IGNORED

5200 video mod and rf shield

RangerG

I finished the 8-bit domain 5200 video mod (I have had it forever and just now got around to it). I followed the pictures and the way Mr. Retrogamer suggested from an earlier post. My tv just has one video and one audio, but it works great! One question: do I need to put the rf shield back on or can I store/get rid of it? I don't see a reason to put it back on.

Thanks for the replies,

RG

I finished the 8-bit domain 5200 video mod (I have had it forever and just now got around to it). I followed the pictures and the way Mr. Retrogamer suggested from an earlier post. My tv just has one video and one audio, but it works great! One question: do I need to put the rf shield back on or can I store/get rid of it? I don't see a reason to put it back on.  

Thanks for the replies,

RG

That thing is a biotch to get on and off ain't it??

Sorry I dont have an answer for ya! I'm curious though what it might be. I would take a stab and say if the picture looks fine without it leave it off!

Then again I'm FAR form the person to give technical advice!

Yes - it is a pain to remove and one time a cut myself and actually bled on the 5200. Who said Atari work isn't tough :D. Another question I have is why the 5200 video mod still uses the rf connected to the television while the Doubledown Colecovision mod doesn't. Just interested if anyone knows. Flicker-free 5200 games - good stuff.

I must have both the audio and video as well as the the rf connected to my television or the 5200 won't work.  Is something wrong? I have a 2 port with a 4 port bios.

I think I removed the RF cable from my 5200 after I did the mod since it's no longer needed! Sounds like something is not completely right. Can you take a picture of how you wired it up and post it?

I took some pics. Something is wrong and I was tired last night. The grabber is currently on the 4th metal pin from the left and this is the only place it works and only with the rf also connected. I know it should be on the 3rd from the left, but this doesn't work and then the mod picture says pin 37 and this would be the 5th one from the left in that it connects to line 37R. I don't know, but thanks for looking at the pics and helping.

-RG

It looks to me like you completely disconnected the black wire.

I just removed the red and white audio cables from the molex connector, and replaced the purple and blue cables in their place. I also disconnected the mini audio jack at the black wire.

I'll have to take another look at exactly how I did it, and I wish I didn't resize these pics since you can't see the detail, but I think the black wire is the key here.

post-41-1097166216_thumb.jpg

post-41-1097166217_thumb.jpg

Fixed! I have been waiting to get home and redo the mod and I just did. I added the black wire and the connector loops attach to all three plugs. It works great and I left the rf shield and the rf cord totally out. It was working before but I needed the video and audio out and the rf all plugged in and if I wasn't grounding it then that was a problem.

Thanks for the help!