IGNORED

Coleco Gemini problem

Charlie_

Is there some sort of issue with the controller ports on coleco gemini systems going bad? The controller will not go up or fire unless i pull up on the plug. I even tried to bend the pins off at a slight angle to make sure all connections were good. It didnt help.

Does anyone think i should go ahead and resolder the pins where they meet the board?

Charlie

Well, I thought there was a problem with Gemini systems and the controller ports because all the ebay auctions I have seen say things like: "works but the controller port might need to be cleaned because it doesnt work all the time."

I got a Gemini and sure enough the player 1 controller port didnt work well. I had to pull up on the plug to get it to move in all directions. I took the thing apart and played with it for a while and wound up resoldering the pins where they go into the motherboard.

All I had to do was touch them with the pen iron. All but one. One I touched and the solder seemed to "reject" the pin and go to the outside radius. I added a little solder to this one. Everything works fine now.

Looking at the design it seems that over time plugging and unpluggin joysticks places stress on the solder points. The plastic "D" shell doesnt clip to the mother board to tightly.

This is a great little system. It's very small. I don't have a 2600jr (yet) but I wonder if the gemini is any bigger or smaller.

So FYI, if you get a gemini with this problem get out the soldering pen. :-)

Charlie

• 1 month later...