IGNORED

Master of Arcturus Public Beta Test

TROGDOR

Master of Arcturus

Yep, you caught me. :P

I added some fictional background to the Prologue in the manual, and at that point the War of the Worlds title didn't apply at all, so it became Master of Arcturus.

It seems that every combination of has been used as a game title:

Space War

Space Battle

Space Conquest

Space Conflict

Stellar War

Stellar Battle

Stellar Conquest

Stellar Conflict

Interstellar War

Intersetllar Battle

etc etc etc...

but Master of Arcturus returns no Google hits, so it wins. :)

I managed to get version 1.00 submitted on time. What do I win for being the last submission to MiniComp 2004? The Golden Procrastinator award? I suppose the trophy would be a golden wristwatch with a finger pointing at it.

The latest version has the following enhancements:

1. Name changed to Master of Arcturus.

2. Slight random element added to combat. Every stardate, I randomly set or clear the carry bit on the subtraction. In a 13 round battle, this can make a substantial difference, to the point that an attacking fleet of 255 can defeat a defending star system even with the production add on. It does make combat more interesting.

3. The split screen display now has a pretty border. Unfortunately, the text display code causes those nasty black lines on the left side of the screen, so I had to remove the highlighting effect for destination and launch selection fields.

4. On reset, the previously selected level is preserved. Unless you select level 65. In that case, when you reset you'll see the level you actually played.

5. Nasty bug fix. There was a 1 in 64 chance that the game star data would get corrupted by the shifting star Fx during the title screen. In one particular instance, it was changing the player's homeworld to an Alien world, causing the game to end the moment it started! I need to hire more beta testers. :P

I don't have the updated manual with me, so I can't post it yet. I'll post the updated game and manual tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a new screenshot.

For the last 4 days, an old highschool drinking buddy has been in town, so it's been a rough weekend. :evil: Bar hopping and assembly coding are a dangerous mix. It's 3:00 AM in Arizona, and it's time to get some sleep. :o

TROGDOR

post-5668-1096283948_thumb.jpg

Master of Arcturus

Yep, you caught me. :P

You are better then me. I am still looking for a good name for two of my three submitted MiniGames. And the name of the third one isn't very creative at all, too. :)

BTW: Thanks for adding some random element. :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, criminal unbeliever.

By the way, is this the first RTS game for the 2600? Any other examples?

I think it is. Complex strategy games require text, something the Atari usually doesn't have. The only 3 games that I can think of that have more than just a few lines of text are the infamous Stellar Trak, Dragon Stomper, and the homebrew Dark Mage. That was one of my motivations for writing this game. The Atari can support a decent RTS, but noone's ever done it. Stellar Trak is a great strategy game, but it isn't real-time.

I'm also partial to strategy games because they have a much higher replayability than most action games. Level 64 is tough enough that it beats me about 1 in 4 games, even though I know exactly what the AI is thinking. So I still play it a lot. :)

TROGDOR

• 1 year later...