IGNORED

Space Invaders Cocktail

Stingray

Just a quick brag.

Big thanks to EricDeLee for turning loose of this beauty. This picture is crappy, but the cab is not. It's the new centerpiece of my collection, and quite possibly the most beautiful inanimate object I've ever seen that didn't have wheels. Gotta love that thumping Space Invaders bass. 8)

spaceinvaders.jpg

-S

I always wanted a Midway cocktail, and Space Invaders is the very first video game I can remember playing back at the tender age of 8 or 9. Obviously I'm very excited about having this in my collection.

Sorry Adrian, if I had two I'd share. :wink: Rest assured that it went to a loving home.

-S

Very nice score :)

I've always wanted a Space Invaders as well (and I will have one.. when the time is right). But I gravitate toward the Taito machines since I grew up with them. The Midways always seemed strange to me with the lever control on the cocktail and the button control on the uprights :P Don't get me wrong though. I still think they're ALL very cool :)

I would love to have a Taito color SI part II cocktail. But my dream machine is definitely the uber rare upright Taito Space Invaders Part 2 Upright. :D

The Midways always seemed strange to me with the lever control on the cocktail and the button control on the uprights

I agree that the funky little lever control is odd, but it also adds to the uniqueness of this machine. It takes a little getting used to that's for sure. I just hope that the control never breaks, I have no idea where I'd find another one.

-S

I agree that the funky little lever control is odd, but it also adds to the uniqueness of this machine. It takes a little getting used to that's for sure. I just hope that the control never breaks, I have no idea where I'd find another one.

That was one thing I was really worried about. lol

When I first got it... I thought it was something a previous owner placed on the cab. I never knew it had a lever for the controls.

Recently (in Nebraska this past week) I got to play on TWO different stand-up Space Invader cabinets. Now that was a great thing as that is what I grew up with. BUT... it was hard to play when I've been use to the lever controls. I've always wanted the stand-up version... and was trying to get one. I got this cocktail as a second thought... I didn't really want it. But when I got it, I fell in love with it. It really is in great shape and plays well. I wish I were able to keep it, but that's okay. I really want a Galaga cocktail anyways (or Tempest :love: )

I used to have a cool keychain for the keys I gave you. It was one of those mini Space invaders games that came out a while back. The battery died... and I guess I lost it cause I can't seem to find it. At least I still have one still sealed though! :) I always liked that little thing! I played it almost everywhere I went when I had it on my car keys.

Cosmetically it is in great shape. Someone took good care of it before I got it, and then of course I took good care of it. The artwork printed onto the glass has one major scratch on it and I think that's about it. Like I told Stingray, when I got it, my intentions were to restore it completely. But after looking it over, I realized it really didn't need much in order to restore it. So I left it as is.

I think the only thing to really do to it to make it look better is to touch-up a few spots on the bottom of the cabinet (the black areas) and to add Point cards or something under the glass (where it tells you how many points you need in order to earn a free base).

Beyond that... it is a centerpiece! :) Has been for me for a long time now.

The artwork on the control panels is pretty worn, as is the t-molding on the CPs. I've ordered new overlays & t-mold so as soon as that comes in it will look good as new.

Also I need to find a picture of what that bonus base card is supposed to look like so I can repro it.

-S

Just FTWIW....

Get a voltmeter out sometime and be sure the PCB is getting the correct voltages. A schematic is available from www.klov.com under Space Invaders.

I burned up a SI Deluxe board in a coctail because I did not have a good -5 V going to the board. Just check them out and be sure they are within range of what they should be. Worth the time, I promise.

Cassidy

WOW... you got the stuff to replace that pretty quick.  Did you get it from ebay or one of these arcade suppliers online?

I got the artwork from arcadeoverlays.com. That's off the top of my head, but I think that's right. I got the t-molding by placing an ad on the BYOAC board.

Cassidy, I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip.

-S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...