IGNORED

New 5200 Controllers ??Possible??

pmpddytim

A bit of MAYBE KINDA POSSIBLE SPECULATION:

When I went to OKGE this year I tried out some wireless NES/SNES controllers by a company named "Messiah". I was very impressed with the quality of these controllers and have preordered some of them.

Anyways I thought it would be cool if they made some of these babies for the 5200. I mean come on, reliable wireless 5200 controllers, those things would sell like hot cakes AND improve 5200 gaming. So I wrote the company and asked if it were possible. Here is what they replied:

Well as for coming up projects, we are playing it by ear a little bit.  

We

are doing NES and SNES first and waiting to see if its popular. As long  

as

it goes well we will continue to do more retro stuff. We do have Atari  

in mind but we don't know for sure at this point. I'm sorry I don't  

have a

more definite answer right now. Thank you for your feedback and  

support.

I think we should either get a petition going or start an e-mail campaign asking for new 5200 controllers. I think its a great opportunity for us all to finally get good 5200 controllers at a reasonable price (they sell their NES/SNES ones for 49.99 for two) without having to hunt down and spend a fortune on Wico sticks.

-Tim

What kind of prices are we looking at on their controllers, though? I already dropped a good $60 on two Wico sticks (believe it or not, a deal, since often they reach well beyond $40 or even $50) and they'd have to offer some spectacular usage to get my dollar.

What kind of prices are we looking at on their controllers, though?  I already dropped a good $60 on two Wico sticks (believe it or not, a deal, since often they reach well beyond $40 or even $50) and they'd have to offer some spectacular usage to get my dollar.

Well they are selling a set of two Wireless NES pads that come in a metal lunch box for $49.99 so I would hope the price would be in that ball park. They also claim that the NES pads get 40hrs of play on one set of AAAs. I'll write up a full review when I actually get my NES set and play with'em for a while.

If you look at the web site it says that they are working on 2600 sticks and Genny pads so perhaps 5200 controllers isn't out of the question.

Heres the contact info:

http://www.playmessiah.com/

Contact Us

SPRING ARTS TOWER

453 S. SPRING ST. SUITE 618

LOS ANGELES, CA 90013

CONTACTUS@PLAYMESSIAH.COM

PHONE 213.596.6963

FAX 213.402.8446

Just looked...

What the HELL sort of rip-off site sells "special" AV cables for an NES?

And the touch-sensitive buttons are a Bad Idea.

Any button that can't be felt is a bad button.

I think I'll stick with a nice, standard 5200 stick. Yes, I said nice.

I got a reply but it had this on it so I guess I can't post it.

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

(I ment to preview...)

They replied within 24 hrs anf it was a personally written reply, basicly they are using the NES and SNES as a test market, they have just finnished setting up for the 2600 controlls, and as long as they do just beter then even they will expand thier line of product.

They replied to me too and said basically the same thing.

I was amazed that I got a personal response. Nice.

She told me that their next step after SNES and NES would be Atari 2600.

They have the design work done for the 2600 joysticks and are just waiting to see how well their SNES and NES sell before moving to atari.

They also said the molds for a 5200 controller are very expensive so they would have to at least wait until they broke even before moving on to this project.

She also said they have gotten a large response lately on the 5200 :D

She closed by saying something to the effect that if the SNES and NES do well they will continue making lots of different controllers for old systems.

She also said they have gotten a large response lately on the 5200  :D  

Thats right people we too can make a difference. :)

I was also impressed that I got a personal response. Who knows it this may be one of the rare companies that actually listens to thier customers.

Keep sendin' those e-mails and letters folks, it can't do any harm.

-Tim

Just looked...

What the HELL sort of rip-off site sells "special" AV cables for an NES?

It's not much of a rip-off... RCA cables with a splitter for L/R audio built in. For $8, that's not too terrible.

An unneeded splitter. Just L=mono audio.

And there's no length listed. A 6-foot 2-wire cable at Radio Shack costs 6.70. I'm gonna ASSUME that's about the length of the "special" wire.

Messiah is a really cool company. One of their engineers came over to the Packrat booth at CGE and talked to me for quite a while. He was very interested in what I had to say and even gave me the card of the President of the company so that I could contact him with further input later on.

Best,

Jarett

Is this "she" the one from the cge photo threads? You know, the hot chick with the mesh trucker emo punk Atari hat, turned sideways.

Id' buy a new 5200 stick for sure, maybe a 2600 version as well. I don't know though on alot of games, the gameplay can be so short, you'd constantly be near the system flipping switches. I really like the way some games can be automatically restarted with the fire button, I'm referring to 2600 stuff which seems their next project.