IGNORED

Dragster on Activision GBA cart

Cassidy Nolen

Most honored gents (and ladies) of Atari,

I must start by saying how much I love this cart. The SP is a neat piece of hardware, and getting to play the games I love on it is amazing. With that said...

How the heck do you get below 6.00 on that game. I seriously have played it 3000 times, and I cannot do any better than 6.12. It seems like the controllers do not let you work any faster. I would like any suggestions you have.....

So far, heres what I have been doing:

At countdown, when it reaches one, I hit the gas. I have already been holding left (clutch) so a 1/2 count after the gas, I drop it in gear. It works about 1/2 the time, but not consistently.

It seems that you can rev a bit higher in gear than out, so I take advantage of that, but always seem to blow on the 3-4 shift (the most important one, I think). Any suggestions? Its like the controls will not let you do it fast enough or something. Of course, I am no good on the Atari at it either, but looking for advice on both :)

I have gotten the patches for Freeway, Seaquest, and Barnstorming. Seems like this one and Kaboom will take forever to do.

Cassidy

Yeah, I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get the Kaboom and Dragster patches on my GBA Anthology... Has anyone gotten the Kaboom patch on the GBA Anthology, ever?

BTW, I'd love to have a GBA Anthology competition some time, since we can't use our GBA's for any of the HSC competitions.

I do need to work on my patches -- so far, I only have Skiing, Tennis, and Ice Hockey.

Thank GOD other people are having this problem.

I have been playing and playing that damn DRAGSTER game like a meth fiend, and have not been able to break under 6'04" or maybe it was 6'07" anyway it has driven me insane.

I really think I need a support group, because damn it, I deserve a freakin patch.

I have gotten the patches for Freeway, Seaquest, and Barnstorming.  Seems like this one and Kaboom will take forever to do.

Cassidy

Kaboom isn't that difficult to achieve. It just takes some practice. Concentrate on following the Bad Bomber rather than the bombs and don't be afraid to loose a paddle right before you are about to get to a bonus paddle. It slows things down a few degrees making higher scores more attainable.

Now if someone could give me some advice on Tennis. That's the only one I wasn't able to get on the Anthology patch list.

I'm not glad its that hard to do, but am glad I am not alone on this one.

I just cracked the 10K mark this summer on Kaboom, but that is on real hardware. The little GBA thing does not lend itself to that game well at all. I think I will try it on my GB player and try it with the wave birds. Maybe that will help (not having to hold it in the way you do). I constantly keep hitting the shoulders and changing stuff.

6.07, man. You are pounding it. I know what you mean about being a fiend. I will look up, and its been like 45 minutes of trying. This has been going on for a week.

My name is Cassidy, and I am a dragsterhaulic.

Cassidy

Update:

Wavebirds on the GB Player made it worse. Best time, and this was between three people trying was 6.37.

Its funny, I actually wonder if the hardware is accurate enough to do this game. I know you have to be quick with modern games, but not as accurate as this requires. Not sure. Would love someone who understands the hardware to explain it (hey, if its just me, thats cool; but now I am really interested to see why we cant do it).

Off to play more...and its Labor Day weekend..sad.. :)

Cassidy

My low on the GBA Dragster is 5.91 so it's possible to get low times :)

On the VCS I got down to 5.81 and with some more time, a lower score will be mine soon ;)

To get lower times, read this old thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34156

Lots of good tips in there from Todd, D.Yancy, etc. I even posted a video on the 2nd page of the topic that should show you all how its done. It might be a matter of getting used to the controls on the GBA but that shouldn't take more than a few mintues. The game plays the sames on the GBA or VCS.

I think you're gonna need a Hori SC2 arcade stick for the GBA version running through the player on a GC. Certainly that's the only way I was able to get the patches in Decathlon! Beginning they (I got 2) were one of the best purchases I've ever made (as together with a GC->PC USB adapter, I use one on MAME too).

I think you're gonna need a Hori SC2 arcade stick for the GBA version running through the player on a GC. Certainly that's the only way I was able to get the patches in Decathlon! Beginning they (I got 2) were one of the best purchases I've ever made (as together with a GC->PC USB adapter, I use one on MAME too).

Yeah, after a couple times playing decathlon on the SP, I completely agree with you there. I should get a gamecube anyways, only $100, great games, and the gameboy player.... mmm... scramble on the tv.... mm... hehe that's on konami's greatest hits for the gba.

Someone needs to get rid of that big pic :)

When you do a wheelie you get more acceleration so a good half a dozen pops while in 4th will get you a faster time. The main thing for me to get low times is to time the beginning of the race just right. You should skip 1st gear or be in it for only the smallest fraction of a second. If you have your revs up close to max when the counter hits zero then you can pop into 2nd instantaneously.

So the multiple shifts in 4th get your times down, eh?  Also I tried not letting off the gas.  

Do you guys let off the gas?  I have been trying it both ways since I read this.  Best times without those tricks is 6.07. Now to go try them a bunch more times.  Thanks for the tips!

Cassidy