IGNORED

Pitfall II+

CPUWIZ

Anyone seen this yet? I haven't had time to hook up my CC2 but this is supposedly a whole new game based on the PF2 engine.

Um... I didn't think Pitfall II worked with the Cuttle Cart 2... :ponder: :P

LOL, you're right, I forgot about that.

• 2 weeks later...
Could probably be done if you don't care about the music. :D

..Al

Well FORGET IT THEN! How could we live without the circus caliope music playing while we ride up on the magical balloon? LOL! :P

Actually, quite the opposite! If someone could hack the game to run on the CC2 without music, awesome! If they could hack it to magically use the onboard Pokey, even better. :P

Could probably be done if you don't care about the music. :D

The DPC chip does a lot of stuff other than the music. I don't think it can be done unless partial DPC emulation is added to the CCII.

Ahh, oh well, I was thinking it was just used for the music. What else does it do for Pitfall II?

..Al

Here is what someone was talking about in that old thread (not sure if it is true or not)

...you'd never be able to change any of the graphic colors or sprites. They're all encoded in the DPC. Essentially, you'd need to be a hardware wizard and create your own DPC clone out of a PIC or some sort of hardware. Lots of effort here.  

If there is ever a Cuttle Cart 3, which I will be the first to place an order, couldn't they add a socket for the Pitfall II chip like they added a socket for a Pokey in the Cuttle Cart II?

Sure, but where are you going to get a DPC chip from? As far as I know the only place you can find them is in a Pitfall 2 cartridge. Kind of defeats the purpose. :wink:

Mitch

If there is ever a Cuttle Cart 3, which I will be the first to place an order, couldn't they add a socket for the Pitfall II chip like they added a socket for a Pokey in the Cuttle Cart II?

Sure, but where are you going to get a DPC chip from? As far as I know the only place you can find them is in a Pitfall 2 cartridge. Kind of defeats the purpose. :wink:

Mitch

Agreed, it's not really worth it. It's cool enough that the Cuttle Cart 2 includes a socket for the POKEY, and at least the POKEY is relatively easy to come by given its use in several different Atari products. However, wouldn't the patent from the DPC chip have long expired, allowing anyone to reproduce it? Perhaps the DPC functionality could be duplicated in a PIC of some sort?

..Al

Perhaps the DPC functionality could be duplicated in a PIC of some sort?

I think Chad said he looked into duplicating it in the CC2, but it was too complicated to include. I don't think it's terribly complicated, but it does include quite a few functions and I'm guessing it would have required a larger FPGA, raising the cost of the CC2 even more.

And I believe the DPC chip and ROM are integrated into one chip in the Pitfall 2 cart, so it's not like you can just pull the DPC and use it with an EPROM to make a new DPC game. Otherwise I probably would have tried that already. :)

-paul

Perhaps the DPC functionality could be duplicated in a PIC of some sort?

I think Chad said he looked into duplicating it in the CC2, but it was too complicated to include. I don't think it's terribly complicated, but it does include quite a few functions and I'm guessing it would have required a larger FPGA, raising the cost of the CC2 even more.

And I believe the DPC chip and ROM are integrated into one chip in the Pitfall 2 cart, so it's not like you can just pull the DPC and use it with an EPROM to make a new DPC game. Otherwise I probably would have tried that already. :)

-paul

Interesting, I've never opened a Pitfall 2 cart so I didn't realize that it wasn't a seperate chip. Doesn't really surprise me now that I think about it though.

Mitch