IGNORED

Tutankham for Videopac

ccc---

Wow! Great review! Thanks for posting this. I had posted some news about this a few weeks ago, but all I had was the one screenshot. It looks very impressive, much better than the 2600 version (although I still love that one to death). Why is it that the PB O2 games look better than their 2600 counterparts?

Tempest

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :D

Well, I think that most Parker games for the 2600 have, hmm, "chaotic" graphics. Hmm, the word "chaotic" is too hard, but, like in Tutankham, the graphics, the colors are not very "clear". The Videopac version uses the maze graphics that are stored within the ROM. This makes the Videopac games graphically very limited in the possibilities, as you get very "blocky" graphics, but on the other hand, if you use them right - and the creatores of Tutankham DID use them right - you get very clear graphics. I like that.

I mean, the 2600 has way more possibilities/capabilities in graphics, many games would probably be not possible on the Videopac, but some are great - like Tut.

I wonder which games we would have seen, if development on the Videopac would have continued 2 or 3 years more ...

So far we know at least that the one or other Parker game WAS also in development for the Videopac system. Unfortunately no prototypes have appeared so far.

And it's really a big shame that Tutankham wasn't released back then.

Why is it that the PB O2 games look better than their 2600 counterparts?

Tell me you ment except Popeye. ;)

Wow that is a huge maze!

Very cool!

BTW, Was the game Nightmare released here in the US?

I dont recognize that one.

Thanks for sharing the link to your site. I will add it to my favorites lists.

BTW, Was the game Nightmare released here in the US?

I dont recognize that one.

Thanks for sharing the link to your site. I will add it to my favorites lists.

No, nightmare was not released in the US. I don't know why. In Europe it was released at about the same time as Killer Bees, maybe it came too late for the US market, as the big crash was already there. You can play it on the emu, or I have even a complete boxed Nightmare on my sell/trade list ;)

Thanks for the kind words and for the link! :)

OutSTANDING.

Dieter, if you guys want to do a cart release, get with me about artwork - I've already been dreaming some up ever since this proto was found.   ;)  

Wow, that cover looks great!!! Well, if we should release it on cart some day (and I want to do that!), we would release it in a Parker box probably, with artwork that fits to the other Parker games for the Videopac system. But we could of course also think of a US release with your cover. :)

@ Dieter - you know where to find me if you're up for a US release. :D

@ Matt - there is MUCH Videopac goodness to be found out there. Have you played any of the other Parker games on a real console? There's a company that was taking 3rd party O2/'Pac support seriously. If you make it to the next OKGE or happen to visit my neck of the woods, come see me - I've always got the Parker games with me to show off, because they are that good. Tragic that they didn't get released here.

And tragic that they didn't release Tutankham at all - it's a damned nifty game, even in emulation.

Have you played any of the other Parker games on a real console? There's a company that was taking 3rd party O2/'Pac support seriously.

Yep. I have Frogger and Q*Bert (wish I had Popeye). Frogger doesn't work on my US console, but Q*Bert does and it's really good. Shame all the US game releases sucked...

So how do you play your Videopac games? Do you have a 7400 or just use your regular US O2? I wish I could get my hands on an O3, but when they come up they're expensive (prototype hardware always is).

Tempest

Have you played any of the other Parker games on a real console? There's a company that was taking 3rd party O2/'Pac support seriously.

Yep. I have Frogger and Q*Bert (wish I had Popeye). Frogger doesn't work on my US console, but Q*Bert does and it's really good. Shame all the US game releases sucked...

Tempest

You, sir, need to play more Timelord ;)

Shame all the US game releases sucked...

I'd wrestle with you over that comment, but I've evangelized the O2 long enough to know it's not everyone's cup of tea. :D

So how do you play your Videopac games?  Do you have a 7400 or just use your regular US O2?

I have two regular, detachable-controller O2s. Some of the Euro games work fine on US hardware, while some, like Frogger, are a total loss - but that's where the Brazilian releases some in handy; they're coded for the PAL-M video standard, which is close enough to NTSC for government work, hence I'm able to play my Frogger and Popeye carts. I dearly, dearly hope that Tutankham is one of those games capable of making the jump to US hardware without a problem.

Oh, and yeah, do give Attack of the Time Lord another shot. And if you think Killer Bees is irredeemable, ask anyone who played it with the O2 trackball at OKGE. ;)

This makes me want to start getting my VideoPac collection going.  I have a complete US O2 collection (minus Power Lords), but only a handfull of VideoPac games.  Lots of neat stuff overseas...

Tempest

Take a look at my sell/trade list, there are over 40 of the apprx. 60 released Euro games on it. I am sure we can work out something ;)

I have two regular, detachable-controller O2s.  Some of the Euro games work fine on US hardware, while some, like Frogger, are a total loss - but that's where the Brazilian releases some in handy; they're coded for the PAL-M video standard, which is close enough to NTSC for government work, hence I'm able to play my Frogger and Popeye carts.  I dearly, dearly hope that Tutankham is one of those games capable of making the jump to US hardware without a problem.

