IGNORED

VIC-20

Ze_ro

Ah, the VIC-20... the C-64's little brother. Unfortunately, the classic gaming community has all but forgotten this old machine. It's not surprising really, considering how much better the C-64 was, and the small amount of time between the two of them. However, the VIC-20 was still the first computer I ever had as a kid, and I had a total blast with it. I have no idea what we ever did with the thing, but I've gradually been buying what I find for it (Lately I just picked up 9 cartridges for $2), and have pretty much a whole system now. Unfortunately, I think the TV adaptor I have (Which is non-standard) doesn't work properly, so I pretty much can't play this thing yet.

Does anyone have any good VIC-20 links? I wouldn't mind finding out what's rare and what's not for this machine. I don't plan on collecting it the way I do Atari, but I'd at least like to be able to spot a rare game when I find one.

--Zero

Ze_ro,

Glad to see that someone else likes the VIC-20. I went to a computer show, bought a boxed one (working) with all attachments and the manual. Didn't come with any games, but I went to another table where they were selling Commodore stuff. They gave me a box loaded with games & manuals (I sold some of this stuff on ebay, kept the good games). The boxed system is one of the prizes of my collection. As for any links, I haven't seen anything like AtariAge, mostly just C=64 stuff.

P.S.-Have you played "Super Mario Bros." for the C=64, I've been looking for it for awhile.

I had seen a copy at a computer show (held at the same place I got my VIC-20 but about a year earlier). It was set up so you could stand there and play it. I stood there and goofed around on it until some guy bought the joystick. I have been looking for it, but can't get the emulator to work. Do you have a copy? I'm really only looking for screenshots, if you have any links that would be great.

I dunno...Vice is pretty goof-proof. Just unzip the emulator using the -d option in pkunzip (check the "use folder names" box with WinZip). This will create all the folders needed for the various platforms. Then run xvic.exe from the main folder. Playing Raid On Fort Knox again sure was a hoot (the first "computer" program I actually bought).

Vice homepage

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

this is the only vic-20 link i know of, its not very memorable, just game files mostly, although it has a rarity guide for carts and tapes, but nowhere near the content of atariage

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for... turns out one of the games I got in the $2 bundled was rated as an 8!

--Zero

VIC-20?! I *LOVE* the VIC-20!!!

The VIC-20's got some surprisingly good games considering the system's limitations. They usually play as well or better than their 2600 counterparts, and they're sometimes even better than related ColecoVision games. For instance, Gorf and Omega Race are tons better on the 2600 than they were on the ColecoVision.

If you're going to start collecting VIC-20 games, you may want to use Cartzilla (on the VIC-20 page hosted by Classicgaming) as a reference. It's enormous and describes both the rarity and quality of each game. Ward Shrake did a tremendous job with it.

Speaking of VIC-20 collectors and fans, there used to be a guy named Jeffrey Daniels who did a newsletter, sort of the VIC-20 equivalent of the 2600 Connection. The sad thing is that he stopped publishing it several years ago, and has yet to resurrect it as a web site. I'd like to bring it back in electronic form, but I'd need Jeff's permission to do it. Maybe Russ Perry could get in touch with him for me, since he lives nearby and has met him once.

JR

The Vic-20 is also a personal favorite of mine. I never personally owned one, but I did borrow one from a friend for probably six months after he upgraded to a Commodore 64. It's probably the first machine I did any extensive programming on. I had a blast typing in programs from magazines, which were typically pretty small due to the Vic's very limited memory footprint.

After saving up some cash I was finally able to replace the Vic-20 with an Atari 800XL, which was a big step up from the Vic. But there'll always be a special place in my heart for the Vic-20.

As someone already pointed out, Ward Shrake's Vic-20 Digital Archaelogy page is a site to visit if you have any interest in the Vic-20.

..Al