IGNORED

Thrift Turn-over rates?

StanJr

How often do you check the local thrifts?

How often do they have something new (anything from old couches and Barry Manilow vinyl to atari carts? What's their turnover rate for stuff?

The places around here are good for a check-in about once a week. That's not saying I find something once a week, but that I always see new junk in there every week.

i dont know anymore its been like 6 months since i went to the one close to me

but the last time i was there they changed it all around and i couldnt find the games area anymore , then i asked a worker there all he said was there out there somewhere LOL

I check each of the major thrift stores in my area (about 10, I think) once a week, on average.

Generally speaking I'll get one significant acquisition from each of them each month. The areas I go for are: video games, 45s & interesting other vinyl, action figures, board games, videos, and books.

So I'd say in an average month I'll have around ten good hauls with several small ones thrown in.

For instance, there's one where the guy who runs a rug store next door always gets the video game stuff first because he hears when the truck comes in and goes over. But he doesn't pay attention to toys, which allowed me to get a box of over a hundred '80s G.I. Joes for $7.00. They're all like that. New stuff all the time, and at least one solid purchase a month.

I try to check as often as possible without making the employees think that I'm stalking them. You see, it seems that around here, if something is out, then it's only a matter of time before it's gone. This especially applies to Atari games. If I pass on something, it'll be gone within a day or two. I passed on a bag of common games (we're talking 1's here) that wasn't there the day before, and it was gone the next day (Yes, I went every day for three days in a row). The way I figure it, the only way I'll be sure not to miss anything is to actually go every day. Of course, this doesn't exactly fit into my hectic life, so I simply go as often as is comvenient, which usually ends up being twice or thrice a week. I have no problem going every day for three or four days in a row though... hell, I've been finding quite a bit of stuff lately, even when I've already been there the day before!

--Zero