IGNORED

Game God

Malix

The majority of this board has been playing video games for a long time. We take our gaming seriously and along with this comes the perverbialy trash talking.

My question to you all is, what game can no other even come close to you? What game do you laugh at when someone even considers trying your almighty Game God status?

I am really good at Coin-Op Space Invaders: I can easily score in the 70k range and beyond but pretty much quit at that point out of boredom or lack of time. PartII/Deluxe is another story.. that game is hard! You can check out one of my mame .inp files here. Although you may have to refresh after clicking

I also think I'm pretty good at the coin-op Defender and Robotron. Although I'm FAAR from the top players of these games, I can hit a million in robotron in medium difficulty and can hang longer in Defender than the avg. player.

I also used to think I was ok at Donkey Kong but obviously I wasn't THAT good ;p

I am a good all-around player. Not great but not bad either. But the one game that I always ruled at was Summer Games for the Atari computers and C-64. I had Decathlon for the 2600, so I had a good technique to build up and maintain speed. The first time I played Summer Games against a few friends of mine, one of my friend's spoke up and said "Don't worry dude, I have had this game for a while, so I'll probably beat you." So anyways, he and I had to race in the 100m and again he repeated himself. Then suddenly the race started. I used my Decathlon technique, and WHOOSH! I was off the screen, and was already done with the race before my friend hit 60m. The room went quiet. And I've been best friends with that guy ever since. Every other game I've played against him I've won maybe 40% of the time.

I AM THE GOD OF COLECOVISION DONKEY KONG AND ACTIVISION RIVER RAID!!! I PITY THE MORTALS WHO CHALLENGE MY ALL MIGHTY GREATNESS!

(actually, I'm just ok at River Raid with my high score bieng 23,000, but I absolutley rock at ColecoVision Donkey Kong, rolling the score over twice in a single game)

X-Men Children Of The Atom on Saturn, there was a time when I couldnt even consider anyone matching me, much less beating me. I was beating that game on level 8 with no continues(many times not losing a round) with different characters on a regular basis.

I also destroyed anyone who played against me, to the point of humiliation. I am not exaggerating.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: Tronic ]

When people I know in RL learn that I am a classical video game enthusiast, they generally assume that I am some master gameplayer. I always reply that liking video games does not imply being any good at them. I suppose there are games on which I don't completely embarrass myself, but I doubt my skills are anything to write home about. To mix a couple of clichés: The play's the thing, not whether you win or lose.

(Or how badly you lose...)

BAH! Rhindle, I shall crush you at SoulCalibur any day of the week! My Lizardman is unbeatable and I am pretty good with others as well! I look forward to perhaps playing you some day. You'll probably beat me.

And to further rain on your parade, Nateo, my River Raid best is currently holding at 30,690.

I am the sad and lonely King of Frostbite. I can roll that game over with 9+ extra lives. Its good to be king, but its very cold.

I also enjoy some success with Crystal Castles and Mr. Do!

Well, I can plow through Super Mario World in one trip... but I've never considered that a very hard game. Rayman on the other hand is a lot harder, but I can still slam through it as well. I've been playing a lot of Jet Grind Radio lately, though I wouldn't consider myself a God at it. I also routinely destroy my friends when it comes to Crazy Taxi or Mario Kart 64

Somehow I managed to get a good reputation as a Pong player, though I really don't think I'm that great. (We haven't played in quite a while anyways)

Oh yeah, and when we play hockey, I'm always the better goalie somehow (though I think that's because I'm the only one who ever routinely plays in net...)

--Zero

I was always really good at Dr. Mario. The NES version is a joke... I'll keep rolling that one over until I get bored with it. The gameboy version is a little more challenging, but I always can get to at least level 25.

Then there's always Atari Video Pinball. I can play the heck out of that one, too.

As "classic" a gamer as I am, my mastery is in the Bemani games. GUITAR FREAKS in particular. I had never played the game in an arcade but got hooked on it after purchasing a pair of the Konami guitar peripherals. For weeks, the locals and I would JAM. I mastered all the songs on the first mix.

Surprisingly, Konami had the coin-op hooked up at the 2000 E3 show in LA. One of my console-jamming buddies was there with me so we tried our hands at the "real thing". The controller was much heavier as you might imagine, but interestingly enough - EASIER to play with.

I didn't see anyone at E3 top my score. And there were some pretty serious gamers who kept going back to knock me off.

If ONLY I could play Missile Command like I play Guitar Freaks! Hmm. Maybe someone needs to adapt Missile Command for the guitar controller!

Forbidden Forest on the Commodore 64. I can normally loop at least the easyer setting levels without dying.

Also, I used to be really good at Yars Revenge, I could play for a heck of a long time without dying.

Also, Star Trek for the 2600, I was quite good at.

I've lots much of my skill with these games over the years though from lack of practice.

I can totally destroy anything in the Magical Drop series. If you think Bust a Move (Puzzle Bobble) is intense, you haven't seen anything until you try these games - the popular bubble tossing game will look as slow as Dr. Mario after you see Magical Drop's insane pace. Now if only MD3 didn't speed up the game to unplayable levels because I kick its ass so badly... ;-)

I don't consider myself to be a great game player in any area... I just play to have fun, and when the difficulty of a game starts to annoy me I'm no longer having fun, so I shut it off and do something else.

I'm pretty good at fighting games... definitely not tournament calibur but I can give my friends a good run for their money, even the ones who've been playing them for years longer than I have.

As for 2600 games, well, I almost rolled Midnight Magic once! ^^;

P.S. I'd like to see how well Joe would do against my friend Pat Reynolds in a game of Guitar Freaks. Tips & Tricks should hold a contest specifically for those two guys, to see who's *really* the king of the virutal axe.