IGNORED

8K Berzerk!

Fellow Atari Man

No, I'll say first off I haven't done one--sorry--but with doing such a good job on the 2600 version as it is with only 4K, wouldn't an extra 4K ROCK?! What with it being this week's high score challenge, it's made me do a bit of thinking about it...

I'm not a programmer, so maybe some of these things couldn't be implemented anyway, but possibly more than one robot at a time could shoot, there could be several more mazes, or maybe even the sprites could be smaller so you could get bigger mazes like the arcade (I know some games just flat-out can't be done, like the occasional post about why it'd be very difficult to get the first level of Donkey Kong to look more like the arcade original), rather than the smaller, somewhat claustrophobic ones you get here in this version, and/or maybe get the robots to fire diagionally.

Any takers? :)

Honestly, except for possibly diagonal firing by the robots, I don't know what else there would be to add to the game above the excellent voice additions that Mike Mika has already done.

I think there was a sequel to Berzerk called Frenzy or something(?) I have never played the game myself, but perhaps an 8k edition could be hacked/expanded as the sequel.

Either way, it'd take a dedicated programmer and great fan of the game to care enough to pull it off.

Cheers to those great hackers/homebrewers who make my life worth living. I'd buy a round of beers, but sadly we're not all together... and I'm broke. :-P

I think there was a sequel to Berzerk called Frenzy or something(?)

Yes, Frenzy was an excellent sequel: mazes contained walls that would rebound bullets, others could be shot through to make your own exit!

Evil Otto could be shot, too, with three hits...but then he'd come back even faster. More robots could appear as well (up to 25; think the original arcade only allowed 12 max).

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think the programmer wimped out by not providing diagonal shots for the robots. Even the player's diagnol shots are kinda lamely implemented. the angle seems less than 30 degrees above horizontal rather than the arcade 45 degrees.

There is no reason why more than 4K is needed for the robots to shoot diagonally. You simply move the missle object both vertically and horizontally rather than just one way. The program supports vertical and horizontal, so vertical + horizontal is not a big change. In fact it may be a relatively simple functional hack. I may have to take a look at that.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

How about making a Berzerk Adventure. An 8k version would allow alot to be added. I like games with a definite ending, so maybe have an overall goal to complete the game.

Power-Ups/Pickups

----------------------

Shield Item

Extra Life

Rapid Fire

Invisibility (Robots don't sense you)

Extra Rooms

---------------

a bigger variety of rooms

Enemies

----------

Different types of enemy robots

I can't do it, So I'm just throwing it out there.

4k of extra romspace is pretty much irrelivant if the program has no way of keeping track of those additions (requiring the use of the 2600's paltry 128 bytes of ram). I never looked to see how much of that was left over, but I suppose that some could be reclaimed by using redundant routines instead of subroutines (saving 2 bytes per nest taken by the stack) and/or combining variables that do not require 8 bits to hold their values. The game also uses an "attract mode" to hold the color values, so ram might have been wasted there.

Wouldn't want to make them shoot -too- intelligently ;)  The arcade game only lets them shoot if the player is lined up straight or diagonally...and that is sufficient.

The shooting AI is no big problem.

But how will they move? Should they try to get a vertical or horizontal identical position (like now), or should they go for a diagonal position?

Wouldn't want to make them shoot -too- intelligently ;)  The arcade game only lets them shoot if the player is lined up straight or diagonally...and that is sufficient.

The shooting AI is no big problem.

But how will they move? Should they try to get a vertical or horizontal identical position (like now), or should they go for a diagonal position?

According to the arcade, they try to reach a straight position by walking...and just shoot diagonally when that opportunity presents itself (which makes sense, since they cannot walk diagonally).

According to the arcade, they try to reach a straight position by walking...and just shoot diagonally when that opportunity presents itself (which makes sense, since they cannot walk diagonally).

Ok, that makes it a lot easier now since you only have to add a simple check to the shooting AI.

The idea is just to remove the main edge that the player has over them (i.e. you are allowed diagonal shots while they are not). The moving AI would still remain the same (which is already slightly handicapped, because they are all limited to seperate scanlines). Another question would be should they opt for straight shots first...and check diagonal only when no straight shots are possible for any robot?

Another question would be should they opt for straight shots first...and check diagonal only when no straight shots are possible for any robot?

IMO that could be based on the distance to the player (with some randomness to make the game less predictable). So, if a diagonal shot is closer, then it should be chosen.

There is no reason why more than 4K is needed for the robots to shoot diagonally.

You're right, the diagonal hack I'm working on is doing it in 4K with ROM to spare.

I don't consider myself a hacker (I guess). I started disassembling the game and saw that it would be fairly simple to add the diagnonal firing so I experimented and got it working fairly quickly.

Maybe they (atari) did try to have diagonal shooting enemies, and it didn't play well. :ponder:   I couldn't see them NOT trying to port the arcade faithfully.

It does look like they originally planned to have the robots fire diagonally. The code is in there (to a certain extent). There would have to be some tweaks to the initial robot firing table. I don't know why they didn't go that route. You are right in the fact that a smaller playfield makes it a bit harder. I guess you'll just have to fire at the robots that block your path first.

It does look like they originally planned to have the robots fire diagonally. The code is in there (to a certain extent). There would have to be some tweaks to the initial robot firing table. I don't know why they didn't go that route.

If I had to guess, the programmer was probably under pressure to get the game done so it could be shipped. Not unlike what happens today with game developers and publishers. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...