an object, guide

Indy over the object and it will automatically be picked up.

Items that have been picked up will appear in the red

inventory strip at the bottom of the screen (see Figure 1).

You can carry a maximum of six objects; if you want to pick up

an additional object and you already have six, one object must

be dropped before a new one is picked up.

The red fire button on the right controller makes use of any

object placed in the red inventory strip. For example, if you

need to defend yourself with your revolver, you can shoot

bullets by pressing the red fire button on the right

controller. Indy must be in motion, however, for some of your

weapons - such as the revolver or the whip - to work.

[Figure 1 - Inventory strip (shows selector dot on the red

inventory strip)]

LEFT CONTROLLER

The left controller functions as your inventory control and

can be used to select or drop objects that will help you on

your quest. Notice the small white selector dot below the

objects inside the strip - use it to select the article you

want to use. You can move the dot to select an object by

moving the Joystick to the right or left. The dot will move in

the same direction you push the Joystick. Select the desired

object by returning the Joystick to the neutral (center)

position when the dot is beneath the object. To drop an

object, move the dot beneath the object you no longer want,

and press the red fire button on the controller. The object

will disappear and return to the ORIGINAL place it was found.

Don't confuse fire buttons, or you might drop an important

object when you need it the most.

• 2 weeks later...

Space Jockey is definitely the worst game I have. I'm sure there are games that are worse (although I hope not!!!!) The first time I put it in my system was also my last. After a few minutes I was like,

"Ummm. . . when does this become challenging. . . or is it like this FOREVER?????"

An absolutely pointless game, that has no challenging or exciting aspects at all. :(

Space Jockey is definitely the worst game I have. I'm sure there are games that are worse (although I hope not!!!!) The first time I put it in my system was also my last. After a few minutes I was like,  

"Ummm. . . when does this become challenging. . . or is it like this FOREVER?????"

An absolutely pointless game, that has no challenging or exciting aspects at all.  :(

Yea thats what I thought, and the same goes for Laser Blast IMO.

I will say Private Eye and yes... ET. I played ET years ago when I was little and could never make any sense of it, after all the time I was at it.

Were you old enough to read yet? It's hard to play unless you can either read the instructions or have someone read them to you:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...-et-manual.html

Edited by Random Terrain

As far as money spent/disappointment/hatred afterwards, I'd say Pac Man.

Another stinker is Donkey Kong. Sure, there were worse games from smaller companies, but I wan't a rich kid and I couldn't buy a new game every week. I went for the faves and some turned out to be SHIT.

• 2 months later...
Pac Kong is by far the worst 2600 game ever released.  It's actually unplayable.

I agree with Moycon about ET.  If you take into consideration the amount of time the programmer had to put this one together, the game's not only good, it's outstanding.

Then again, I like Skeet Shoot.  :P

I just tried Pac Kong. Holy crap is that bad :!:

I still think ET is shit, because we were also led there by our love of the movie character, and it sucks and is no fun. Sure, it was a nice achievement, given the short amount of time it took to make it, but it's still shit to me, anyway. The game may not be the worst, but it's also a bigger disappointment than something like Pac Kong :P

For me, anyway.

(Note: I actually RTFFP, but I can only be in so many forums at once. :))

I vote Zaxxon. This is hands down the worst arcade port for the 2600 I have played (disclaimer: I haven't yet played Double Dragon). It's not the differences from the arcade version that bother me; I actually think Coleco did a decent job (relatively speaking) on the graphics. The game play, however, is killed by a number of bugs that are simply inexcusable. Ever been on the right side of the screen and ended up "running into" something on the left side? Ever tried to play a 2-player game at anything past level 4? Ugh.

There aren't many 2600 games I flat-out hate. E.T. and Pac-Man could have been much better, but they aren't without their charm. Zaxxon however, wins my hatred, mostly because it's a game that became more frustrating the more I played it.

Games with a grade of F:

3d Tic Tac Toe

Airlock

Basic Programming

Brain Games

China Syndrome

Condor Attack

Cruise Missile

Custer's Revenge

Dancing Plates

Desert Falcon

Double Dragon

ET

Final Approach

Fire Fly

Flag Capture

Homerun

Journey Escape

Karate

Laser Blast

Marauder

Oink!

Pigs In Space

Porky's

Quadrun

Quick Step

Rampage

Reactor

Realsports Baseball

Skeet Shoot

Slot Machine

Slot Racers

Space Jockey

Spikes Peak

Squeeze Box

Star Ship

Stellar Track

Super Baseball

Super Cobra

Sub Scan

Survival Island

Sword of Saros

Swordquest Earthworld

Swordquest Fireworld

Task Force

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Video Checkers

Word Zapper

I agree with the above list, with the exception of Spike's Peak. :x Spike's Peak is a good game, just highly challenging. ;) My list of bad Atari games from my experience inevitably overlaps the previous list.

Strawberry Shortcake, Glib, (All Froggo games), (All Mythicon games), (All "Adult" games), Reactor, Outer Space, Dishaster, (All Swordquest games), Sneak n' Peak, Word Zapper, Squeeze Box, Journey Escape, Skeet Shoot, 3D Tic Tac Toe, Rubik's/Video Cube, E.T., Beany Bopper, Ssnake, Karate, Basic Programming(not really a game), Codebreaker, Tutankham, and many more.....

I can understand that a high number of games made in 1977-78 suck, but once programmers had time time to work with the hardware they have no excuse.

I only have about 70 2600 games and my least favorite are Bugs and Night Driver. I have heard alot of people speaking highly about Night Driver but I cant figure out what they see in it. Maybe its just me :roll:

Let me guess, you've never seen the arcade version? :P

I only have about 70 2600 games and my least favorite are Bugs and Night Driver. I have heard alot of people speaking highly about Night Driver but I cant figure out what they see in it. Maybe its just me :roll:

Let me guess, you've never seen the arcade version? :P

Nope. What am I missing?

-kemsted