IGNORED

Loving ActRaiser

figgler

I do this all the time – buy a game based on it’s reputation because I heard it was good, stuff it in (alphabetically) with the collection and then don’t touch it. Once in a blue moon I’ll dig out one of these gems and wonder what the hell took me so long to discover its greatness.

The newest in this lineage is ActRaiser which I never owned all those years ago and actually hadn’t ever played until Saturday when I dumped 3 non-stop hours into it. I must say this title is plenty fun. I love the balance of action and sim. Just as simming is starting to get to be a little much, it’s time to kick some ass in a sidescroller and vice versa. For a launch title too, I can’t say enough about the coolness of the graphics.

So far I’m on the 4th town. I had to abandon the 3rd, Kasandora because of a plague. Not sure if that’s supposed to happen or if maybe I triggered something. Nontheless, I’m hoping the citizens in the next town will develop a cure I can share. Can’t wait to get a few more free hours to find out..

I bought ActRaiser when it was first released back in 1991 and have loved the game to this day. I've lost count at just how many times I finished it...both in normal and professional (action scenes only) modes.

Never has a sim game and action game been blended together so perfectly. Great graphics, imaginative background, and a cool premise add up to instant classic status. I mean, you played the part of a god and actually travelled down to earth to help your followers when the need arose! None of the elements were deemed fruity and the action was violent and precise, as we expected back then. It's really too bad the sequel sucked so badly. It's also a tradgedy that these types of games no longer exist.

There's nothing more for me to see and you can only repeat an experience a couple dozen times

I say the same thing about all those retro gaming collections that seem to be flooding the market these days. Missile Command and Tempest were fun, but christ, enough already!

Oh yes, that also applies to the Nintendo's NES re-releases on GBA format. Dear god, no more!

There's nothing more for me to see and you can only repeat an experience a couple dozen times

I say the same thing about all those retro gaming collections that seem to be flooding the market these days. Missile Command and Tempest were fun, but christ, enough already!

Actually no it doesn't. Missile Command and Tempest are scoring contests. Get ultra good at them (ever make it to the invisible level in Tempest?) and then it becomes a matter of endurance. They're fast reflex games. They're also dedicated arcade games.. one with a fat trackball and the other with a beautiful vector monitor and weighted spinner. (of course, home ports don't count) :D . They are far different beasts from an SNES console game with an end. :)

Actraiser.. once you know how to max out your towns and master the action sequences.. that's it! You can play it again, but it ends soon enough.

Actraiser is like reading the same short story over and over. Missile Command and Tempest are like seeing how many times you can shoot a basketball through a hoop in a row (or something like that) :P

And by the way.. let me just clarify. Actraiser is one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Oh yes, that also applies to the Nintendo's NES re-releases on GBA format.  Dear god, no more!

You know it's funny you mention that! I was out with my buddies over the weekend and I was talking with one Xbox developer I know from MS and over beers we were talking about game collecting. I was saying how I don't really collect but I have a large library of old consoles from my youth, etc. Then he told his story of how he went and acquired all the U.S. NES GBA releases and has them all boxed. All I could say to him was "why?" :lol: I then went on to tell him about Flashcarts and blah blah blah. Anyway thought that was funny and oddly related since you dig Xbox and all :P

seeing how there are only five of those at the moment, its really no big deal.  what i think is funny, is you talking about a forbidden fruit like flash carts with an industry guy.  isnt piracy supposed to be keeping food off of his table?

"forbidden fruit"? Nah give me a break :lol:. Of course everyone knows these things exist. There's nothing wrong about talking about them. We were just talking about the technology and that there are emulators that can be run on them. I mean.. it's just the facts :P He wasn't aware of NES emulator ports and I told him of it's advantages (multiple games on one gba image) and shortcomings (speed/sound in some particular games). 'Course I never specifically said I HAD one nor was encouraging him to purchase one. It was simply yapping it up. I think my friend Paul then said how he just got an Xbox and if he 'could get Halo'. And it moved on from there.

You gotta realize they're just guys like you and me and are not successful not because they're dipshits. Like you and me, they're smart enough not to get hung up on casual conversation especially while hanging out with buddies at a bar. :P

Then he told his story of how he went and acquired all the U.S. NES GBA releases and has them all boxed. All I could say to him was "why?"

What an idiot (and a waste of money)! I hope Bill Gates fires his ass!

Man what's up with you today? You're in such a nasty mood :P

What an idiot (and a waste of money)!  I hope Bill Gates fires his ass!

Man what's up with you today? You're in such a nasty mood :P

You know.....That time of month.

Shhhhh

Yer right figgler, ActRaiser rules!

I can remember playing through that game a couple times as a kid.

They also made a part 2... But it seems to me it was minus the sim aspect of the first game (Or maybe I didnt play long enough) Had sweet graphics though.

I remember seeing ActRaiser on Nick Arcade a few months ago and looked fun. Always love watching that show because the host has a lot of weird colored 80s style shirts and its funny because EVERY single time a kid goes up to the arcade machine he always ALWAYS has to turn them to the camera to tell them the rules and its funny because they are always like "What the ****!? Get your hands off me I wanna play the game!!" Good times....

Hey I remember this tip: In order to increase your god powers, you need to have more people worshipping you. However, once the citires are built the birth rate declines rapidly. In order to maximize the population of a city, destroy their cities with earthquakes then tell them to rebuild. This will make them build bigger, better houses and you'll increase the population.

Actraiser is one of the defining moments of the 16-bit era. One of THE most fun, involving games I have ever played, and it quite possibly has some of the best music heard in a cart based game (thanks to Yuzo Koshiro, the GOD of gaming music). It's one of those games I can fire up either in an emulator or cartridge form and just have fun with. Even after beating it, I just had to go back through it and see if I missed anything, or try to get through a stage quicker, or something!

I remember ActRaiser as being the first game we ever rented for our Super Nintendo. We got that one because it was the only game left. It turned out to be one of my favorate games ever. I still don't get why nobody had rented it. People just don't have good taste.

Back at it tonight. Cured that plague in Kasandora, caused a few earth quakes for kicks and all is well in the world now. Tonight it's off to Northwall which is looking to be the last town. Things sure do get a lot easier if you take the time to level up and employ the falling star spell. That spell is crazy, all most too much. No boss has stood a chance against me since the villagers found it for me.