IGNORED

MAD ATARIAN (ALEX PLEASE READ)

atari70s

So far alots been doign good in QBASIC on this game. its about 60% done and is playable to some extent.im really excited about this project. I DO NEED HOWEVER ALEX or ALBERT to talk to me cause i do need the OK to use the website WWW.ATARIAGE.COM in my game. I leave little tidbits in huts ( so its not a shop its a small town. where you walk into stores and find games.). which is cool

There is no time limit and there will be a way to take your score, amount of carts found and Steps taken to get to the score. (the way to judge the score will take time. but it is a great breakthough and should be done by APRIL 2002. that is if all goes well and i get the OK from ATARIAGE for PRomoting there site. ALEX ALSO I can send you the .BAS file and QBASIC if you want to see how its goin. ( I WAS THINKING OF NAMING THE LITTLE MAN IN THE GAME ALEX BUT THOUGHT YOUD BE MAD AT ME FOR DOING IT. ) so for i have it that you walk into a hut a little man tells the wondering man ( CHRIS ) about atariage. com which is cool and there will be an easter egg with JP my name in it so it will be good to see who finds it. i think this will end up being a PC copy or a 8 bit cart when i get it done and transfer it to atari basic. but other than that sounds like its all up and UP . EMAIL ALEX and ill email you both tonight

ATARI70s

well the BAS file for your PC should be ready by DEC 2001, or JAN 2002. i hope to convert it to the XE system shouldnt take more than 4 months. maybe i can start selling them by Apr.02. not sure. the first batch from my site will be limited to 100 ( 0 - 99) so if you really that interested start sending in my email Name adresses and 1st come 1st save. BUT NO OFFICIAL DATE ON RELEASE . just hope when its done it wil be good. and everyone will like it

Zero i have books showing me how to do this and i should be able to with little problems i dont see why i should have a major problems.

* im positng here is cause i soon to make this for 5200 and 2600 also but i need people to read this so i post here as well

"MAD ATARIAN" for the 8 bit

ALSO i think im going to take first round of PREORDERING OF MY GAME to be done OCT 27, 2001. The first 51 games will be hand signed and hand numbered. copy # 0 will stay with me and copies 1-50 will be sold with a greenish color back round . if all the preordering goes good, ill do 50 more with a Blue backround. 51-100. but GREEN is the frist RUN .

the cost will be $40.00

in it you will get :

1 cart ( hand signed & Hand numbered)

1 Manual (hand numbered

1 Box (hand numbered

1 Registration card that should be sent back so i can make a page. of all who owns a copy

(sending the card back will also keep you updated on new upcoming games i might be working on (EMAIL) )

also i plan on having a Poster/MAP to help you people out with the Town.

The last thing i plan on doing is a High score page. there will be colums of like this

RANK SCORE CARTS WARPS NAME DATE

1 1 1 1 ME 11/01/01

(NEXT LINE - after date )

RATING

As of now im not done with the cart label im still working on it, but i hope to soon have it done and send it to www.atariage.com to post with the 5 screen shots i mailed albert.

ive been working on this since the conception date 9-21-01 and im about 70% done. so things are really moving. Since the game if i do it as it is has no real ending so i am gonna end up doing some sort of RATING system. This is going to be in the manual since i dont hold the specks of it right now.

I seem to have aproval to have a little spot in the game for WWW.ATARIAGE.COM (thanks to albert. ) i can safely say concerning to albert atariage.com will get there little line in the opening credits. ( thats right credits) . i hope to hear from everyone soon to get this cool game.

TO PREORDER STARTING 10 - 27 - 01

SEND

NAME

EMAIL

if you want

MAILING ADRESS BUT I THINK I WILL REASK THIS AFTER I START MAKING A LIST OF NAMES BUT TO BE REGISTERED FOR COMING NEWS AND ALSO CONTESTS YOU WILL NEED TO BE REGISTERED.

