IGNORED

Vectrex Overlays for MESS

JohnnyBlaze

This tutorial has a link:

http://www.atariage.com/7800/emulation/mess_tutorial/

But I actually found the page using Google and typing ".png vectrex overlays", so R_Z. will be happy  ;)

Problem with that tutorial - and evident by the screenshots - is the setup has an incorrect aspect ratio/display. For people that have never played on or seen the Vectrex it probably won't matter. However, the Vectrex unit had a "very" vertically mounted display (Think 16:9 flipped to 9:16).

The last version of vectrex where I am able to display the proper aspect ratio with the overlays is just prior to version 0.36 final. At the 0.36 final mark MAME changed artwork support (Which of course naturally affected MESS). I have tried for literally hours - at different times - to make the 'new' artwork files (tried several different ones - from several different sources), work with 'newer' versions of MESS (Including the latest version). However, either I get proper aspect ratio with no artwork or artwork with incorrect aspect ratio (Exactly like the screenshots in the aforementioned link).

Nonetheless, your millage may vary. I know of others who say they have no problems with the "new" artpacks and/or "newer" MESS versions. As for me, I keep a seperate folder with the older version of MESS (with the "older" artpacks) just for Vectrex support. It works flawless - and full frame rate - even at 1600x1200 (Another thing changed in later version of MAME/MESS is the emulation of vector games - "Newer" version require *a lot* more horsepower than "older" versions). I run Windows XP with Service Pack 2 on a P4 1.4Ghz machine - Radeon 9600 PRO.

-Trebor