IGNORED

Got my 5200 today!

Gunstar

My brand-new, to me, very used 5200 system arrived in the mail today. I got the 4 port model with the power into the RF unit. I recieved 3 controllers with it, all were supposedly non-functional, but with a little cleaning and TLC, I have one working and I'm my way to repairing the second, the third is for salvage only, as it is missing parts. Nine games came with the unit; Berserk(I love the V.Synth., never owned a version like it before), StarRaiders, Pac-man, Q-bert, SpaceDungeon, Superbreakout, Defender, Soccer and Football.

For some reason, on SpaceDungeon, the lazer constantly fires to the lower right. Everything else seems to control properly, but I can't get it to stop firing and/or change direction. I tried this game first, and thought it was the controller, but every other game works fine...Any ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

thought it was the controller, but every other game works fine...Any ideas?

Gunstar,

You need two controllers for this game. When the game was originally sold, it was packaged with a dual control holder so you could use both joysticks simultaneously. Sort of like Robotron, remember that cool arcade game? You can get one at www.4jays.com ($15). Although, I have seen them on ebay for much less.

BTW, Congrats on your purchase! Controllers aside, the 5200 is neat system, you got to have one!!!!.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by nick harrrington:

what do u want 4 the 5200 i will trade u a

2600 system with 40 games 4 it

Yeah, right! Nice try...I just got the 5200 myself, besides, I have 7800 to play 2600 games on, so I'm not interested(at this time) in a 2600.

Where can i buy a 4 port atari switch box cheap EBAY is to high. my system as all you fo you know it in great condition 2 Mint joysticks adn powerpack but i need teh switch box anyone have an extra hey gun do you have an extra or can you find me one quick? ( i got a 2 port system missinga switch box as well but im using a 2600 rf switch. ) let me knwo where i might be able to find a 4 port switch box cheap or one period besides ebay

Ebay probably will be the cheapest place. Unless you can find one in the wild, unlikely though. I don't know what the going rate is for one of those on ebay, so I don't know if this are any cheaper. Take a look.

www.4jays.com has them

USED.........$10.00

IN BOX NEW.....$14.95

You can always make your own too. http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/04_14.html

quote:

Originally posted by Tizoc:

Ebay probably will be the cheapest place. Unless you can find one in the wild, unlikely though. I don't know what the going rate is for one of those on ebay, so I don't know if this are any cheaper. Take a look.

has them

USED.........$10.00

IN BOX NEW.....$14.95

You can always make your own too.

I bought an extra one (4 port switch), off of E-bay when I got my 5200. Luckily, it IS extra, the one that came with the system works fine. If you want, I could sell it, but I'd want more than 4-Jays, as I payed 10 bucks+shipping for it. I'd let it go for 12 bucks (to cover my original costs, plus 2 bucks for shipping to you, so $14.00.

• 1 month later...

Ah, more Berzerk fans! I really feel it is one of the top 5 or so must-have 5200 games. The game plays excellently, and the voice synthesis is freaky! Mrs Cafeman told me that when she heard the voice in Berzerk at her cousin's house, when she was younger, it scared her!

I always loved 5200 Pac-Man. I like it more than Ms Pac Man, which plays slower and unfortunately has some flicker issues (in all fairness, it would have been tough NOT to have the flicker). Do you want to know what my favorite thing about 5200 Pac-Man is? The loud arcade-like sound when you eat a blue ghost! It's just so awesome, loud, and satisfying! "BWOOOIIINK!"

I haven't actually played my system for a few weeks! Talking about it makes me itchy to play it again though!

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

Bump!

Still playing, Gunstar?

My 5200? yeah, mainely Berserk!, Star Raiders, Star Trek and Joust. Although I've been tinkering with my 8-bit for the last couple of weeks since I got my SIO2PC/10502PC cable/diskdrive. I'm going gonzo for all the European games that I was denied years ago, since they were never released in the U.S.! Oh, yeah!!!

By the way, I downloaded Moon Patrol and the music is really screwed up, do you think this is because it might be the 5200 version or what? I honestly don't know if it's a 5200 rom image made into an .atr image or if it's just a bad image of the 8-bit version. Jungle Hunt is the same way...I do want to get Moon Patrol cart for my 5200 anyway, as I think it would be fantastic for the 5200 controllers. Although, I think I'm going to save up for the multi-cart...

I got mine a little after. I love it. Play it every night. Got a good deal on it from ebay. It took a while to get to me from Canada. When it did both controllers were busted. I rebuilt one with a rev 9 board and gold dot buttons. Just won another on ebay that was rebuilt the same way for 39 bucks. (if you can call that winning...geez...) The reason I didnt rebuild my 2nd was its missing the boot and all that. My 4port RF is working fine. I like the click it makes when you turn the system on. I just ordered a multicart from Sean...can't wait to get it. So after I get that, and order a trackball, I'm all set. :-)

I think so far out of the games I do have, my favs are pacman (great version) and berzerk. I also love space invaders, but it just seems SOOOOO wierd after playing the 2600 version my whole life.

Charlie