IGNORED

Circus Atari ends up being a blast!

StanJr

I was looking for some good two-player games for my girlfriend and myself (and seeing as to how I only have one working joystick I was limited to paddle games) and I picked up Warlords (of course) but I also grabbed Circus Atari. I wasn't really expecting much from this game (the screenshots weren't impressive), but hey, its the circus.

ANYWAY. After playing it a few times I soon discovered that this game is a blast! It gets really addictive and is a challenge from the very start! And to think, it only set me back $1.95.

Atari just keeps on surprising me!

Circus Stan

yeah, it was one of the first games I got on the Atari. Superb isn't it. Oddly enough, I also have a version of it for Dreamcast (a homegrown effort by all accounts). VCS one is better tho (paddle controllers rule)

Circus Atari, a.k.a. just plain Circus when sold by Sears, is a genuine treasure. It seems to be based on the Exidy coin-op Circus, but the 2600 version's manual does not reveal the copyright/trademark acknowledgement one would expect in such a case. What's the story here? Is Circus Atari licensed? Is it a ripoff? Did Exidy and Atari go to court?

quote:

Originally posted by Sephie:

Who needs an XBOX?

I definetly do not. Once the system gets old and obsolete, has a lot of games, and the system is hard to kill like an Atari.. I might then concider picking one up at a thrift store

But I imagine the games will be few, the games are 100% graphics and no real play or replay value, and the older it gets the more problems it gets (laser readers etc.) so I highly doubt I will ever own one.

Besides who wants to play it when they have an Atari?

Junie

There were a couple games in that genre in the arcades, neither of which were Atari, though  

Yeah I remember playing it in a local skating rink. It's funny as when I later got Circus as one of my first games for my Sears console, I just kind of assumed: "oh here's that clown balloon game from the skating rink" and just kind of blindly assumed it was the exact same game.

Atari's liberal use of arcade games ideas at the time (like Dodge Em, and Outlaw, Maze Craze etc.) served them well for kids like me who lapped up that arcade goodness at every chance. However today I'd imagine it'd be known as "ripping off" as I doubt they paid any licensing fees.

Aahh times were different back then