IGNORED

what game is this?

Bogie323

Greetings to all. My first post. I wanted to know what game this is. I don't know the name but really enjoyed playing it as a kid. Let me describe it.

The main character is a guy with a helicopter type backpack that allows him to fly (navigate?). He goes down into the earth, left, right, and any of these combinations in a Pitfall style of progression. I recall volcanic lava as being the biggest obstacle to overcome. You would have to memorize at what position of the screen you could drop safely between the pulsating lava (basically) from the upper screen to the lower screen. Once you finished the mission a new level that was longer and more difficult would begin with a timer counting down. For some reason I recall "spelunk" as possibly a title but it isn't listed in any of the 2600, 5200, or 7800 areas.

Could this game have been on another system that I don't remember? I recall playing this game at home quite a bit since it was very challenging but the only systems I owned were an atari and the nintendo as a kid.

Any replies would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Thanks everyone.

AH, what fond memories from my childhood looking at those screenshots. As to why I could not remember the title is beyond me. H.E.R.O. and Solar Fox were the two games that I played the most and I remember solar fox. By the way, how many levels were in H.E.R.O.? I know I made it pretty far but was there an ending?

How ironic that in the registration process I chose the avatar "hero" without knowing that was the answer. I feel very stupid right about now. And thank you StanJr for remembering a game called "spellunker". (so that's where I came up with that, although I don't remember exactly how it played).

Again, thanks to everyone here for not just helping me out but for maintaining such a high level of enthusiasm for something more than two decades old. And in essence allowing me to reminisce...

Chris

As best I remember, after level 30 their are no new levels in HERO, but they start to cycle randomly, or something like that. There is no "FINISH" that I know of (somebody else will trump me on this, I'm sure)

HERO is one of my fav games too. I love it.

I thought the Avatar thing was very ironic. The very game you sought stared back at you from your avatar the whole time......

As for "Spellunker" I'm trying to remember what it was like. Oddly enough, I think I remember the cart had a pruple label with orange text and a dude in a cave. But I can't place the exact game play or visualize a screenshot.