Oh, and yeah, do give Attack of the Time Lord another shot.  And if you think Killer Bees is irredeemable, ask anyone who played it with the O2 trackball at OKGE.   ;)

It is really a shame that Frogger won't work on O2 machines, it's imo one of the very best Videopac games. But it's great that the Brazilian Frogger release can help out you guys :) ... it's even better, because the frog in the title screen twinkles! The frog in the Euro version doesn't ... :D

Before we release Tutankham on cart we will check if it will work on O2 machines. I know a guy in The Netherlands who is VERY good in Videopac technics, if it should not run I will ask him to look if he can patch it ;)

Killer Bees with a trackball, now THAT is something I'd like to try too. Too sad that those trackballs are so ultra-rare, I would REALLY love to own one! :sad: Would noone finde a warehouse with hundreds of Videopac Trackballs in it? :D

Too cool ccc ;)  How come I don't see you on irc much anymore by the way? :)

Those Tutankham pages took all my time in the last weeks, heh ;) :D

Nah, honestly, was pretty busy with my job, and IF I start IRCing again, I know that it's gonna take VERY much time. Nevertheless I plan to be there a bit more in winter. :)

Actually I was being too harsh, I enjoy several US O2 games like KC Munchkin, Smithereens, Turtles, and Freedom Fighters.  It's just the majority of them are bad.

You are right, MANY of them suck, even in my opinion, and I am an extrem Videopac freak since Christmas 1982 :D

My favorites are Stone Sling (Smithereens), Munchkin, Quest For The Rings, Pickaxe Pete, Turtles, Atlantis, and all of the five Parker games, especially Frogger and, of course, Tutankham. :D

But it's great that the Brazilian Frogger release can help out you guys  :) ... it's even better, because the frog in the title screen twinkles! The frog in the Euro version doesn't ... :D

Really? You're kidding! I didn't know that. I had never played the Euro Frogger in emulation.

Before we release Tutankham on cart we will check if it will work on O2 machines.

I'd volunteer to be the North American O2 guinea pig for this experiment. :lolblue:

Too sad that those trackballs are so ultra-rare, I would REALLY love to own one!  :sad: Would noone finde a warehouse with hundreds of Videopac Trackballs in it?  :D

That's the thing that just bugs the heck out of me when it comes to the Wico Trackball for this system. Two of the three known specimens are boxed! Who would make a box - with foil (shiny) printing on it, no less - for a piece of prototype hardware? I'm happy to own one of the three, but that box drives me crazy - there simply must be more of them out there. Unless there was a stockpile that was ordered destroyed, or converted to the control pinouts of another system. :o Like the TI 99/4A Wico trackball, the O2 model requires an AC adapter, so it's possible that with the plunge of the U.S. games industry and the rise of the personal computer market, the O2 trackballs were converted into TI trackballs. Matt, do you have any former Wico contacts who could help us figure this out?

I'll have an extensive report on the trakball on my site soon, and even a game-by-game report of what it's like with every title in the US O2 library and some Videopac games as well (here's a preview: it's not good for Q*Bert. :lol: ), but in the meantime, here are a couple of pics. :D

bixfront.jpgphoto4.jpg

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I'll bet the ball wouldn't do much good for Tutankham either - unless one's going for a game of Tipsy Tutankham. :D

Frogger: It's true, I found out by chance just yesterday. I sorted all my O2 BIN files new in the emu, and of course I ended up playing some of them, heh. I accidently started the Brazil version of Frogger, I noticed it because it writes something different instead of "Hi Score", and watching this, I noticed that the frog in the title screen twinkles! I thought "dammit I played Frogger so often but never noticed that". So I started the Euro version, and that unfriendly frog does NOT twinkle! :D

Trackballs: I was wondering too, since the first one of them has been discovered - it was complete in box, but only THREE have been found? That doesn't fit together. Would be fantastic if Matt had any contacts that could bring a little light in that thing.

On the other hand: It is very funny that they released a trackball for the O2, when there was not a single trackball game. I mean, I bet that there are some games that are nice to play with the trackball, but WHY did they release a trackball for the O2? Maybe they had any information, that a few trackball games are in development??? :love: We haven't found any so far, but who knows ...???

Trackballs: I was wondering too, since the first one of them has been discovered - it was complete in box, but only THREE have been found? That doesn't fit together. Would be fantastic if Matt had any contacts that could bring a little light in that thing.  

Yeah I always wondered what was going on with these. The O2 has no track-ball games, and wasn't exactly a smash hit in the US. Why would Wico bother developing a track-ball for it? Just doesn't seem to make sense. And why the heck does it require a power supply?

Tempest

The O2 has no track-ball games, and wasn't exactly a smash hit in the US.  Why would Wico bother developing a track-ball for it?

I guess this was the kind of boom-before-the-bust optimism that saw some companies overreach themselves and lose it all in the crash. Sorta like Atari making more copies of a single VCS title than there were VCS consoles sold! Trackball for the O2? No problem. :D And as much of an underdog as it was, I doubt seriously that Magnavox or NAP would've had any problem with someone doing third-party anything for the O2 - anything to help raise its visibility.

The good thing about the O2 ball, though, is that it brings some games to life again. UFO and Cosmic Conflict, to name a couple. UFO + the trackball was a fairly popular combination at OKGE, actually.

And why the heck does it require a power supply?

Not enough juice in the standard O2/'pac I/O connection to power the sensors that read the three wheels inside the controller, I imagine.