IGNORED

Very incomplete Arkanoid demo

Nukey Shay

Freed up 12 bytes of Ram in Breakout.

Using ROL_out as a base, I began trying to work in falling capsules. To accomplish this part, I just eliminated players #3 and #4 (to try them out, have # of players set at 3 or 4). Right now, a "capsule" always appears, is always grey, and is always in the same position. Since it was originally a paddle, it still functions like one. I need to edit the collision routines to provide player-to-player collision detection, and have it be ignored by the ball.

With the additional ram, I can set up the capsules to be different colors, have it change game modes, keep a timer active for those changes, and add seperate level counters for each player. Using a level counter, new walls can be loaded with multiple shapes 8)

I don't currently have a solution for the brick's "hit points" (other than reusing the "shadow wall"...which would kill the possibility of 2-player games)...so this idea probably won't evolve into a full Arkanoid game (just be "Arkanoid-like").

arktest.zip

I have always professed my love for Arkanoid and my desire to see a version for the 2600.  Would be nice to see one written from scratch instead of hacked from an Atari game for somewhat obvious (*cough*) reasons.  :)

Heh, or what if it was a hack of a homebrew?

Wonder if Reflex could be so mangled...

Just a thought.

Rule #1 in hacking...

I never try to justify it with ethics ;)

It may never make me wealthy, but hopefully it makes a better game. And that's what's important.

Current mess...

I dropped a scanline off the top. Occasionally, an extra one was popping in the screen someplace (need to track that glitch down). When the capsule hit the paddle, it makes an onscreen glitch. Rather than try to correct that, I might just leave it in (so there's a visual reminder that a capsule was picked up).

The capsule size has been changed to be smaller...and it now has variable horizontal positioning (though it's still not lined up with the brick that was hit). No levels/board shapes yet.

arktest.zip