IGNORED

Make *Your* Hack Count!

Trebor

See this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57638

There are some great Hacks out there - Not recognized correctly, if at all by the emulators out there. Atari Age has some bad postings, Good Tools as well - So, it's up to us to try and help out.

One way is with the emulator Stella. Stella has a file included with the download entitled Stella.Pro - You can open it up in Notepad or Word Pad and you will see every "known" ROM listed there.

To have your hack listed - simply find the ROM entry in which your hack is based upon. Copy the following lines of data:

"Cartridge.MD5" "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

"Cartridge.Name" "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

"Cartridge.Type" "XX"

"Display.Height" "XXX"

"Display.YStart" "XX"

""

Cartridge.Type as well as the Display.Height and Display.YStart remain unchanged - Don't modify a thing.

The Following need to be modified:

Cartridge.Name" "Super Trebor's Hack (XYZ Hack)"

Cartridge.MD5" "??????????????????????????????????????"

You obtain that information by starting up Stella - Hitting the tab key (Even if the screen appears blank), and selecting 'Game Information'.

I believe there is another way to output the Game Information to a txt file - However, I forget the command line option or switch.

For the "Good" Tools - Unfortunately, I don't have an address or method to contact "Cowering".

Nonetheless, even 'more' important is perhaps to e-mail Albert or/and Alex (Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes :| ) Atari Age's database for Hacks is missing several entries (See the Mr. Pac-Man post - Only the "New Siren Sound" version is posted - which hangs on all emulators).

Anyhow, I'm not trying to be critical - but would like proper credit due to individuals who worked hard on these Hacks as well as for the public to have them sorted well. For instance, one of Rob's Arcade hacks: Space Invaders Arcade - Is still labelled this way: Space Invaders [h1]. Which it is a Space Invaders hack - But, it has also been released as its own game with cartridge as well. A more suitable title would be: Space Invaders Arcade (Space Invaders Hack). Perhaps Space Invaders Arcade (Rob Kudlow).

In any event, Hacks (And Homebrews) need proper description/titles. Many hacks are correctly labelled - However, both Good Tools and Atari Age miss various revisions of hacks. It's our community people - And it's *your* work - Don't let it miss out on being properly recognized :wink:

-Trebor