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT. ( little convosation besides i want a cart would do real good here)

ANY COMMENTS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IN UP COMING GAMES. ( or how i should finish the last 30% of my game.

You have books showing how to port a game from QBasic to Atari Basic? Interesting. If you plan on making this game for the 5200 or 2600 your going to have to do it in 6502, there's no other way.

Have you tried to run it in regular Basic on the Atari? Did it actually run at a sane speed? Maybe you should test it on the XE before you start taking pre-orders. I know I'm going to make sure my game is 100% working before I start signing anyone up.

Tempest

STAN

thats a great idea and thats what i was doing when i said email me to preorder. ( I DONT WANT YOUR MONEY RIGHT NOW ,CAUSE WHAT IF I NEVER FINISH IT. ) but your right mayeb ill do a poll which was being attempted with the pre order idea ( at the same time setting up a number cart system) BUT NO MONEY NOW.

albert has 5 screen shots he can put up if he wants to

Atari70's, I may be wrong but I think you are being perhaps a bit too optimistic about converting PC QBasic to Atari 800 Basic. From what we discussed the other night, and from what I've seen in your game, I already saw a few things that will be implemented very differently from QBasic.

For example, I believe QBasic draws a circle for you. I think you need to hand-draw a Circle in Atari Basic (and the resolution will be very different, and lower colors in most modes too!). I think I used to do Sin and Cosine functions with PI to draw circles in Atari 800 Basic, for example.

To port it to the 5200 you'd need to use 6502 ASM, which is nothing like Basic. Actually, a seasoned 6502 vet could probably whip up a version of your game with not too much trouble, I am guessing -- use Antic 4's tiles, do a Pitfall/Adventure kind of game with huts/houses that you can enter and get points for.

Just some thoughts! Best wishes on your ambitious project!

I don't think it would be very difficult to port the game from QBasic to Atari BASIC . But you would probably be better off starting with Atari BASIC rather than porting it later, since that's just going to create more work and headaches from you. Modifying the graphics to work on the Atari 8-bit is going to take the most work. Plus you can take advantage of Atari 8-bit sound, whereas I imagine you can only do simple tones in QBasic.

However, Tempest is right in that you'll probably need to write the program in 6502 assembly in order to put it in cartridge form. While I know of many commercial programs and (even) games that used BASIC, those all required that you already had a BASIC cartridge (for the 400/800) or a machine with built-in BASIC (XL/XE). I doubt you could stuff BASIC and a BASIC program into a cartridge and have it work properly. But I could be wrong.

So while you can use QBasic or Atari BASIC to develop the concept for a game, it's going to take a considerable amount of effort to take that BASIC program and convert it into a 6502 program. This task will be difficult for the Atari 8-bit/5200 and will be extremely difficult for the 2600.

I definitely wouldn't start taking pre-orders until you have something working in assembly language on the platform you intend to release the game on. The last thing you want to do is incur the wrath of gamers by taking their money in advance for a game that you might have problems delivering (this has happened in the past!) In fact, I wouldn't even worry about distribution until the game is nearing completion, I would just stay focused on the goal of getting the game done (and making it as enjoyable as possible).

..Al

OK,

2 points here

1) Who would order a copy if and when i release it. ( this is a poll and might be better than my pre order idea WITHOUT asking for money) . if your interested in this and would buy this game in 8 bit form let me know. email me at Braves4515@aol.com

