IGNORED

How to tell NTSC and PAL carts apart?

Albert

Someone sent us a question that I'm not sure the answer to. Is there any way to differentiate NTSC and PAL 7800 carts without actually trying them out in a real 7800? Did Atari consistently mark them with a "P" or something? Are the boxes different? I don't have any PAL 7800 games (yet), so I figured I'd leave this question to the PAL experts. I'll also add this tidbit of information to the 7800 FAQ.

Thanks!

..Al

The boxes will have the "For use with North American NTSC Televisions" line on the back grayed out.  

Are you sure? I don't remember ever seeing a PAL 7800 box like that. All of my (Atari made) PAL 7800 boxes are identical to their NTSC counterparts.

The only difference I've seen is that many of the PAL carts have a "P" sticker on the back of the cart.

Also, if the French instructions are shrinkwrapped to the back of the box, then it is the PAL version. Not all of them have it though.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I have at least three like that: Mario Bros., Alien Brigade, and Planet Smashers. That line is grayed out with the same silver type paint that's on the boxes. It's really hard to see the text underneath, but if you look hard enough it's there.

Tempest

I have at least three like that: Mario Bros., Alien Brigade, and Planet Smashers. That line is grayed out with the same silver type paint that's on the boxes. It's really hard to see the text underneath, but if you look hard enough it's there.

Hmm... I just checked my NTSC versions of these games and only the Mario Bros box has the "use with NTSC" part. There must have been more than one version of these boxes.

For what it's worth, I checked all of my 7800 boxes and I have 8 NTSC boxes that list "use with NTSC" and none of my PAL boxes have it at all. I did notice that many of my NTSC boxes also have a sticker for the Atari Advantage club but none of my PAL ones had it.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

The carts usually (not always) have a P sticker on the back side of the cart. The boxes will have the "For use with North American NTSC Televisions" line on the back grayed out. Other than that there's no real way to know.

Tempest