IGNORED

"Superman"-best early game?

King Atari

In 1979, when "Superman" was released, the Atari was still in it's early stage, when the games had blocky graphics and generic sound effects. For me, "Superman" is my favorite early game, maybe due to the fact that it was one of the primitive games but had somewhat more plot than the others. Anyone agree?

Yeah I liked Superman too. My friends and I would take turns playing and see how quickly we could beat it. It seems there was a trick to blow the bridge up without having to actually walk over to it. That would shave a few seconds off the time. I can't remember now what our best times were. Seems to me it was under 3 minutes.

Actually, it's the other way around. There is a method of NOT allowing the bridge to explode (so you won't have to rebuild it).

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26superman.htm

Actually, the third method is by far the fastest...you don't even need to play it to win in under a second.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

There is a method of NOT allowing the bridge to explode (so you won't have to rebuild it).

I dont recall ever not getting the bridge to explode. But maybe that is what we did?? I really can't remember now. Been at least 17 years since I played that game. I'll have to break out the old 2600 and give it a try.

Yes, Superman definitely was one of the best of the early games (And still holds high marks against some of the newer games). I still don't have a copy unfortunately (Considering how non-rare this is, I've been trying to avoid eBay-ing it), so I haven't played it extensively. I seem to remember Jeff Minter's web page claiming that he could finish this game in around 1 minute (!!!)... but this was back in the days, so he's probably gotten quite rusty now It's good to see that the people who bring us great games have such good taste in games themselves.

--Zero

In relation to Ze_ro's post, I saw it once at a thrift shop, a text version, but passed over it. A couple months ago I had to use ebay because nobody else had it. Good news was that it took long for the seller to get the item out, so she asked me to e-mail her with a list of games I need and if she had one she'd send it w/"Superman". I got a "Zaxxon"!