2.) i have discovered a fair way to create a Top List of Mad Atarians. I know its possible that you can play forever and get a few billion points. but how woudl that be fair to someone who plays adn only gets 20,000 or 50,000? I have an answer Introducing my RATING SYSTEM. (ta da)

heres how it works i will give 3 examples to prove its fair

EXAMPLE # 1

3000 steps

40carts * 50 pts. 2000

16carts * 20 pts. 320

13carts * 10 pts. 130

9warps * 15 pts. 135

total is 5,770 pts

5770/3000 is a rating of 1.92

EXAMPLE # 2

101256 steps

24carts * 50 pts. 1200

31carts * 20 pts. 620

36carts * 10 pts. 360

9warps * 15 pts. 135

total is 103,571 pts

103,571/101256 is a rating of 1.02

EXAMPLE # 1

499 steps

3carts * 50 pts. 150

6carts * 20 pts. 120

9carts * 10 pts. 90

2warps * 15 pts. 30

total is 889 pts

889/499 is a rating of 1.78

This is to make this rating system fair to all members who play . all i ask is a nice clear screen shot so i can view and type teh info in and as you can see :

The one with the most points wasnt 1st

The one with the least points wasnt 1st so i think this might be fair after all .

waht do you think

albert do you like and i need you to test out the game via Qbasic

if you coudl play it 6 or 8 times different situations send the screen shot OUTSIDE ( so all know how they will send it ( it will be in the manual)) wiht all info and i can really test this idea out. let me knwo

albert please email me if you can or cant do this for me. thanks again

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

1) Who would order a copy if and when i release it. ( this is a poll and might be better than my pre order idea WITHOUT asking for money) . if your interested in this and would buy this game in 8 bit form let me know. email me at Braves4515@aol.com

You could have posted this poll here. It's this kind of thing I set this Yahoo Group up for.

It would also allows you to easily see the results without having to keep track yourself.

What the hell is a warp: a warp is a circle that allows you to be transported from 1 house to another house ( where a video game maybe) .

heres the general backround of the game.

yoru at home getting mad at ebay and your thinking of a way to get more atari games. now you flip though a paper and find out just outside your door your home town has a town sale of atari video games. and you deside to go house to house and get as many as u can . ( then the hunt is underway

quote:

Heres the Poll

You should turn off the need to join the group in order to vote in the polls. Most people (myself included) don't want to have to join a group just to answer one question.

On my "Classic Game Polls" Yahoo Group, you could put this poll up and anyone can respond, without having to join.

quote:

i cant get it to work any other way . thats the only way they alow me to do it . i cant go in to change it cause they dont give me an option

If you are the owner of the group, you can click on "Settings" to the left on the main page. There you will find a series of settings you can change for the Group. On the right towards the bottom is the "Features and Options" section. Click on "Edit." This takes you to the "Features and Options" page. Change the setting for "Polls" to the first choice: "Public (anyone, including non-members, can vote in polls)." Save the changes and it's done. Anyone can vote without having to join.

STan i will try answer your questions .

Q)wahts up with teh warps and do they go.

A) they stay with you for ever. You get 15 points for the warps. so far i only have 1 up and running however you get moved from 1 house to another and it places you at the same place everytime in the house. also i hope to do about 5 or 6 of these.

Q) is the purpose to save steps.

yup its to entise players to find new and exciting ways to get a better rating and also to throw them off since you will see the same color for every warp and all cart circles will be the same color as the room floor you will NEVER know where you are if youpause it and come back you are pretty much lost. ( to make this very very challenging)

The only down side is there wont be a beginner and no expert settings i found this to be easy for everyone from beginer right though.

i just sent my newest demo to my helper in this and to see what he thinks

OK The poll is up pass it along to anyone interested in this DP or Atariage. or anyone else some reason if you dont use DP board regularly they ban you. ( heck i never do anythign wrong i posted 25 times havent touched in in months and now im baned so whats up with that . see here you guys (alex and albert) understand we dont always got time for posting ( yet 1500 or 741 may seem like we do )

UPDATE:

heres my projections on the TOP 50 ranks (based on ratings not score

(Estimates on only 80 scores being recorded)

1-10 5.00 - +

11-20 4.99-4.50

21-30 4.49-4.00

31-40 3.99-3.50

41-50 3.49-3.00

51-60 2.99-2.50

61-70 2.49-2.00

71-back 1.99- less

this is a rough idea but it give people something to rate againist im sure this will change later on