IGNORED

800XL 256K RAM upgrade

Mitch

On 12/31/2017 at 3:38 PM, Gunstar said:

I think the issue is still a lack of understanding with 48K, 64K base memories and extended memory. It's often exacerbated because extended memory software is often misleading in requirements, especially going by FAT16/32 file names descriptions, titles often say 256K, but really need a full 320K to run, and someone with a Rambo type upgrade thinks they've been cheated out of banks somehow.

I had to learn the hard way myself, asking questions on the forums because none of the extended memory tests were showing all 16 banks of base and extended, and the bank mirroring the bank under the OS always shows an error, etc. Or other tests assuming 64K base and then using a + after it, counting extended banks and comes back with 15 or 64K+240K...oh, so my 256K 1200XL has 304K?!?

What is needed is one good memory tester program that tests for all memory, main, under OS, and extended, and can tell which extended memory solution the computer is using, e.g. Rambo, XE, Wizztronics, or even 800's with Axlon memory!

Here is what I get from xram021, 15 banks showing of my 256K Rambo upgrade (with 64K base and 192K extended on 8x256 ram chips). I've been told xram021 does this because one bank is a mirror of memory under the OS and doesn't register with xram. But when I run the test, $83 gets an "e" for error, which I was also told was because that is the bank hidden under the OS. Now as far as I can tell, from loading up extended memory programs and demos, all 256K of my memory is working. TLW show 12 banks extended (+64K main), The only demo that uses 256K (192K xmem) 'Boogie nights' works, etc. Boogie nights actually shows my system being 320K, I assume it's counting all memory, as 256K exteneded and assuming another 64K...

post-149-0-02514700-1514735970_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-63255400-1514736495_thumb.jpg

Hi i get the same error with the same rambo board  in my 800xl does not matter where i move the ramchips to

anyone have any ideas

thanks mutt

4 minutes ago, Muttgutt said:

Hi i get the same error with the same rambo board  in my 800xl does not matter where i move the ramchips to

anyone have any ideas

thanks mutt

What rambo board are you using and where are you based?

Also what ram chips are you using. 

Some hi res images of the rqmbo board, chips and the wiring would help also :)

7 hours ago, Muttgutt said:

anyone have any ideas

thanks mutt

The 0.21 version of XRAM has an error when testing RAMBO XL. It has been updated. The version you need is 0.22 attached.

0.22.0 [22.04.2019] fix for 192kB RAMBO - incorrect detection of base 64K as extra 4 banks $83,$87,$8b,8f - thanks to Roman Fulek and his Atari with 192kB XRAM.

XRAM0220.zip

For more up to date testing checkout SimTest:-

• Thanks 1