IGNORED

Two Activision prototypes down the drain

MegaManFan

I was the winning bidder for more than a week on these two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEDW:IT

Now I'm really boggled that two users with ratings under 10 would bid this up over $250 (my limit was $150, they are known games and probably not different from the final versions) so either they are two stupid sh#%s who got in a bidding war or these are mult accounts for some other more well known proto collectors (but not two that I recognize).

Im not real familiar with prototype stuff but I hope to own at least one someday.But do the eventually die or something?Like the program erases of the eprom or something like that? :?  :?

It's always possible, but in my experience pretty unlikely. I've seen prototypes that haven't been shielded inside a cart and even without labels over the EPROM windows they still can be read fine after 25 years. Obviously it's a good idea to dump the prototype just in case, but odds are pretty good that if you get your hands on a prototype you'll be able to read it.

..Al

Im not real familiar with prototype stuff but I hope to own at least one someday.But do the eventually die or something?Like the program erases of the eprom or something like that? :?  :?

but odds are pretty good that if you get your hands on a prototype you'll be able to read it.

..Al

Unless you happened to buy it from a certain dealer in Vegas that decides to take it apart to just look at it, and then put it back together bending the pins in the process. :ponder:

I think I read that when these EPROMS were made, they were specified to hold their program for at least 20 years. Personally, I haven't had any die on me...

I think I read that when these EPROMS were made, they were specified to hold their program for at least 20 years. Personally, I haven't had any die on me...

I've never had an EPROM die on me. I've had one where the board had traces cut (so I assumed it was a dead EPROM until I took a closer look) and one where the pin was broken (you all know that story). However I've never had a proto where the eprom had bit rot, and I've handled ALOT of protos over the years.

Tempest

I've never had an EPROM die on me.  I've had one where the board had traces cut (so I assumed it was a dead EPROM until I took a closer look) and one where the pin was broken (you all know that story).  However I've never had a proto where the eprom had bit rot, and I've handled ALOT of protos over the years.

At the moment I'm trying to fix a Mission Survive cart but the Video Gems people used a particularly unusual type of EEPROM (a 2332 IIRC) so I can't find a way - yet - of reburning the data. I think I'm going to have to use a compatible 2532 or something. The cart itself shows every sign of bit rot, though - the EPROM looks fine, the connections are fine, but it consistently does the wrong thing.

Maybe the EPROMs used by Atari bods are a better quality than the EEPROMs used by small volume publishers?