IGNORED

2600 Voice Commander.

ATARIPITBULL

Just the other day I opened up one of my five sealed copy's of Battlezone and it came with the 1983 Atari video game cataloge, (The one that says your ticket to the Atari stars), and on the inside it has pictures of all the controllers that were made for the 2600, but there was also a drawing of a 2600 voice commander that says you can use your voice to controll the game. Was the Voice commander ever made, and if so were can I see a picture of it.

For those who are curious and don't have the catalog handy, we have a scan of it online here. The specific page with the Voice Commander is right here. There's a picture of the base unit on Atari Gaming Headquarters here. The Voice Commander was never released. According to the Atari 5200 FAQ,

"Milton Bradley and Atari were jointly associated with this speech synthesis/recognition device, where Milton Bradley was to develop the add-on while Atari was responsible for developing games for it. However, Atari canned the idea shortly thereafter. A module for the 2600 was also planned, but it too was axed before development went too far. Milton Bradley later sued Atari for breach of contract."

..Al

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

It seems to me that Texas Instruments did come out with a voice controler. The one game I remember that it was used with was baseball. Youd say "first" into the mike and the ball would be thrown to 1st base. The one drawback???... It would give electric shocks to the people wearing it. WooHoo!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Jess Ragan:

You guys remember the cartoon Tiny Toon Adventures?

"ET faw down the hole..."

JR

Hey, I remember that one! Where the baby Plucky Duck was playing with the toliet? Oh man, my brother and laughed forever when we first watched that particular episode.