IGNORED

atari 2600 controllers

finguz

hey .... i recently made a discovery that im sure all of you guys probly made a long time ago lol .... the sega genesis controller fits into a atari 2600 joystick slot on the system, and the atari 2600 joystick fits into the genesis controller slot! does this mean that you can use the genesis controller on the atari 2600? if not, do they make an atari 2600 'controller' other than the joystick or paddles, ya kno like a regular controller like nes, genesis, snes, n64, playstation, etc etc...... thanx! - matt

quote:

Originally posted by finguz:

if not, do they make an atari 2600 'controller' other than the joystick or paddles, ya kno like a regular controller like nes, genesis, snes, n64, playstation, etc etc......

A “regular” controller? Joysticks and paddles are regular controllers. Atari defined regular controllers.

In Europe Atari distributed a joypad (CX78) which resembles the NES directional pad. I'm not aware of its ever having been marketed as a 2600 controller per se (it was bundled with the 7800 there), but it is compatible.

quote:

Originally posted by The Night Phantom:

A regular controller? Joysticks and paddles [qb]are
regular controllers. Atari
defined
regular controllers. [/QB]

That's exactly what I thought when I first read this post... I never liked pads myself, I found they were more likely to hurt my hands than anything the Atari had to offer (except maybe Decathlon). All this new-fangled analog stick crap annoys me. Remember when we didn't like this kind of stuff with the 5200? Well, okay, so now it self centers at least....

Not to mention that such hi-tech controls are costing an arm and a leg. I had a hard time finding a Dreamcast controller for any less than $20! I used to get Slik Sticks for the Atari and C64 for $6 each!

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

Anyone need any new sticks. I've got Gemini Gemsticks they look just like the original atari controller.

Is that the one with really big yellow fire button? If so, they aren't made by Coleco or even made for Gemini. It's a generic 3rd party replacement controller. They aren't too popular because of quality issue.

I've got them Brand Spanking new in the box.  I bought them in bulk from Canada.  They are really nice sticks.

You must have a good batch. I found almost any other 2600 compatible sticks to work better than all of the Gemsticks I have. Yes I even got a few brand new Gemsticks when they were available at one local store for $1.99 each.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: wi1ykat ]

Joel D. Park

quote:

Anyone need any new sticks. I've got Gemini Gemsticks they look just like the original atari controller.

I've got them Brand Spanking new in the box. I bought them in bulk from Canada. They are really nice sticks.

I may be interested, are you selling or trading them?